• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Bemidji Musky Report

I spent a few days this week guiding up on Lake Bemidji for muskies. We fished Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday....right after the big storms, and the cold front came through. Conditions were terrible...high skies, cool temps, and northwest wind. We had trouble moving fish, and basically threw the tackle box at them. The fish were sluggish to say the least. We knew we were looking for one good bite, and if we got it, we'd better make it count. Our chance came right at sunset on Wednesday. Brad Engel from the Chicago area hooked up with a monster on a wind blown flat, and it turned out to be a fish of a lifetime. It all happened so quickly that it's a blur, but the fish bit a musky safari maribou in black and orange, and we had it in the net in 30 seconds flat! Those big fish tend to wallow on top, and Brad pressured this one hard enough where it never got down enough to really fight. When I saw what he had, I netted it the first chance I got. It measured 55 inches long with a 23 inch girth. It was built like a block...same girth from behind the head way back close to the anal fin. We figured the fish weighed 40-45 pounds. Attached is Brad with his fish....Brad's a tall guy at 6'6", I gave him a hard time that it's his fault his fish doesn't look as big as it should. Congrats to Brad....he fished really hard, and he deserves it. Lake Bemidji continues to put out some real monsters. Good luck if you're headed that way.

54330003-1.jpg

Sweet fish Tim, thanks again for taking me out a couple weeks ago it was a blast, cant wait till next summer/fall grin.gif