• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Law? Cased Bows? lcornice?

chucker34

I remember this being debated last year? And I didn't find anything in the reg book...but do you have to have your bow cased until a certain time before you start hunting. What I'm wondering is, can I climb into my stand an hour or two before shooting light with my bow and hang it and wait until legal shooting time to use it? Or do I need to have it cased until a certain time? lcornice?

I would surely think that you only need it cased if you were in a motorized vehicle. But as many laws in this state are stupid...you never know tongue.gif

If the question is, can you be in your stand before legal shooting hours in the morning and have your bow with you the answer is yes. Just dont knock an arrow until legal shooting time. No case is needed. So, no knocked arrow before or after legal shooting hours and you should be fine.

This is the way the DNR explained it to me today.

Thanks HL. I just found the old post too. Anywhoo, I like to get in plenty early, often at least an hour before legal shooting light since I'm likely to kick up deer otherwise in the spots I hunt.

No, you do not have to have your bow cased on your way to the stand. However, make sure you have it fully cased while in a vehicle.

Without trying to slam the DNR here... why in the world does MN make you case your bow in the first place? I mean, shooting your bow out the window would be mighty tough grin.gif. Never heard of anyone "road hunting" with their bow and arrows.

Again, not bashing, just asking. Anyone know their reasoning behind it?

I do believe that one can have his bow in a vehicle without a case. It would need to be unstrung or in the trunk or out of reach of the driver.

I'm sure that the law needs to be in place as some would try to somehow shoot from a vehicle. Thats usually why these laws are put in place as someone tried to do it and got caught.

One could and Im sure some have tried to shoot a deer with a bow from the box of a pickup truck.

Also from the inside of a van.

Something that I like to do similar to not nocking an arrow is I don't put my release on until a just before shooting time.

The law is the same as for firearm hunters. You can have your firearm in the woods with you, but if you outside of legal shooting time there better not be a round in the chamber. This is a great question to have out there for others to read.

We don't have to case our bows here in SoDak and we don't have a problem. After living here for over 10 years and having thousands of conversations about deer hunting, I have never heard of someone trying to take a deer from the front seat or bed of the truck. Yes, I'm sure it has been attemped before, but it's silly to think that hunters driving around with uncased bows is a threat to the deer population.

poachers are poachers. Doesnt bug me as I always follow the law to the exact letter. If the DNR believes that they need to have this law on the books to stop a few, then fine.

In North Dakota one doesnt have to case a firearm in a car or truck. Plenty of lawbreakers about shooting from the windows there. We have turned plenty in.

Rost, I have seen and heard plenty of silly and crazy things some hunters will pull to get a deer and nothing would suprise me anymore.

Hunters will place motion detectors by their bait pile so deer will get use to the lights. Then they will go there at night and when the lights come on, pick the deer and shoot. You name it and some will do it.

Yep, crazy stuff will happen.

Wanna see a funny site during deer season? Drape a buck deer hide (with antlers) over a saw horse about 100 yards off the road. Sit back and enjoy the show! grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

No, you do not have to have your bow cased on your way to the stand. However, make sure you have it fully cased while in a vehicle.

Without trying to slam the DNR here... why in the world does MN make you case your bow in the first place? I mean, shooting your bow out the window would be mighty tough
grin.gif
. Never heard of anyone "road hunting" with their bow and arrows.

Again, not bashing, just asking. Anyone know their reasoning behind it?

I apologize for not responding, I just noticed the post. I don't know know where (or why) the law originated but I have seen road hunting with bows. When I lived in Utah it was very common to see people driving around with the hunters in the truck bed. I even saw one guy hanging onto the tire rack of Toyota 4Runner. So, while it's not very effective, it's been done.

its kind of like rifle hunting, you can sit in your stand all night long, with it loaded, if you want. you just can't shoot until half hour before sunrise.

a firearm cannot be transported without a case unless its in the trunk unloaded or disassembled.

Quote:

I would surely think that you only need it cased if you were in a motorized vehicle. But as many laws in this state are stupid...you never know
tongue.gif

minnesota, even though i love this state, its my home and always will be, we do have a lot of stupid laws! no law against it "yet" to my knowledge.

I guess i cant see not having my bow in its case when i am driving. I have a regular cab pickup so it is always in the bed, and i dont want it bouncing around, knocking the sight around or maybe even nicking my string against something.

you think those are dumb laws check this ones out? do a search for minnesota dumb laws. the dnr is actually made up of some pretty smart people.

The land of 10,000 lakes declares mosquitos a public nuisance.Full TextIt is illegal to stand around any building without a good reason to be there.Full TextA person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.It is illegal to sleep naked.All men driving motorcycles must wear shirts.Citizens may not enter Wisconsin with a chicken on their head.Oral sex is prohibited.All bathtubs must have feet.

Who knew? I just went to Wis. this weekend with a chicken on my head. Lucky I didn't get caught! laugh.gif