• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

noctural bears

north red river

I started baiting on the 19th and I have a camera out....I was getting plenty of daytime and nigthime pics of maybe 4-6 different bear. Now for some odd reason the past three days i'm getting all night pics. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary while baiting to have any reasoning for it.

Any advice on what I could do to change this??

Try to get a hold of a bait the bears arent used to, for example most people dont use beaver meat. New scents in the area may bring them in sooner.

I've never done it but some guys go in to bait an leave, then come back in hour or so an remove the bait in hopes of getting the bear to come in earlier or he'll miss supper. My first bear was a night feeder, I had baited himm all Sept. an on my last try Sept. 30th I tried some I had'nt before, I did a bacon burn. He just could'nt take it an came in about half hour before sundown, stuck his nose in the bacon pot an I sent an arrow through him. Boar

If you have time bait in the morning and take it out in the evening. That way they have to come during daylight hours. It worked for a buddy last year. Also try different bait like the previous poster said.

I recently bought a bear caller....the video says the if you do the sow n heat call you could get the night bear to come in at shooting hours. Anyone ever try calling before?

I've done some fawn distress calling before while on stand. Nothing came charging in, but I have seen bears after calling. I can't say for sure if I called them in, or they would have come in anyhow.

it just might be the full moon. otherwise switch up your baits right before you want to hunt that spot

I hunted last night with near perfect conditions, only thing was a very bright sky. Nothing showed. This morninig I had to be in the area so I decided to save time an bait, it was eleven oclock. My site was tore up,Good an bad, now I just have to get him to come in during daylight. I'm thinking I should really cut back on the bait to 1/4 of what I've been using to much an they tend to come in when ever. Pluse I have the means to bait in the morning before work then bust go out in the evening an either hunt an take the bait out with me, leaving just a little hand full, or not hunt but still leave a little teaser. What do you guys think? This is pretty much the only way I can think of to turn him to daytime. Biff, how long did your buddy have to work at it this way to get his bear? Pluse the warm weather is really working against us this year, This weekend is really supposed to cool down into the lower 60's wich should help. Maybe not pressuring till it coools down should help to. Boar

He thought around 4 days to get him coming in during the day. What a warm weekend. I had baseball all weekend and could not get out. I pulled 2 of my baits and I checked the other one on private land today and nothing. I talked to the homeowner and he said he has been checking it too mad.gif He also told me he has been shooting trap back there to get ready for the upcoming bird season mad.gifmad.gif No wonder there isn't nothing touching my bait. New baits out on Tuesday. Nothing like starting over from scratch a couple days into the season.

Lots of season left,If I was to start over I would just use the scent ball with teaser bait till it cools down cause it is to blasted hot, nothing likes to move in this heat, so save your bait, move away from the trap shooter, an wait till it cools down. the tough thing is bow season starts soon an there will be more traffic in the woods an bird hunters too. danged if ya do an danged if ya dont. Boar

Just a quick question. How do you guys do "a bacon burn"? I would like to try this for something new or just that extra kick.

I posted this some wheres but cant remember where. So Take a large coffee metel can an poke a bunch of holes around the around bottom of the can, Just below the top poke three two four sets of holes directly across from each other. In these hole you wil place wire hanger cliped to size, the wire hanger will make a grid to set a smaller metal can on like a soup can but I like a smaller metal coffee can better. Inside the big can you will place acouple small tea candles the one you put in pumkins two usually dose it. Dont poke the hole around the bottom to big or wind will blow out the candles, just big enough to get oxygen to the flame. One guy brought up a safty tip an thats to clear the ground around the burner two about the a three foot radius cause a grease fire in the woods is not a good thing. Dont use a sterno the flame is too intense an burns the bacon you just want to warm it up, A bear sticks his nose in near the can an gets popped by grease before you get a shots an he's gone. It's like frying bacon naked. So you need to experiment first to get a good burn. I like using other things like two cups water an a big packet of cherry jello mix or a anis syrup. Again the key is to just warm bacon if it's sizzling an popping that could deter a bear even before he comes in, so one candle might work. bring a small hand garden claw with you to effectivly clear a big area if you use bacon. Good luck, boar

Thanks Boar! I'm definitely going to give it a try. hunting 3 days this weekend! It's guys going out of their way to help others learn what makes this site such a success and my favorite site to surf for anything! I'll Let you know how it works when I return. sm54

I tried to burn honey this past weekend. My heat source was a little too close. The entire area where I hunt was all smoke.

Then the flames came - about 6 inches high. great for cover scent, bad for bears.

My bait got hit that night though..

I seen a bear today. To bad it was on the way to work and not in the stand. A cub ran across the road near the town of Dalbo. One of my baits may have gotten hit. The big log laying on top was moved to the back and the 2 smallest logs were moved and some donuts were gone along with some laying next to the bait. Coons maybe? I will take pics tomorrow. It doesn't seem like hunting season with it being 90 degrees.

I was in after work to bait and am still getting hits, I should should say a hit. I'm sure i'm down to one bear , the dominate boar in the area. I still havent did the pulling of the bait trick yet, i'm donna try something else first. I really thought of my bait site at work today, an i really am not pleased with my set up, I am 30 yards of he site an down wind of any north breeze, I moved my two man ladder stand from it's place of 15 yards for bow to 30 yrds this season for muzzleloader. I did'nt have a extendable pole saw to trim the tops of bushes an trees so I removed what I had to for shooting which seems to be to much cause when I look an thinks about it more an more, the bear has a very clear view to my ladder stand an it really sticks out like a sore thumb, an so would I, even 30 yrds out in the trees, I'm sure he just dosent like the looks of that thing sitting there. So i grabed a hang on stand an whent 30 yards back towords the old tree, quickly hung it about 7 feet up back in the shadows where I'm totaly lost in the under brush an over hanging branches. The question is should I take down the the ladder stand? Boar

I would say no. Keep everything original as possible. If you take down the stand the bear will know something is missing and may get spooked.

I agree. I had a bear come in from behind me once but he stopped. I thought he saw my stand and me in it so I left that one and set up another one across from it. The next night I saw the bear come in and he looked up at the stand and saw it was empty. That was the last thing he saw. smile.gif

Well boar I am glad to see that you are still getting hits. I went out after work yesterday and found my bait smoked again. I could have hunted opener but do to the temp i decided to wait until this weekend since the weather will cool off. i did get some trail cam pics so if he is as big as i think he is i will post them later today or tomorrow.

Moon didnt help.

With all the wind in the last week theres food down everywhere and with the clowns running around on the wheelers this is my last weekend I will hunt .. Weekdays after this..

I have been watching a sow for a month now.. She brings in her 2 cubs and "jumps" everytime she hears any sounds human related in the distance..

Unlike some I wont shoot her for the simple fact sooner or later she will have the right company following her in besides she is providing future hunting...

.. With the cooler temps coming things will improve/././.

I agree...

Bright moon, strong winds and warm temps were not a good opening weekend recipe! Cooler temps this weekend will get them moving. A guy in the camp where I'm hunting shot a 450-500 #er last night. 2 other 200#ers passed up last night... the cold front went through there last night. Also we've had lot's of sows with cubs that have been passed on this week...

Good Luck!

Ken

Whent to bait today an still getting hit, two spore in the site area, about the size of a salad plate or smaller, seems small in relation to the claw marks I'm getting, so maybe another bear has moved in or two of last years cubs. I really hope its not cubs with mom cause the only place to put my alternate stand to hunt this weekend in with in a dead fall an only two feet of the ground, it will be interesting. thinking on doing an anise burn tomorrow evening, maybe hickory marinaded bacon. Suppose to rain, wish i coulda been out tonight but the wife had to play bingo, oh well, sacrifice sacrifice what do ya do. Boar

Just checked the forcast supposed to rain all day up to a half an inch, would you guys hunt in this? Boar