• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new type of credit card theft

got this email from a member of our fire department.

Quite interesting.

SCENE 1.

This is a new one.

People sure stay busy trying to cheat us, don't they?

A friend went to the local gym and placed his belongings in the locker.

After the workout and a shower, he came out, saw the locker open, and thought to himself, "Funny, I thought I locked the locker.

Hmm, "He dressed and just flipped the wallet to make sure all was in order.

Everything looked okay - all cards were in place.

A few weeks later his credit card bill came - a whooping bill of $14,000!

He called the credit card company and started yelling at them, saying that he did not make the transactions.

Customer care personnel verified that there was no Mistake in the system and asked if his card had been stolen.

"No," he said, but then took out his wallet, pulled out the credit card, and yep - you guessed it - a switch had been made.

An expired similar credit card from the same bank was in the wallet. The thief broke into his locker at the gym and switched cards.

Verdict: The credit card issuer said since he did not report the card missing earlier, he would have to pay the amount owed to them.

How much did he have to pay for items he did not buy?

$9,000! Why were there no calls made to verify the amount swiped?

Small amounts rarely trigger a "warning bell" with some credit card companies. It just so happens that all the small amounts added up to big one!

SCENE 2.

A man at a local restaurant paid for his meal with his credit card. The bill for the meal came, he signed it, and the waitress folded the receipt and passed the credit card along.

Usually, he would just take it and place it in his wallet or pocket. Funny enough, though, he actually took a look at the card and, lo and behold, it was the expired card of another person.

He called the waitress and she looked perplexed. She took it back, apologized, and hurried back to the counter under the watchful eye of the man.

All the waitress did while walking to the counter was wave the wrong expired card to the counter cashier, and the counter cashier immediately looked down and took out the real card.

No exchange of words --- nothing! She took it and came back to the man with an apology.

Verdict: Make sure the credit cards in your wallet are yours. Check the name on the card every time you sign for something and/or the card is taken away for even a short period of time.

Many people just take back the credit card without even looking at it, "assuming" that it has to be theirs.

FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, DEVELOP THE HABIT OF CHECKING YOUR CREDIT CARD EACH TIME IT IS RETURNED TO YOU AFTER A TRANSACTION!

SCENE 3: Yesterday I went into a pizza restaurant to pick up an order that I had called in. I paid by using my Visa Check Card which, of course, is linked directly to my checking account.

The young man behind the counter took my card, swiped it, then laid it on the counter as he waited for the approval, which is pretty standard procedure.

While he waited, he picked up his cell phone and started dialing. I noticed the phone because it is the same model I have, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Then I heard a click that sounded like my phone sounds when I take a

picture.

He then gave me back my card but kept the phone in his hand as if he was still pressing buttons. Meanwhile, I'm thinking: I wonder what he is taking a picture of, oblivious to what was really going on.

It then dawned on me: the only thing there was my credit card, so now I'm paying close attention to what he is doing. He set his phone on the counter, leaving it open.

About five seconds later, I heard the chime that tells you that the picture has been saved. Now I'm standing there struggling with the fact that this boy just took a picture of my credit card.

Yes, he played it off well, because had we not had the same kind of phone, I probably would never have known what happened.

Needless to say, I immediately canceled that card as I was walking out of the pizza parlor. All I am saying is, be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Whenever you are using your credit card take caution and don't be careless. Notice who is standing near you and what they are doing when you use your card.

Be aware of phones, because many have a camera phone these days. When you are in a restaurant and the waiter/waitress brings your card and receipt for you to sign, make sure you scratch the number off.

Some restaurants are using only the last four digits, but a lot of them are still putting the whole thing on there.

I have already been a victim of credit card fraud and, believe me, it is not fun. The truth is that they can get you even when you are careful, but don't make it easy for them.

O

Excellent reminders - I just had someone use my card number, expiration date, and security code to make a $150 purchase from a vendor that I would never use. Reported it as soon as it turned up on the bill and the bank is covering it. I will be a LOT more conscious now!

Daze Off

I had nearly the exact same thing happen to me as scenario #1 at Northwest Fitness (before lifetime took over) at 494 & Crosstown location. My luck was that a clerk at Circuit City became suspicious of the guy purchasing $4000 of merchandise after walking in the store just 1 minute prior. Asked him for ID and the thief took off and left the credit card at the store. This was after he already charged $1800 at Best Buy 5 minutes prior.

Cops told me it's a fairly common thief tactic these days. Bottom line, lock your locker even when just going to shower at the club. Don't leave your wallet open even for a minute. I was extremely lucky, and it still sucked big time.

When you pay at any restaurant and use your credit card they leave with it and go over to thier station to swipe it, your usually talking and what not and they are writing down your CC number to use on line somewhere, its happened to a few people I know. I try to always bring cash with to restaurants, but this can happen anywhere.

It's a small line of defense, but never sign the back of your cards, always put "See I.D." on the back. you get asked maybe 50% of the time for your I.D., but it may help if you loose your CC. Charged amounts of $25 or less are not requiring a signature these days as well, so you can't count on the clerk to check the signature either. You have to protect your self at every turn.

Its kind of like at the gas station or bait store, you run in to get some minnows and when you return your tackle box is gone. You threw it in the boat before you left so that it was in the boat when you launched, but while you were inside somebody walked by and its gone. Easy pickings.

Quote:

It's a small line of defense, but never sign the back of your cards, always put "See I.D." on the back.

Its a very small defense. A fake ID with your name and the crooks picture is not hard to come. Since almost every college student under the age of 21 has one they must be incredibly easy to get. And now if they have the ID with correct name it looks even more legit for the clerk at the counter. And then there is no signature to compare.

"It's a small line of defense, but never sign the back of your cards, always put "See I.D." on the back"

Retailers and card companies discourage this practice. Read the back of your card "NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED". The retailer should refuse the card unles your signature is "See I.D."

Truth is credit cards and bank cards are probably the least secure means of paying for anything. How many places even check for a signature on the back of the card much less compare it to the signature on the receipt? And how many require a signature anyway? What about mail order? We give out our card numbers, expiration dates, and validation numbers over the internet or telephone all the time. Any one of these situations could easily turn into theft. All the other party has to do is write down the information and order what they want from anywhere. By the time you get your bill and realize it, they've taken thousands. There actually is no safe way to use a credit card or bank card. The numbers become public the instant you use them.

Bob

Block Buster card will getcha!!!!

Yep, I rent one video...two months later,,,they claim I have 5 outstanding rentals...after a month of numerous phone calls and store visits where supervisor was not in store...turns out that the clerk charged my rental and 5 more immediately after I left the store on my card because it was still on their computer...some more phone calls, till finally one customer service supervisor actually listen to me and looked at my rental history...Why would someone have one rental and come back with five more rentals one minute later? Outstanding charges and rental was cleared...Yep, I never rent from BlockBuster anymore...Why would I rent anything anymore,...,I make that free time, fishing time... grin.gif

When my wallet was stolen the guy used my blockbuster card and rented a couple of game systems. They paid the rental fee but never returned anything.

The blockbuster called me asking for the rental equipment back and found out that the card was stolen and that I had a police report filed to prove it.

The guy at blockbuster was mad as heck. I think he tried to look at the security video to see if they could ID the guy but I never heard if anything came of it.

About 6 months to a year later a Minneapolis police officer found my drivers license with a homeless guy that got arrested for public intoxication.

Quote:

Truth is credit cards and bank cards are probably the least secure means of paying for anything.

And look at how many places don't even take checks anymore. Pretty soon they won't even accept cash at McDonalds. It's like they are setting us up to get ripped off. mad.gif

I accidently discovered that someone had made purchases using the numbers from my cash card. I did all the stuff that you are supposed to do and my money was returned to my account.

But, the thief used my numbers, over the phone, to order a pizza, pay a cable bill, pay a cell phone bill and buy another phone and service. Cable bill was over $100.00 and phone was over $200.00...whats up with companies accepting that stuff over the phone, for that amount, with no proof as to whom the purchaser really is?

I believe that the situation happened at either Menards, or Home Depot....at both places on two different days, they said the card wouldn't swipe and that they had to make a hard copy? Worked everywhere else? Next time someone tells me that, they can restock the shelves with whatever it is I'm buying, cause that isn't happening again!

Here's something else....the pizza had to be delivered to someone at someplace? The cable connection has to be hooked up to someones residence and the cell phone has to be registered to someone, otherwise how do they know who to send the bill to?

Doesn't seem to me like it would take Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out and catch the perps?

Quote:

"It's a small line of defense, but never sign the back of your cards, always put "See I.D." on the back"

Retailers and card companies discourage this practice. Read the back of your card "NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED". The retailer should refuse the card unles your signature is "See I.D."

I've noticed several businesses lately with signs saying if it isn't signed don't bother. The post office does the same thing!

I do both - - I sign the card and then write "SEE ID" in very bold letters. Most often I get asked for my ID. Hopefully you would notice your card is missing before someone could make a fake ID with your name and his/her picture.

I check my statement online regularly. I work on a computer so it is easy for me to do during work. If someone was to use my CC I would know within a day or so. I don't know how many times I have caught my wife buying something we didn't need. shocked.giflaugh.gif