• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
ITSATHRILL

Somebody to guide Lake Trout Fishing Ely area

ITSATHRILL

We have never ventured up to that area in the winter and have decied to go up and try it throught the ice, does anybody know of somebody that will guide us on the ice to try and catch some Trout ( would like to try for some lakers ) and what is the best time for them through the ice? We want whoever we choose to not only guide us but to "teach" us so we can be self sufficient next time we come up.

ditchpickle6996

Go to Burntside or Snowbank and find some structure in 40-60 ft. of water. Jig some spoons 10 ft. off the bottom or where ever your vex shows fish. Hang a dead stick or tip-up with a cisco half way down the water collum. If you hook into one hold on!

JustinG

I might be available to guide you depending on when you were thinking about coming up here. Give me a shout. phantom_lord@charter.net Anytime is a good time to be fishing trout, although, the earlier in the season, the better.

Justin

Surface Tension

ITSATHRILL, around the end of January we'll have the Burnside Bash. Its free and everyone is welcome.

Great Outdoors

ITSATHRILL

Though it is a nice gresture that JustinG has extended to guide you, I have fished with him, and truth be known, bringing some brauts for shore lunch wouldn't hurt! grin.gif

Steve Foss

I know of no licensed lake trout winter guide in the Ely area except for a handful of mushers who take clients into Knife and other BWCAW lakes via dog sleds. There are plenty of knowledgeable winter laker anglers on this forum, and several live in Ely.

I'd suggest coming to this winter's Burntside Bash which, as Frank said, is free and full of great tips from he, I and Chunkytrout on how to ice lakers. Frank has 30 years experience at that game and Chunky and I, though with fewer years under our belts, fish mostly Burntside for winter lakers, and fish them hard. If after the bash you still feel you want a guide for Burntside, I reckon you can ask around there and someone will help you out. In the immediate Ely area, laker fishing means Burntside or Snowbank, and Burntside is the better option on any given day. And for what it's worth, I believe a guide should ALWAYS be a teacher.

The bash is generally the last weekend in January. If you have more questions, my e-mail is always listed in my signature below each post.

chunkytrout

ITSATHRILL, I highly suggest you show up to the Bash. I would mark January 26th 2008 on your calendar with a big star and make reservations a head of time for your stay as it's usually busy in town that weekend. There, you will meet IMHO some of the best ice anglers in the state as well as alot of newbies to winter laker fishing. There's alot to be learned and alot of fun to be had.

Surface Tension

This Thread Click Here will give you a good head start.

Steve Foss

Amazing. Still August and already the Burntside Bash talk has started. grin.gif

The bash is the same weekend each year as a massive snowmobile run that comes through Ely, so it's a good idea to get motel reservations early.

GoggleEye

Well, I am glad that I read this thread, I never knew there was a burntside bash in January. I will definitely be coming up for that if I am free. Hope to meet some of the fm'ers on here and maybe catch a trout or two! I am sure I will learn something too as I know nothing about fishing for lake trout! Thanks for giving me the heads up about the bash guys!

GoggleEye

chunkytrout

Quote:

Amazing. Still August and already the Burntside Bash talk has started.
grin.gif

Frank, how many pages was the second BSide Bash? Like 60 something? Maybe more. Never to early to start!

bwtrout

jeepers Chunk, you just got the silver bullet going...