• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I will be on Detroit Lake this weekend for a wedding & plan to squeeze some muskie fishing in. I've never fished the lake before. Could someone give me a tip on how to start fishing it for muskie? I'm not looking for specific areas but more for methods.

Thanks,

Brad

Bulldogs and Double Cowgirls have produced a lot of fish out there this year. My very general suggestion would be to find the sharp breaks that have cabbage on them and work them over good. You'll likely find some fish. If it goes like it has all year, you'll likely find a crapload of other guys doing the same thing (pressure, pressure, pressure). Good luck!

Especially the bright ugly pink cowgirls... Sure, they will laugh at you when you buy them, but it has been hot on DL.

Hope to make it up there too. Weather pattern looks good and I've got a hunger for the big Kahuna burger at the Lakeside.

Thanks for the tips. Is there a store in DL that sells muskie tackle, or should I stop somewhere in fargo?

Thanks,

Brad

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. Is there a store in DL that sells muskie tackle, or should I stop somewhere in fargo?

Thanks,

Brad

Scheels would be a better bet in Fargo. I know the scheels here in St Cloud carries Cowgirls, while the price is hard to swallow, no one will argue with the results.

There's no longer a high end tackle place in Detroit Lakes.

Quality Tackle on Washington Ave. just north of the lake has some musky gear, including Cowgirls, and they keep an ear on what is happening locally. Owners name is John. Fleet and Lake Sports have a small selection of mainly cranks, bent arm spinners and topwaters, but nothing compared to Scheels with an entire section of Showgirls and Cowgirls in every color. Maybe we'll see you out there.

I am actually at Lakeside right now using the wireless internet. MMMMM big Kuhuna. Any way moved some huge fish today. Pretty active too.I hoping for a good evening bite.

just landed at the airport at 5pm. Looks like the wind ahead of the front is keeping the boating action a bit slow.

Hopefully have a report later.

Let's just say it was well worth the effort of fighting the wind tonight as the front approached and pressure dropped. My 15 year old son landed his first ski on a black and red cowgirl. Nice fish that was photo'd and released.