• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Girth

Bassman09

I heard a rumor that a lot of the walleyes in the protected slot are extremely skinny this summer. Is there any truth to this rumor?

Here are a couple of ours from last week.

p1010343pn3.th.jpg

p1010346bj7.th.jpg

These are 23-24inch fish, very skinny in my opinion.

To compare, here is a fat 24 incher I caught elseware last fall

dsc00717in3.th.jpg

Granted, most summer fish are usually skinny. They get big in the fall because they put the feed bags on for winter and stay big in the winter because of low metabolism.

I agree, its the only comparable pic I had. I stopped and fished on the whitefish chain on the way up and got a 23 that was way fatter, but no pic of that one. You are indeed correct that they get bigger in fall, but these URL walleyes are very skinny.

Some times the males seem to have much larger heads ...have not kept track out of Red so don't know if it applies??? confused.gif

Those are river fish. For some reason the river fish are starving out and refuse to move out to the lake. The boys at the DNR are even puzzled by this. The fish are running out of food and water but stay in the river. Funny thing is you can catch walleye within 50 yards of the lake and they are skinny, go out to the lake within 100 yards of the river and the fish are fat and healthy.

So it's only the larger river walleyes that are super skinny. Does anyone know if these river eyes stay in the river all winter or do they leave when the water freezes? That is good news that the eyes found in the main lake are nice and fat. Also, what does everyone think about possibly increasing the protected slot to 19 inches like LOTW? I think this could help even out the size structure of the walleye population which will ensure good numbers of fish for years. Just wondering what everyone thought.

I was wondering about that for the fact that in the winter all the fish are fat and healthy.....haven't been up in the summer to comment on the health of the fish but to go from what they are in the winter to that (picture) would be hard to believe!!

Easy explanation; it's the SEALS.

They have noticed the numbers gradually but steadily dwindlin' in their herd of crappies. They've come to realize that it's time to diversify; now that there's free range Walleyes to be had at just about every turn. But with any wild free-range population, Ya gotta round 'em up and corral 'em before you can start to herd 'em. The Seals must have just begun Walleye round ups this summer; seems ta be their corralin' 'em in the river.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.