• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Gordie

early anterless deer season

Gordie

do any of you guys hunt this or intend to hunt in october for deer. I know its bow season and waterfowl season but I think that I'm going to go for some early veni sausage this year.

Jameson

We have hunted the last two EA seasons on the same 40 acre parcel of private land. Taking 3 the first year, 4 the second. No deer were spotted on regular opener either year. Deer were seen again later in the season on that parcel.

This year we are hunting public land for EA season. Love to get those two extra days of hunting in nice and early. The doe venison is great, too. But not seeing any deer on opener has us rethinking our ways.

Good Luck!

DonBo

We've had an early doe season in Wisconsin for years. Its idea is to thin the herd where needed. Unfortunatly that is mostly on private land. As Jameson stated, most people with private land hunt the public land instead. Those of us stuck on public land all the time get hosed on this deal. frown.gif

Once you start banging away with firearms, the deer get real scarce for weeks. The public land gets raped, the private land still has too many deer.

We fought long and hard enough to finally make this hunt go away in Wisconsin. Let's hope Minnesota hunters learn from this sooner rather than later.

Code-Man

If I remember to buy my tag i plan on doing it. Should be a blast

maros91

I have hunted the EA season the past 2 years with no success. I hunted public land near Milaca and I think there is just to many things going on at the time. pheasant hunters and grouse hunters. Too many people walking around makes for tough deer hunt. I seen a couple of guys dragging deer but not many. Like someone else said, public land gets hunted hard and IMO ruins the regular deer season.

maros91

I think the way to go is to just knock on doors and ask permission on private land. Some landowners may say no because you have a gun and they don't know you but it never hurts to ask.

DRH1175

I hunted it the last 2 seasons on our Private land in Almulund. We did manage 3 deer the first year. But nothing last year. I noticed a lot less deer during Regular season. Not sure if it is related to it or not. This year we are just waiting for the regular season since I do a lot of bow hunting in other areas anyways. I honestly have mixed reviews and since I am a bow hunter I would prefer the season to be nixed. Why not just add a 3rd weekend in zone 2a instead!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wakemup
      65-66 in Norwegian yesterday and 63 in Niles.
    • Wanderer
      Ely area lakes were showing 69-71 today.  That was a warmer than expected surface temp but I doubt it goes very deep.  Very little spawn activity compared to past years for this weekend.
    • eyeguy 54
      I like the stretch upriver better but can only drift down that area.  I would wear my arms out traveling up stream!   Hopefully do a drift down soon.  
    • jhousenga
      59 crossing Daisy Bay Friday night. 67 in Big Bay this afternoon.
    • monstermoose78
      The stearms in the arrowhead are small very small I would recommend a 6 foot or short rod for most streams as you will be pitching your bait out. They are also over grown with brush wading these streams is a challenge. You will be fishing for mostly brook trout above the first posted boundary FYI it’s normally a large water fall but not always. Also the first week of June there will not be much from the lake to the first posted boundary anyways. Remember there special regs below the first posted boundary and the above the first posted boundary.  If you want to use your fly rod I would hit the small trout lakes in the area. A split shot and small chunk of crawler is my go to bait for Brookies. There are a few streams with some browns and rainbows but very few. If you are fly fishing look at Thompson lake by  devilstrack lake it’s catch and release. Mink lake, kimball lake are also good. 
    • Squirrelhawke
      Growing up in South Dakota I did quite a bit of fishing in the black hills for browns and rainbows, most of that fishing was best accomplished with a long pole and just drifting my bait down the stream if you can read the eddies and slacks in the water you should do fine.  Of course I'm assuming they bite the same up north as they do out west.  It was a kick when I went  back out there 2 years ago and on Sunday morning fished the little 6 ft wide stream running behind the campground, all the other campers were amazed that I would pull out a fish about every 20-30 ft no monsters but plenty of little beauties at 7-10 inches. If the water is clean and the fish are there you just gotta find out what they are eating at that time of year.  Hopefully this helps and if I'm wrong some of the guys with Minnesota experience will pipe up. 
    • Squirrelhawke
      I do a bit of fishing from the coon rapids dam on down to 694 and I usually bring 2 rods because I lose at least one lure to the rocks. Bear that in mind and also realize that there are nice smallies, eyes and cats in that stretch of river. I also had over 3 feet of pike eat my stink bait I had out for channel cats. If I didn't have a circle hook on it would have been a nice pic to share. Good luck and hope to hear of some good luck. 
    • delcecchi
      It would take a lot of code to make multiple windows tiling the screen work, would be my guess, and would create few additional sales so isn't worth the expenses.    Just pick up an inexpensive 5 to 7 inch unit and use it for the map.   
    • Wanderer
      You look like the Phantom Fisherman - except the toes.  Or maybe the River Detective  🕵️‍♂️ Gotta love those good runs in short times!   
    • Bryan P
      Awesome Eyeguy! That is a good run of smallies there. I like your spot, that was my favorite fishing stretch for them when I lived in St cloud. Mississippi is such a great smallie fishery. Im blessed to live right next to it too. Now lets get the current to go down some!