• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Expensive Goose Calls. Are they worth it?

I need more information. For example I want a short reed that sounds GREAT which is made for a beginner (easy to use). One that includes a CD would be good. Otherwise can someone recommend a good CD?

Quote:

I need more information. For example I want a short reed that sounds GREAT which is made for a beginner (easy to use). One that includes a CD would be good. Otherwise can someone recommend a good CD?

There have been a lot of great CD's that have come out in the last year or so. Bad Grammar by Scott Thrienen is my favorite. He's a MN guy that has hit the big time in the goose calling world. I also like Dave Smith's Breakthrough II. Both go from the basics to some advanced stuff. As far as calls go, for a starter call I could really strongly look at the Winglock short reed that is made out of Delrin. It is a great started call that is as easy to run as they come. It is backed by excellent customer service, and best of all it is in the $60 price range. Virtually an indestructible call. I started with one and since have acquired 25+ calls. 90% of those are high end acrylic calls, but to be completely honest, my Delrin Winglock can keep up with the best of them.

the look and sound of those expensive calls will impress judges at a contest.... but, i would be willing to bet $$$ that there has been just as many if not more geese killed with $15-$50 calls, you can go fancy if you want but the geese "the real judges" seem to like my $20 polycarb just fine

Bushwacker,

Now that's information. Any other calls you know of rival your favorite? Do they have them at Gander & Cabelas?

I bought Shawn Stahl's Honker Talk DVD and got a lot of good info and techniques from it.

As far as calls, I just bought my first acrylic and instantly fell in love. I had been blowing a TG poly SuperMag, and really liked the call, but when the insert cracked I decided to buy an acrylic (Tg Real Thang) and sold the new replacement call to my dad. The sound of the acrylic plus the design of the call are both big reasons why I like it so much. If you're just beginning, don't buy acrylic, but after you blow a bunch of calls and get good, don't be afraid to give one a try.

Long Honker Goose Flute by Big River!!!! $20. Comes with a tape. Me and my 4 buddies have been using them for over 10 years. If you want I can add pictures to back that up. I'm sure the $100 and some dollar calls will work just as well though grin.gif

I think a good beginner call is the RNT Goozilla very goosey call and can get pretty loud for around $25 i believe. Some of the low end poly calls just dont comepare sound wise with the acrylics. Your best bet is to go to the store and blow some of the calls decide witch one you like and practice practice practice.

I would stay with a short reed call though, you can make so many more sounds on them then a flute.

i had a tg super mag. great sounding call. crappy material. snapped the p.o.s. around the band.

Once I bought my first acrylic i fell in love and havent touched another call that wasnt acrylic. But I bought a Foiles Strait meat honker and loved it. I bought a Zink moneymaker this year and cant wait to bust the geese this fall. Its all in how much you want to spend. but I would recamend getting a acrylic call. just my 2 cents

last fall i blew an acrylic h.s. slammer custom, but i wasnt very impressed with it. this winter i bought a winglock short reed acrylic and after some practice i thought i was pretty good with it. and after a little tuning and a lot more practice, i think im great with it. but i feel that ive learned all i can learn on that call, so i picked up a zink moneymaker a few weeks ago. all i can say is wow. after an impromtu lesson from a zink pro staffer, im hitting different sounds and variations that i couldnt do with the winglock. any goose call will kill geese some of the time. theres really only three notes you need to know for hunting. but having the knowledge of other notes and a great call can give you the edge on pressured refuge birds and late season birds like what we hunt. hopefully the moneymaker does that for me.

Honky Tonk...by primos. They are cheap, easy to blow, come with a dvd...or at least mine did...and sound pretty darn good. When I was just starting I ran into this pro hunter dude and asked him for some tips...he wanted to see my call. I told him it was a cheapy and he blew it...looked at the thing and said..."wow..who makes this?!" He was pretty impressed. For the price I dont think it can be beat. I believe it was under twenty bucks.

Quote:

i had a tg super mag. great sounding call. crappy material. snapped the p.o.s. around the band.

mine is going strong smile.gif

before that I blew a Sean Mann Eastern Shoreman flute...both retail around $60, both have been known to pull in the birds from time to time

Just curious as to what you guys think...

Does good calling (calls) trump location & decoy spread?

I know... tough question. grin.gif

I like my winglok derlin great for clucks and double clucks but it could be better if it had better range on the low end. It's a little trickier to pull off the low murmur, which I love to use. I think I payed about fifty dollars for it.

Quote:

I know... tough question.
grin.gif

I would def. say location, location, location.

Location is definatley key, then i would say setup of decoys and concealment. then calling. But on days where your running traffic on birds or hunting migrators you need to be able to call

Location is definatly the number one factor, but after that i would say calling takes second. Geese respond to calling, ive even called them over me with no decoys. With ducks its definatly location and then decoys/setup to me.

Goose calling is not very important, IMO; location, concealment, decoys, and then calling. The thing about calling is that it helps guide the birds into where you want them. It does help finish them off into the decoys.

I have tried just about ever goose call made a few of the best: Giant Killer LG-1, Bay Country Calls Shore Thing, and C&S Custom Calls Prophet. And yes they are worth the money.

Quote:

Bushwacker,

Now that's information. Any other calls you know of rival your favorite? Do they have them at Gander & Cabelas?

I think both Cabelas and Gander have Winglocks. I know Gander had them for an unbelievable price last winter after the season, but I haven't looked this fall yet. Otherwise they have a website that you can search for and Rick Perry, the owner, is about the most helpful guy you will find in goose calls. If you give him a call he will set you up and tune the call to your exact liking. Low end, middle, or high, easy blowing or hard blowing.

Fish&Fowl mentioned Shawn Stahl's DVD Honker Talk and that has been the single most helpful thing I have used to learn how to blow a short read. I actually had it on video and upgraded to the DVD when they came out. It is a few years old, but has definitely stood the test of time and I think is probably still the most used goose calling video out there. Definitely worth its weight in goose meat!!

Other calls to take a look at are the GK Giant Slayer. It is a Acetone call, that is a plastic similar to Delrin. Another indestructable call from a great maker that will get you going for around $60-$75. Other than that my favorites are the Foiles Migrators Strait Meat Honker, GK Giant Killer, and the GK Little Giant.

Quote:

grin.gif

I would say location #1, decoy set up #2, concealment is #3, and calling would be #4. That would be my order for getting 15 yard shots with landing gear down. The more you are hunting traffic bird the more important calling is. I have had times when we have shot birds by me just getting on the call and turning a flock to come over and check out our duck decoys, but that is rare. An ideal situation for me is to have to give a few simple confidence clucks, moans, and murmurs, and call out "take 'em". Is it Saturday yet??????

Any possibility in concern to borrowing one of those DVD's you guys have for a day or two if you're not using them any more?

Quote:

Quote:

grin.gif

I would say location #1, decoy set up #2, concealment is #3, and calling would be #4. That would be my order for getting 15 yard shots with landing gear down. The more you are hunting traffic bird the more important calling is. I have had times when we have shot birds by me just getting on the call and turning a flock to come over and check out our duck decoys, but that is rare. An ideal situation for me is to have to give a few simple confidence clucks, moans, and murmurs, and call out "take 'em". Is it Saturday yet??????

I agree with this. I would also add that good flagging can make a huge difference.

Back to the original question on the expensive calls and whether of not they make the difference, I am not so sure that it necessarily has to be expensive. I believe that there are plenty of short reed poly carb calls that will get the job done as well.

Location, location, location.....good flagging, and a little luck. I have the cheapest goose call I could find on the rack. It kind of sounds like a sickly goose, and I shoot plenty of them.

I'm not saying the high grade calls aren't good. I'm sure they are. However, If I had to make a decision between a dozen decoys or a spendy call, I'd go a dozen decoys every time.

Quote:

Long Honker Goose Flute by Big River!!!! $20. Comes with a tape. Me and my 4 buddies have been using them for over 10 years. If you want I can add pictures to back that up. I'm sure the $100 and some dollar calls will work just as well though
grin.gif

Thats great and all, but what about when geese are tough and need more aggressive, louder calling? Can you do spit notes and quick spits on your big river? Your not gonna get it with a big river! Acrylics last forever and are truly a custom call. They can be tuned to fit any callers style. Well worth it.

I'll be heading to Canada Oct 6 for a week of hunting. This will be I believe my 10th or 11th year. I'll post the pics when I get back. I guess I'll just have to proove what a $20 call can really do. I'm also not saying a $150 call can't so the same thing.

Down2earth - No offense intending with this but going to Canada and doing well is very different than calling in late season birds in Minnesota or Iowa. In Canada you calling can sound more like a kazo and I'm sure the birds will react. A similiar statement could be made with geese this weekend, especially Saturday. They will wise up, otherwise they'll be dead. grin.gif

I used to hunt Lac. Me and 2 others that now go to Canada. Every time we went out there we got our limit (granted that's only 3 birds). But I would argue that those geese are the most shot at, called at, geese in MN. 5 Dozen deeks and the $20 call worked every time no matter how late in the season.

I bought a Tim Grounds call 3 years ago, around $100. The next year a bought another around $50. I would buy another $100 plus call in a second if I needed to. I have used the big river flutes, and still carry one, but there is only so much you can do with a flute. The short reed calls are way more versital. I am saving up to buy a Tim Grounds acrylic call one of these day. they are worth every nickle in my opinion.