• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

BLIND FRAME MATERIAL ?

TTfromBlaine

I'm considering building a blind frame for a 10' jon that I can hang some avery grass on and was thinking about using

PVC pipe maybe 1" or so with clamps on the bottom so they can be moved easily around on the gunnels depending how I can park the boat in the cattails. I would only be putting up the grass on the exposed side of the boat. Has anybody used pvc? I thought it would be light weight and and easy to set up in the dark, then for storage just roll up the grass and bungee the poles to them. any help or thoughts would be great. Thanks Tommy T.

I just finished a frame for a 12ft boat. I used some old tent posts that I had laying around. I managed to put it together in a couple hours. Its very light weight and looks like it will work great. I bolted mine to the boat but with only 4 bolts it only takes a couple minutes to take it off. I still need to buy netting and marsh grass for it yet but Moose(my Lab) and I can't wait to use it!

I'm in the same spot. A buddy of mine has a design using electrical conduit tubing. Does anyone think this will be too heavy for a 12ft. boat? Safety is of utmost importance.

I used 1/2 inch thin wall conduit and it worked wonderfully. It's very light weight.

i would go with 3/4 emt alot stronger than 1/2 and doesnt weigh that much more. Pvc can gete kind of brittle in the cold weather.

Just got done building mine on a 10 foot jon. Used old screen tent poles.

defintetly dont use pvc...it will break and it doesnt hold the weight of the blind material well either. Electrical conduit works so much better and will last longer. I built one last year that folds down just like the kind you can buy and Cabela's for a fraction of the price.

blind001.jpg

blind003.jpg

blind002.jpg

built one out of conduit last year, the actual conduit was plenty strong (3/4"), but the 90 degree elbows kept cracking and breaking on me. Something to keep in mind.

GREAT info and pictures guys, I wont need to be totally surrounded by camo/grass as I'll be parked in the cat's.

I totally dig the flip up idea. JEEZE I have so much fun doin' this stuff grin.gif

By the way anybody lookin' for a new jon boat, DON'T bother with C/P, I got totally blown off twice there mad.gif and L/R they dont have any either, but the guy was cool enough to point me in the right direction.

Quote:

built one out of conduit last year, the actual conduit was plenty strong (3/4"), but the 90 degree elbows kept cracking and breaking on me. Something to keep in mind.

I built one the same way, with the pre-made 90 degree elbows. Had the same problem with them breaking. I would sugest getting a pipe bender and bend your own corners like what ironman did in the pictures of his blind.