• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am hoping Northlander or someone who is intimate with the reg's can answer this for me. Unless we have a resident CO than his/her input would be appreciated.

In the Wi fishing reg's it says I can have 5 walleyes from Lake Superior, but only 2 from the St Louis. Season is open all year in the lake, May 5 thru March 2 in tributaries and connected sloughs.

Minnesota regs says 2 walleye from Lake Superior, season from May 12 to March 2.

Which rule is a guy supposed to follow?

Basically, my question is this. If I put in at Loonsfoot, run over by lets say the mouth of the Amnicon never crossing over into MN waters (I have GPSmap) and troll the south shore. I am allowed 5 walleyes correct? One can also reasonably expect to be able to do this all year long, if the weather and conditions permitted woulodn't you?

Sometimes I wonder which law school I should attend to be able to understand these rules.

Looks like I will be making a stop at the local DNR office in Superior today.

Wade you are correct. You can keep 5 walleyes on the Wi. side of LK. Superior but only one of them can be over 19". With a min. size of 15" Most of your eyes you catch out there are going to be over 19" So its not that easy to get a limit out there, well unless your Northlander wink.gif.

Wade if you stay in Wi. waters you can have 5 walleyes with the sizes Ran told ya. However I would not get caught beyond the border line and go into MN. waters with those 5 walleyes wich would of course make you 3 eyes over your limit.

Another thing is dont stop and fish in the river, on your way back to the landing of your choice, if you have 5 walleyes because as ya know the limit is 2 eyes over 15" on the river.

All kinds of goofy scenerios that could take place but dont get caught with more than 1 over 20" on the lake.

Im going to ask a C.O. a question about fishing for another species in the river after you have 5 eyes on the lake. Myself I wouldnt do it but some may want to after they get blown off the lake or something. Im guessing they would say to either only keep 2 eyes or not fish the river after limiting on the lake. Like I say a lot of possible scenerios they may or may not get ya a ticket.

Thanks fellas, knew I could count on a couple of you to solidify what I thought I understood. Don't worry, If I get blown off with 5 in the well, I am going home.

Ran, the last 2 eyes I caught on the pond were 18" and 17.5"...maybe I found the little ones????????

Wade there will be a few days where you can get into some 14"-17" eyes but most of the time they seem to run 16" - 31.5". I havent seen a true 32" out there yet. Did see a true 32" in the dumpster at Loonsfoot though. frown.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gif The guy cleaned it and took the meat home. That was the day of our Lake Superior gathering.

Personally, 22 is about my max for the fillet knife. If the law says 20, then 20 it is. I will say however, if it were within the rules. (1 over 23" for example) then it is within a persons rights to fillet a 32. Not that I would agree with it, but within their rights.

Sorry Wade I believe its 1 over 19" on the big lake but Ill double check.

Ya on the big lake Ill keep 1 22 or 23"er to eat when I do keep fish. Most of the time your catching eyes too big so its usually just a fun ride and photo shoot.

On the lake more than anyplace they seem to school up by size. Some times you get into the little ones but more often than not you are HAWG HUNTIN.

Oh man theres the name of my new guide service. "HAWG HUNTIN GUIDE SERVICE". What do ay all think of that name?

Maybe "HAWG HUNTERS GUIDE SERVICE"?

Anybody ever seen these names anyplace?

Looking at the regs as I type, Its "1 over 20". Sounds like a great name for a guide svc Steve. As stated by Moby, never heard of it excpet maybe something like it in the deep south in reference to hunting wild pigs.

All this time I been trying to get out on the water with you and I finally find out that cash is required for a guy to be able to go fishing with you. Heck, I was hoping a 12 pack and a day of good jokes and BS would suffice.

Quote:

Oh man theres the name of my new guide service. "HAWG HUNTIN GUIDE SERVICE". What do ay all think of that name?

I think a couple former guys from the ballz draggin crew would buy a trip in a heartbeat! wink.giftongue.gif

There you go Wade..."1 Over 20", a good name for your boat... or Steves Guide Service...or an adult beverage establishment...although I no longer indulge... cool.gif

Wade

Thats an interesting question you made... I would stop and talk to John Krull at the Superior office for clarification... The point of the 5 'eyes is black and white, you can catch and keep 5 in the main lake.. But once you enter the river with those 5 fish (to get to your landing), things can get a little bit more gray than black and white.....

How is the warden to know you caught those fish in the lake if they were not consistantly watching someone the whole time (just trying to play devils advocate). So this could open a whole can of worms..

We have the same problem in some of the smaller rivers around here, you can keep smallmouths under 22 inches in the Bad River, but once you hit the big lake with your boat to get to your landing, the possession limit is 1 over 22".

Poses an interesting scenario both ways, and I would clarify that with John to be sure. Over here, you would be in violation with the bass deal. Which is what it is.. And a good way to keep the non-honest people in check...

Ya 1 walleye over 20" in Cheesey waters. Ran you had me 2nd guessing myself man.

As long as you go straight from the lake to the landing and dont stop and fish your ok. Thats according to the Cheesey DNR. If you stop and fish at all in the St. Louis river they could ticket ya.

Guys its one over 19" wink.gif my bad Steve, I had a brain fart or maybe its the lack of sleep grin.gif. I was told by Jon to that you are fine if you go straight back to the landing and don't stop to fish the river.