• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Luck e 1

What is a big SHeeps Head?

Recommended Posts

Luck e 1

My little bro and I were out on Sat fishing creek inlets. We hooked into three sheeps head that were over 20 inches...biggest was 23. Of course we have no photos (why would he charge his batteries).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DTro

They get monster man. If you do a search you can find some post of some very big sheepies caught over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hanson

They can get monster like Dtro said.

20lbs + is not out of the question although highly unusual!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PierBridge

Quote:

They can get monster like Dtro said.

20lbs + is not out of the question although highly unusual!


What he said.... grin.gif

RIVERPICS327-1.jpg

Big Flatheads aren't the only things that like Cut sucker. shocked.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hanson

Oh ****, there it is!

What a beast of a roughie!! grin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunderson21

and I thought I had caught some biggens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luck e 1

Thanks for humbling me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shack

This one was caught by Pike11. He does not know how to load pictures yet, so I thought I would past it up over here. Hopefully he see's it and can chime in on specs. I think it was caught on Pool 2. Nice fish!

DavesSheephead.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pike11

The sheephead was 15lbs on the button,didnt measure it...It bit like a freight train trolling a crankbait by old bridge in newport....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
erickol

This one on shad last night.

091207_192547.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UncleKes

The correct name for what we locals call Sheephead is "Freshwater Drum". They are the of the same family as what the folks down along the Gulf of Mexico and along the Southern Atlantic Seaboard call "RedFish".

Sheephead are edible and are quite good as a matter of fact. They are an oily fish and you need some way to get the oil out of the fish before you eat it otherwise it tends to taint the fish like carp. Best way I have used is to gut the fish and scale it. Then make two or three cuts along the entire length of the fish. Place the fish over a drip pan and bake it at low heat for 45 minutes or so until the oil runs out of the fish and is collected in the drip pan.

ANother way is to use a grill with a drip pan under the fish. After the oil has been removed from the fish you can cook it anyway you like. (Fry, Broil, Bake, Soup, etc.) Sheephead taste a bit like Cod or Eelpout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott K

Quote:

The correct name for what we locals call Sheephead is "Freshwater Drum". They are the of the same family as what the folks down along the Gulf of Mexico and along the Southern Atlantic Seaboard call "RedFish".

Sheephead are edible and are quite good as a matter of fact. They are an oily fish and you need some way to get the oil out of the fish before you eat it otherwise it tends to taint the fish like carp. Best way I have used is to gut the fish and scale it. Then make two or three cuts along the entire length of the fish. Place the fish over a drip pan and bake it at low heat for 45 minutes or so until the oil runs out of the fish and is collected in the drip pan.

ANother way is to use a grill with a drip pan under the fish. After the oil has been removed from the fish you can cook it anyway you like. (Fry, Broil, Bake, Soup, etc.) Sheephead taste a bit like Cod or Eelpout.


Its easier to throw them back and catch a good fish to eat! grin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lowblazah

Quote:

Its easier to throw them back and catch a good fish to eat!
grin.gif


Amen to that...no thanks on the sheephead dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  



  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • woody1975
      Price reduced to $250.00   DL
    • woody1975
    • delcecchi
      Now that sounds like a plan.   
    • kelly-p
      Sure. The good thing is if you have too many cocktails and fall off the dock you will not have to worry about drowning.  People are going to have a long walk to go swimming out of the Waskish beach. Hard to believe that 3 years ago the dock floated up off the support poles so we had to put in a few longer ones. The dock was right up to the predator guard below the wood duck houses. 
    • CTfish
      Hey would someone that lives close by the Hatchery let me know when they are stripping eggs this year? Shouldn't be too far off. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Here are a few photos taken off of my dock which is straight across the Pike River from the Hatchery. Only a day or two more before it opens up here on the river! The second picture is looking toward the dam.
    • halad
      Hey Kelly can I fish of your dock opener
    • jkrash
      Your Right! after clicking on the picture a couple times and zooming in you can see the big white head of the male hooded mergaser.
    • kelly-p
      According to the Army Corp of Engineers weather station here in Waskish we have had a grand total of  1.29 inches of precipitation so far in 2018.  When we were burning the grass of there was still about 30% snow cover. The flames were hitting 10 feet high.
    • Wanderer
      Nice to see there might actually be some ice melting up that way! jkrash, those are hooded mergansers though.   I might’ve called out my first woodie sighting this year as one of those too.  But nah!  I know what I saw had to be woodie! Haha! Seriously though, I’ve seen more, and more variety of ducks this spring than ever  in my life.  The late lake ice outs have made the river a diver Mecca.  I think I saw a few with Ely or bust signs on em too!  The bulk of woodies have been in the Little Falls area for about a week, some for a couple.  The hoodeds have been here for at least a month. They’re all coming though!