• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lost my fishing partner

Dropped my son off at Michigan Tec in Houghton yesterday, for the year. We spent many a days on the ice and water looking for eyes and slabs. Even did a couple of overnight trips to URL and LOW. We had a lot of good times together. Now I have to find a new partner, hoping my daughter will get the bug to go out again. If not, have to make a few trips myself.

O

You still can have the good times just maybe not as often. He probably will miss it as much as you and lets hope the daughter tags along for ole Dads sake. As we all know they do grow up so we have to cherish those precious moments. It will be OK Dad. Been there and done that. wink.gif

I know how you feel. I've got 3 sons, and the middle one was with me constantly. The oldest and youngest enjoy it somewhat, but have other interests, and I wasn't gonna force the outdoors on them. But Luke was my constant fishing and hunting partner for years till he went to college. Now, it seems like we get to go out once or twice a season instead of every weekend, but we still treasure the memories and look forward to future trips.

I hear you except for me it was my dad that left the fold in pursuit of other interests but now that he has retired I get him up the North shore, out on Lake michigan, on the St. Croix and even up to Mille Lacs a time or two. I told him one day that I missed spending time with him like when he took me to Canada when I was younger. He is more then willing to head out with me now. Just remember to keep the communication channels open, find out when his breaks are from school and maybe try to set some outings up or even a long weekend in his neck of the woods plying new water together. I know that if he is like the rest of us a trip planned into the future brings on the anticipation which in turn just makes the trip all the better. Heck, with a Mich Tech education he may start taking you fishing once he is done! Good luck!

Tunrevir~

I feel for ya man. My son moved about 5 hours south, found a new fishing partner then he got remarried, got my daughter interested in fishing, but now she has a male friend. Just keep plugging along and things will sooner or later things will pan out.

My son has himself in a postiion at work where he is the only one out of six in his department that they trust to do the more complicated tasks. It is good for the paycheck, but he can never get any time off. I wanted to take him to Canada with me this year and he said to schedule the trip for next fall so he can get it on his vacation schedule to be sure of getting it off. This is ok with me and he should have vacation to use for ice fishing this year.

Opsirc- I have the oposite situation, i am heading to college and could always use a fishing partner. I'm even in your neck of the woods. drop me a line sometime this winter if you need a partner.

Be glad your dropping him off at college (an outdoorsmans college) and not at jail or film school or something. Now he will finish college, get a good job, and pay dear ole dad's way on fishing trips a couple times. Doesn't sound like too bad a future to me.

opsirc - I feel ya bro.. My son Tyler left for Parris Island, SC 7 Aug 07. The wife and I will be there for his graduation from Marine Corp boot camp 9 Nov., but I'll be making my Browns bus trip and walleye runs alone this fall frown.gif.

Tim, tell your son thanks and that we are darn proud of him! I am retired Air Force myself. It was two years ago today that I lost my hunting partner. Dam I miss ya dad! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Will do Jim - I see your retired USAF, I did 9 years and 6 mos. 732XX Personnel Spec. and took the VSI/SSB 25K in 1992. Been a govt contractor since then...

Duckslayer, Tim; I left the Air Force in 1999 after 25 years, was a great way of life and had a lot of fun. Now I shuttle new recruits back and forth to the processing center in Minneapolis.

Sam