• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shore fishing around Grand Marais

I am camping at Grand Marais this weekend, and was wondering if there is any fish to be caught from shore around there yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

iceman1977

Try casting out from the breakwall, or try casting out into the lake near the river mouths. This is the time of the year when the pink salmon start to congregate. Try small spoons like weasels or KO wobbelers.

Cascade and Brule rivers get good numbers of salmon runs in the fall, so the mouths of those rivers would be the best, but the kadunce river is a nice little spot to cover alot of ground also...I've caught mostly lakers there, but the occasional coho or chinook. I've always done best with blue/silver spoons, but it always pays to experiment.

Thanks alot for the info. What size spoons should I use. And do you have to use single hooks. I read the rule book but i dont understand is it single in the river, and treble in the lake or vice versa. I found some KO wobblers at a local bait shop they were in 3/4 and 1/2 oz. Should that work?

Thanks

Iceman1977

Single hooks in the rivers, and I believe within 100 ft (maybe yards) from river mouths...but I think it only applies to shore fisherman...I am not 100% sure on this, so if anyone knows for sure please chime in. I prefer 3/4 oz krocodile spoons, cast masters are really good for fish near the surface.

My understanding has always been no trebles in the river, but that you could use them in the lake even in the 1st 100 yds. Seen plenty of people(myself included)pitching spoons and spinners right out in front of the French river and as you can guess the DNR visits pretty regularly. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for fishing trebles there.

Thanks for the info. I am getting excited to go now! Hopefully I can reel a few in.

Thanks

Iceman1977

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

100 yard rule is for 2 lines