• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have seen pic. of the fish and talked to the man who caught it. He was all by himself, took a hour to land it in a net that was too small on 6 # line. Its 54" long, 24" girth and weigh 38.5#. He caught it on a jig and leach. He tried to grab it around the tail, but his hand not big enought to hold on. I will post pic. as they come to me. Unless the fish that I have been seeing swam over half the lake away, there are more here than a person thinks. grin.gif How far do muskie's roam in a lake????

Is there a fishable population in Tetonka? I sure have heard alot about it in the last year.

When did he catch the Muskie? The one cought 1 or 2 years ago was also taken with a jig and leach.

I don't know about a fishable population but I've seen a handful out there over the years. But, any way you slice it, 52" is a beautiful fish. Can't wait to see the photos.

Are they not the fish of 10,000 cast, it may take that many to catch another. grin.gif

The states hatchery for Muskies is on Tetonka. When they drain the ponds I'm sure some get into the lake. I do see them roll on the surface 3 or 4 times a year. The one thing I think is odd is I never hear of 20-30" Muskies in Tetonka. confused.gif I think I had one on around 34" in June but I didn't land it so, I can't be sure.

During the last bass contest out there, one of the competitors said that while pre-fishing he hooked a 44'er out there (and is mounting it). I have seen some nice pics from a few years ago. (Early November)

I believe there was a big Tetonka muskie in the Mankato Free Press last year (or maybe the year prior).

Correct - they came from the hatchery through water discharge when they drain a pond. I suppose they can never catch 100% of the yearlings out of the ponds.

The DNR picked up a dead muskie on the north side of the lake that was Roughly 53". That was early last week. From the way it looked it was dead for sometime. Fran Borst at B&B weighed and took pics of one last fall that was a monster. Can't remember how big but was something like 55". Caught my first ever yesterday on Waconia only about 7 or 8 lbs but none the less fun.

I wish they'd stop killing those muskies mad.gif

I think they could put them in all these upper cannon river lakes there is more than enough rough fish to support a healthy population.

That is exactly what I thought, but well within the laws. I would have saved my money on that one.

Congrats on Waconia, sheepheaddude. Not for the ski, but for the bass cash. You got us by 10 ounces... payback to come on your home lake in 3 weeks...

mudtracker, I think the mucksie favor deeper lakes. Most lakes on this part of the cannon are shallow.

I heard rumors a couple years ago that the DNR was considering stocking them in Madison. This seems like a good fit due to the shad and depth, but local walleye guys might complain that it will interfere with the eye population. I don't think this is necessarily a valid argument. (but I'm not a fisheries biologist)

I know we will have more confidence on tetonka. Anything but last on waconia was gonna be a plus for us. Good thing for the wind!!!!

From what I under stand, Bass are the big deciding factor on Walleye population. They said; stocking Walleyes in a lake with a healthy Bass population will only improve the Bass population. Theres just no winning.

Just think how great the fishing would be if all fisherman throw back fish like a Bass fisherman.

They certainly haven't hurt Winnie,Leech,Cass and Mill Lacs over the years. Stocking a reasonable amount should make for some fun fishing in about 10 years.

tweed

It wouldn't hurt the lake at all, but if the muskies did take hold out there and turn out a fishable population, you will see the pressure on Madison rise tenfold.

Look at French. That poor lake gets hammered every day of the summer. Take into account the pressure Madison already recieves from walleye/bass/panfisherman and now add the muskie guys and the lake becomes a zoo in no time.

That is another huge reason you will always run into opposition to stocking muskies into a lake. Most knowledgable guys no that stocking muskies doesn't hurt the walleye population.

I find that odd. I do not fish French but maybe once every two years. The most traffic I've see on that lake is aircraft with floats doing touch and goes. Not somthing you see on a lake with alot of boat traffic.

I saw the pic of the Ski from the Waterville paper. The fish was almost as tall as Mr Brockman, 54" 38lbs.

If you guys and gals are intrested in stocking Muskies for southern Mn lakes come to the Muskie Inc Meetings at the Eagles 7pm in Owatonna every 2nd Wednesday of the month.Sure would be nice to have more lakes besides French

If someone can e-mail me a photo of the fish along with the pertinent information, I'll get it up here. Thanks.