• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

pike question

My buddy and I will be heading to kab this weekend for some c/r pike fishing, if anyone could give me a suggestion on location or depth, it would be much appriciated. Thanks - Prodigy

The Pike fishing ( I was out today) is really slow compared to last year at this time. I had a 15Lb fish to the boat today (operator error netting it for me) and lost it. Almost NO follow ups and few hits. I had nothing on a buzzbait whereas last year they were exploding after them. Spinnerbait worked the best, pulled a few smallies out too.

Maybe i'll wait to go back up when the water is in full turnover. Did fantastic last year on laborday wknd.when the water looked like peasoup.

Sledneck you might just have had a slow day. Lots of pike were caught last week. Quite a few in the 8-10lb range nothing gigantic, but nice fish. Along with your 2-4 lbs. Mepps, spinnerbaits, larger x rap. Good luck!!

I threw the larger jointed x-rap alot yesterday and was throwing the regular husky jerk sized x-rap aswell. Never threw any mepps at them, but Ive never really come across pike that would hit mepps like crazy and leave spinnerbaits alone. I wonder if this cooler weather is keeping them from hitting topwater??? Saturday was REALLY calm on the lake...that might have had something to do with it being slower. Quite humbling and disappointing.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG. The big Pike were on fire on saturday! We fished the lake from like noonish till we got to wet and our hands were to cold to cast. If not for the weather I cant even imagine how well we would have done. Anyway. The pike were bumpin spinnerbaits, but on the calm sides they were exploding on top water. lots of big fish misses. I took a friend from Maine up fishing on Kab for his first time ever and this is his first pike of his life. The fish hit real close to the boat and wow, what a fish for his first pike ever. Kab is unbeatable this time of year for monster pike. When its on, its on.

m6.jpg

Very nice fish for a first pike! Tell him congrats. Looking forward to our trip out in oct, should be plenty of fish that size and bigger. Hopefully the weather cooperates, you know how late october can be!

SledNeck,

You look like you know what you're doing when it comes to pike. Anytime you need a fishing partner let me know. I know Nam very well, Kab a little bit, I have a boat and will travel! grin.gif

I'm going to try to get up there the last week of Sept. or first week of Oct. Just me and my yellow lab fishin' buddy at this point. Probably camp on an island somewhere.

Im going one day this weekend and have an open seat. Ive only fished Kab for the first time last year. Im going to be deadly when I get a few years on Kab under my belt!!! Namakan sounds very interesting.

I can't make it up this weekend. I wish I could but I have to be here Saturday night. Make sure you post how you did. I will be up sometime in the next few weeks for sure. I always camp, so I better hurry. It’s already getting pretty cold up there at night.

Do you think the fishing is better for the big girls as the weather gets colder? Do you change the depths you fish or the presentation later in the year?

I will post the dates I'm going up as soon as I know. You'll have to let me know if you’re interested in joining me for a day.

I dont know the lake that well. But I do know they are slamming topwater as of last weekend, even in the rain. Weather doesnt seem to matter...unless the waves are too big for them to see the topwater lures. We'll see whats going on this weekend, now that we've had a bit of cold..Hoping it only makes them bite better.

Ive havent done well for big Pike on Kab early this year, seems end of august and on is the best time. I wont fish it early next year, seems like a waste of time.

I honestly haven't done well on pike the last couple years. I have caught a bunch of them but they're all small. My brother pulled a 21 pounder out of Nam three years ago in June. Since then I don't think we've got a fish over 6 pounds. confused.gif

I went into a bay this year with a friend in June and pulled 40 fish out on firetiger husky jerks within an hour. It was a blast but they all looked like little 20"-22" clones of each other. 25 years ago, a guy could go out and get 2 or 3 fish over 10 pounds in a day, and usually one of them would be pushing 15-20 pounds. I think those days are over due to all the spearing the last 20 years.

I'm still going to try though! What kind of top water baits are you throwing? I usually use my smaller Musky lures.

Wow. Ive pulled probably 20 fish out 10 lbs or bigger fishing since last august. My biggest so far being 40". But I probably miss more big fish than I catch. Last time I was out fishing (4 or so hours) we probably seen 6 fish that were over 15 lbs either be caught or hit at our lures.

I'm going up Sept. 23rd for 4-6 days. Your not giving me much hope here! I will try top water lures near the inlets and outlets. If that doesn't work maybe deep water trolling the sharp breaks. Any other suggestions?

I fish Walleyes so I can't help you with the Nothern/Bass info. I know that there are some Northerns around the rocks in Slatinski Bay and you might try going back in Long Slough in Lost Bay. Maybe Hacksaw Pass? How about the NW side of Cutover?

Maybe it was a fluke day, but the water temp was 10 degrees lower than the week before when they were exploding on top water. I threw tons of different baits and didnt get anything. Kab is 80 miles from my house so I dont want to waste time driving all that way just to be bored. If its any consolation, the fish werent biting on pelican lake either.