• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

03 silverado steering ?

fish2live

Question

i am feeling some feed back through the steering wheel. my buddy thought by tightening the steering box may help. i checked all the steering components for play and were all tight. so i checked to see how much play there was until it started to turn the wheels while truck was off i had about half a turn of the steering shaft that connects to the steer box so i tightened it till i had a quarter turn. i ran into someone else that told me by doing this on my own if i get the box to tight it will burn the steer box out in no time.

so here is my question is this something i should not worry about or should i bring it in to a shop and have them adjust the steer box for me? i have already tightened it up, i am wondering does it have to be exact or is there other adjustments that need to be made also?

11 answers to this question

Are you feeling a clunking or rattle while driving at slow speeds? This is the legendary intermediate steering shaft problem that has been in existance since 1999 when the new style Silverados came out. I've had four trucks since then, both 1/2 and 3/4 ton, and they've all done it. At one time there was a so-called fix where they repacked the grease in the shaft and that did cure the problem....for a while and then it came back again. I think they have another "fix" now but not sure if that was the cure-all or just another temporary band-aid.

Not sure about the adjustments you made, but if you're experiencing the symptoms I mentioned you aren not alone. Try to take it in to the dealer and ask about the intermediate steering shaft TSB. I don't know one person who hasn't had this problem, and if they say they don't they will eventually as they ALL do it....that's why there is a TSB on it. wink.gif

that is the problem i am haveing. i will bring it in and see what the dealer says. this is just another anoying problem like the clunk in the slip yolk? no real harm just a little chatter now and then?

Yep, just like the drive-shaft. Had that in my '99 1/2 ton too. tongue.gif

Nothing to be concerned about, just something that is annoying like you said.

My intermediate shaft started clunking in May. I brought it in over a month ago and they replaced the shaft with a new and improved shaft. wink.gif This is the "latest fix". The cost with labor was about 175 bucks, give or take a few. Trucks been like new since. My neihbor had this happen to his truck twice. They just repacked with grease on his. Good luck, Junkky.........

Bring it into the dealer, there is a service bulletin on it. I had the same problem with my 2004 GMC. I can not remember what they needed to do to it, but it took care of the problem. I had it done under warranty, so not sure they will cover it if your outside your warranty, but its a wide spread problem and I would think they would fix it for you.

I'm pretty certain my 05 came with an intermediate steering shaft problem off the lot. Loose, and clunky steering from the get go. I brought it back to Stillwater Chevrolet shortly after purchasing it. They couldn't find any issue is all I got back from them.

Seriously, I told my wife to bring it in this morning because she has been saying it is more clunky lately, and guess what, they want us to pay $200. 05 with less than 45K - out of warranty?? Dillholes.

LB

Blueroof-

Call Chevy and complain- It does work. Its a known problem, they should at least split the cost with you. They did that for me when I had my 98 and the air went out in 2001. Late 90's Chevy's were know to have bad air conditioning systems and they finally covered 1/2 the bill. It won't hurt to try it. But your right, they should fix it for free.

Tell your dealer you want a part # 19153614. New updated intermediate steering shaft.

Or go shopping on ebay - bought mine for $40, for my 03 Suburban. 40 minute job, and I'm no mechanical genius.

If you run into dead ends, have dealer Road Force Balance tires. You may have a tire concern.

I read no mention of a clunk in your first post. If every thing is tight, I would at least rotate tires to cross that off your list or did this start after a rotate?

Tires can cause a lot of goofy stuff. This is the cheapest starting point with less effort. After rotate and feeling in steering wheel goes away, go get tires road forced balanced. This will correct the concern.

By me saying rotate, rotate tires front to back and back to front. Try this and see if it does any good for your concern.

I can not tell you how many people I helped out over the years that it just ended up being "Tires". With no mention of a clunk and a sensation feeling in steering wheel, this would lead me to believe tires.

Good luck!!!!