• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The dog and the WIFE!

trailratedtj

I was wondering if any of you guys have had problems training your dog due to your wife or girlfriend interfering or ruining what you have done.

Reason being is im having bad problems...im not saying im a good trainer but i know somewhat of what i want done and how to somewhat do it. I have my commands and she has her commands...well her long list of sentences that you could call commands. Geez..im starting to pull my hair out. He's only six months old i do/ did have a good stable form of obedience. Now all he does is look for a treat. Ive tried beating it in her head but nothing works. I keep screaming "you've got to be consistent" but it never happens. The bad thing that doesnt help is im out of town sometimes and when i come back i have to back track in my training and it gettig now to where im falling behind, and we havent even got out of basics. Ive even used other dogs ive owned that never met her and how well they behaved and performed and how the new dog compares and how bad she effect my new dog..please give me some sort of words of wisdow or a padlock so can lock her in the shed.

Daniel

I'll go get a padlock for ya. That'll help with the training and less feedback on planning an upcoming hunting trip!

Before you lock your wife in a shed over a 6 month old dog, I would step back and realize that it's still a puppy. I am not a dog trainer but my 10 month old lab was consistent, but not perfect because of my wife's affection and different commands.

I have noticed that when he grew up he understands my commands much better then he did when he was 6 months old. I guess I would say to not worry that much yet, but still work with him and try to get your wife to adjust. I definitely feel you pain when your wife wants to baby the puppy and you want to train him/her. Good Luck!

Nate

I would just be patient, as he gets older he will listen more and more to you. I have a 7 month old brit that listens pretty good to me, but just about ignores my wife. Granted the wife likes the dog but doesn't spend anywhere near the time with him that I do. My 5 year old, who spends lots of time with the dog, can usually make him obey better than the wife. I wouldn't stress yourself out over it to much, all should work out with time. grin.gif

Your lucky you got a wife that tolerates your interests. Ive been looking for one like that forever. Seem to gravitate towards the city type for some reason. Can you get her to hunt and fish? You got it made then!

Who Feeds the dog? Has been my experience that who ever feeds the food controls the dog best in an everyday situation. MY dogs obey me and are my buddies but when the wife drives up the drive they go bonkers for her. Me they might stroll over for there pat on the head but for her they are like puppies.. The wife feeds the dogs.. grin.gif

I really don't mean this in a snide way, but first you have to train your WIFE! She must be made to understand that YOU train the #$$%$# dog and NOBODY else does. When the dog is a little older it will be a bit easier on both of you (and the poor dog) but for now there can only be ONE master of this animal.

I'm sure you have a lovely and delightful wife, but she is NOT doing you any favors with the dog.

Call me cruel. Call me a curmudgeon. Call me ornery. But call me RIGHT!!! grin.gif

shes is a city type. the type that says there not the city type and that there outdoorsy(bullsh!t). Shes does fish but since shes "not the city type" i still bait the hook and dehook the fish. She likes to want to shoot a gun but i cant get it in her head about how much respect a gun needs to be shown.

Quote:

Your lucky you got a wife that tolerates your interests. Ive been looking for one like that forever. Seem to gravitate towards the city type for some reason. Can you get her to hunt and fish? You got it made then!

We both do. Just about 50/50,except she feeds him almost twice as much, which is yet another reason why he's a little over weight.

take for instance...when him and I go for a walk we can travel miles, with her shes lucky if she doesnt have to drag him back after going around the block.

The thing is that im trying to speed train him for duck season...not to hunt but to watch. The wife like i said just keeps knocking me back in the progression. Oh and it doesnt help when your already dealing with a stubborn choco lab. Anyways i still thinking if the padlock is gonna do the job or if im gonna have to build a holding cell or kennel run just for her.

Quote:

Who Feeds the dog? Has been my experience that who ever feeds the food controls the dog best in an everyday situation. MY dogs obey me and are my buddies but when the wife drives up the drive they go bonkers for her. Me they might stroll over for there pat on the head but for her they are like puppies.. The wife feeds the dogs..
grin.gif

Your totally right but you cn only lay down the law so much. She doesnt train him at all but she creates bad habits. He doesnt respect her hardly at all becuase she spoils him and doesnt fully follow trhough with commands(if what shes trying to tell him to do is even a command at all), usually she gives up after one or two tries. It would also help to know that he knows exactly what to do, he understand all commands he knows and excutes them with perfection with me but also he knows he can get away with death when he's around her, all shes does is complain to me about how he acts when im not around.

like i said....logging chain and padlock? or fully sealed inground vault? which one...?

Quote:

I really don't mean this in a snide way, but first you have to train your WIFE! She must be made to understand that YOU train the #$$%$# dog and NOBODY else does. When the dog is a little older it will be a bit easier on both of you (and the poor dog) but for now there can only be ONE master of this animal.

I'm sure you have a lovely and delightful wife, but she is NOT doing you any favors with the dog.

Call me cruel. Call me a curmudgeon. Call me ornery. But call me RIGHT!!!
grin.gif

I had the exact same situation not too long ago. At one point I thought I was going to have to give up my dog because of my travel schedule. My wife did not know how to give him a single command properly and then she would look at me wondering why he was trained so poorly. She could not understand that dogs do not have a grasp of the complete English language and that STOP IT and NO are not the same to him. It took some time and they get along very well now. They both required training, the dog on obeying the commands and the wife knowing what commands to use. My wife also struggled with the physical nature that is needed with some dogs. She would tell me about how the dog was blocking her way even after she told him to MOVE (not a command). Did she make him move with a knee or by walking into him? Of course not. She has learned to simply walk into him a few times and he will learn to get out the way. It got better with time and a little education for both.

Gills,

thats my exact situation. I think im just pissed becuase its gone to the point to where im pulling my hair out(whats left of it). He'll get it straight one day.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Daniel

Don't worry.........The dog is young, let it be a PUPPY....(thats all it is) real training will come with time and the dog will learn. (I got really upset when my wife taught him to shake paw, but it really never hurt anything) If your worried about training send him for a month or two with a professional trainer when he is old enough. (some trainers want the dogs to be over a year old before they will train them)

Heres a pic of my wife and the dog she trained to shake paw and it all worked out great

AmandaandBuddy.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Explain to your wife that unless she gets with the program the dog will walk all over her. Worse yet she'll belong to the dog and with you gone 50/50 you'll be intruding on his property. She needs to know that EVERY TIME she gives a command the dog MUST do it. Use one word commands and say them with authority. Sit, Stay, Come, Down, Heal.

Personally, if the dog is mine I feed, water, and train it.

You'll be his Master and the dog will be happily takes its place below the wife and children and obey them.

First off don't beat the wife even though you may feel like it. The dog is only 6 months old. And though you think you should have a perfect dog by now. Even the best of trainers have to wait for the dog to mature to gain its full potential. First thing I would recomend is get help from a reputable trainer. Belive it or not it will be well worth it. Second don't worry so much about it. Let her be the loving mother and you can be the master. My wife loves our 2 dogs as much as I. Spends as much time as I with them. But when it comes to training and hunting. I am the master. Though they do listen to her. They know I mean business. Training is a long process. Take it one day at a time, establish a few rules with the Gal so she understands what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck and remember you still have a puppy!

Take yourself, the wife, and the dog to some sort of dog training class. No matter what you do, your right the key is being consistent. Dog training classes are more about training the owners then the dogs. The best thing about the classes for the dogs is it gives them a chance to socialize in a controlled environment. As a child we had a couple dogs and my parents took all of us to the classes. We all learned how to train the dog using the same commands. And both of those dogs turned out to be great well behaved pets. It would help having a professional tell her what to do rather then you nagging her.