• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

reports

First Ice-Mike

Going to be up there tomorrow. Any reports?? By the looks of this forum things have been awful quite on Upper Red.

FI

I was up earlyier this week, we did fair in the Tamarack river. Trolling spinner rigs worked much better than jigging minnows. Crawlers and minnows worked and leeches did not. Seemed like the fish wanted bigger minnows. We went a good ways up the river to find fish, the second bridge area was best. I don't think people were doing very well out in the lake for eyes'. Supposevly there is a good pike bite, but not for us.

Good luck!

How deep is the river? Is it easy to navigate it or is there a lot of rocks and stuff to watch out for?

I fished URL yesterday on open water for the first time. Granted, any lake can be tough for the first time, but yesterday was ridiculous. It was windy, but managable. We caught about 15 sheepshead and one 13 inch walleye. We fished any structure on my GPS in 6 to 13 feet of water with rigs or jigs. In the morning, we were the only boat on the lake. I don't think I saw more than 7 or 8 boats all day. The sheepies did keep us busy though. What did we do wrong (besides not go up the river)?

We had a tough time on the big lake also. I couldn't believe how dead it was up there. Friday evening there were only 3 boats on the lake. I'll never go up there in August again - only earlier in the year. We pulled plugs in the River and caught some eyes in the slot - we talked to some of the boats we passed by and everyone had the same story - notta.

FI

Don't worry I don't think it was you. I fished URL on saturday and in 7 hours I managed 2 pike and one 17.5" waldo. Towards the end I was praying for sheepshead. Never thought I'd say that blush.gif. I also tried everything from lindy's, to spinners, cranks, jigs, minnows, crawlers, shallow, deep, and different structure. At least the weather was beautiful.

From the mouth to the camp ground there is nothing to worry about as far as rocks go, Yeah we were up there a couple of weeks ago. We anchored by the campground and caught 2 walleyes with in 5 minutes. Both 19"ers. We fished the lake for about 3 hours after that and we caught one 16"er and 4 or 5 sheepheads. I'm gonna have to make it a point to go in the spring next year. Both of my summer trips up there this year kinda sucked, fishing wise.

My dad and I fished on the 25th from about 10:30 to 3:00 and caught 4 walleyes and 3 sheepshead. The first walleye was caught up the river just past the campground and was 19.5" the other three came out on the lake at the first hump just to the north and west of the river. 3 in the first 5 minutes. I thought it was going to be great! One was 17.75", another 15", and a 14". Came home with the last two. no fish but the sheepshead for the last 4 hours. The DNR gal at the ramp told us that we were the only ones that she checked so far for the day that had that good of luck.

Very slow but what a wonderful day on the lake, nice and calm. The water was very murky though.

I WAS UP ON UPPER RED LAKE FOR OPEN WATER FISHING FOR THE FIST TIME AND THE RIVER WAS VERY GOOD FOR US FOR WALLEYES (WE ALL CAUGHT OR LIMIT) BUT OF COURSE NOT ONE OF THEM WERE UNDER 17". SO WE WENT OUT ON THE OPEN WATER AND LET ME TELL YOU IN A 4 DAY SPAN MY DAD AND I CAUGHT 5 PIKE OVER 40" KEPT ONE FOR THE WALL MAN WAS THAT FUN

heading up there next weekend hoping to spend some time getting some action for my 4yo and some monster pike for me and tips would be geat will be staying in Kelliher with family.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.