• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report from the North end of the Red River

My dad, bro, and a couple buddies are fishing out of Stu's place on the Northern most section of the Red River right now. Reports from the last two days are that the fishing is "very good". My bro says the average fish is the biggest he's seen up there for this time of year. That's really saying something given that we've had several trips with the average fish being over 20 lbs. They didn't weigh all the fish, but he figured the average was between 22 and 23 lbs. He also said they've got a crap load of fish between 25 and 30 lbs. this trip- yeeeehhaa! They'll be back tonight sometime and I'll be sure to get some pics posted when I get them.

I wish I could have gone with, but we've got a baby due in 1 1/2 week, so I'm pretty land locked these days.

Hopefully the bite will be going yet when I get up there in 2 weeks! Will be my first time trying for cats up at the Mecca! grin.gif Maybe I'll get a bonuse Greenie as well? shocked.gif

Loren, your timing should be really good. I've heard rumors of some greenbacks trickling in, so maybe you'll stumble into one or two. You should also find some big ol' kitties too! About the only thing that could screw ya is weather. So cross your fingers and hold your breath. Good luck.

Here are the pics I promised.

First, here's a pic of some random fisherman on shore. Note his fishing rod- he caught that a baby on a fly! Very cool!

e7febee9.jpg

Here's my dad with a nice one.

e7febf53.jpg

Here's a buddy of ours, Merwin, with one that he wrestled in.

e7febe9e.jpg

Finally, here's my brother with a very large piggy.

e7febe62.jpg

The crew stayed at Cats on the Red. As usual, Stu took really good care of them.

Did they get most of their fish up by the lock? I am heading up today,. Loren when are you going north? I cant wait. Nooner

Nooner I will be up North the first week on Sept, if your in the area we should hit dsome Kittys.

I may run up as early as Sunday if I am off.

The word is the first mile has been hot. Kermits and cuts are on the menue for sumo's.

Yep, what Ed said. Most of their fish came from the lock area. They went a few miles downstream, but it wasn't quite as good as by the lock.

Quote:

Loren... About the only thing that could screw ya is weather. So cross your fingers and hold your breath. Good luck.

Scoot, you just had to bring that up didn't you crazy.gif It seems on longer trips I tend to carry weather, that isn't like by others, with me. The river hasn't been as bad as lakes though, so there is hope!

Dom,Can't wait to hear a report and see some pics from your trip! Oh, I'll be up the 7th-9th.

Ed, maybe we'll see you up there if you're still up there by the end of the week.

Good luck to all as I am pumped to make my trip up there for some kitties! Those fish, especially the last one look nice and plump! grin.gif

give me a call ed, i think i have the entire week off so i could possibly run up for another trip north of the border. Nooner

All right boys just got back from the mighty red of the north. Once again the magical powers of this river continues to mystify me. The river seems to get better each time i head up there. The sumos were huge huge huge this year. In basically one day of fishing we landed 22 cats. 6 of them were over 25 pounds. we had two under 20 pounds. It was truly magical. Each one of us had a fish over 27 pounds. The biggest of the weekend was hauled in by nooner himself. I have a 30 pound boga grip, which is tested to be accurate every year and this baby bottomed it out. I will try to attach the picture of it. Kermies ruled the bait selection. a few fish were caught on fresh suckers also. Our biggest fish came north wards of the (Contact Us Please). Stu i would like to thank you again for the amazing time you once again supplied this minnesota boy with. Cant wait to get up there and see you in october again. Her kitty kitty. Nooner

ok i have no idea how to attach pictures. cant they make this easier on us stupid fisherman? Can anyone help me? Nooner

Quote:

ok i have no idea how to attach pictures. cant they make this easier on us stupid fisherman? Can anyone help me? Nooner

Can you e-mail them to me? My address is in my signature.

I'll get them up.

Here's Nooner's 38" length, 30" girth, bottomed the 30lb Boga Grip out Red River of the North Channel Cat!

That's a piggie!!

noonersrr30lbcu1.jpg

Great pic! Awesome fish!!!

Thanks for posting them, Chris... I woulda got it done, but hadn't seen the post yet. You're too fast for me!

First of all I want to thank you Nooner for stopping by and visiting the Lower Red, I'm glad you enjoyed some success. I also want to thank both Scoot and Chris for your efforts in promoting this amazing fishery. I am confident that in time many will also thank you for your efforts!

Yup...that's about all I can take..Got me some Kirmits and I'm on my way to feed them to Stu's pets.

I look forwerd to a sore everything by the end of this week, a good Kitty Whoop'n would do me some good.

See ya soon Stu and crew.

Nice fish Noonr.....Got you some real Kitty Lov'n there Eh. wink.gif

We are planning our first trip ever to the Red. Where can i purchase bait and what kind should i buy?

Thanks

We are going to Lockport - we are hoping to stay for 2 days. I would assume that we would fish near the dam or somewhere close by that area.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Lyle

I can give you tons of tips or I can give you one good tip- stay at Stu's and talk with him. Stu (at Cats on the Red) will set you straight and be sure you're armed with the correct info and bait.

That said, here's what I'd suggest- go up there with heavy duty rigs- strong rods with 50+ lb line. Two types of rigs work best for us: slip rigs (lindy type rig) with no roll sinkers or slip bobbers. Slip bobbers are a little tougher, so you may want to start with slip rigs first. As for bait- frogs and cutbait should be the ticket. Frogs- bring across the border frozen or catch them up there. Cutbait- bring worms and catch goldeyes and/or beg Stu for some Tulibee- they work great in Sep. Fish immediately below the dam, or in the first few miles of the dam- you should find fish. Careful up by the dam- there's shallow water and rocks.

Good luck!

Quote:

I may need to think bigger than our walleye rigs when it comes to rods and tackle.

I would think muskie tackle or heavier. grin.gif

Yep, like hanson said. I know a couple guys who went up there a few years ago with thier walleye rigs (despite my dad's warnings). After they snapped their third rod they went shopping for heavier gear.

• 2 weeks later...

hey thanks Fisky. Yes you definetly need bigger gear than walleye stuff. Not only are the fish brutes they know how to use that current and they definetly dont like to see a boat when they surface. Cant wait to run north and chase some greenbacks soon. Nooner