• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2007 Deer & Bear Pictures

harvey lee

What a beautiful deer and a great story - Not to mention a first bow-kill. And with all of the deer sightings, you should be able to repeat that again.

Congratulations!!!!

DL

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• snoozebutton

• sticknstring

• maros91

Congrats a a great deer hunt. cool.gif I felt like I was just as excited as you. All of this and its your first archery deer. It doesnt get any better than that.

Hey Joel, congrats on the deer, smile.gif I missed it until today. confused.gif

AWESOME story!! Congrats and good job on being so patient. What a great story to read so early in the season.

Great Job smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

mr

Yeah no kidding, nice deer, only problem is with a deer like that for your first, you now spoiled.

It's akin to someone's first musky being a 55"er. cool.gif

Loved the story too!

Great job!!!!! As I was reading your story I was picturing it in my mind. Awesome story and superb buck. Now it's my turn!!! I saw the one I want to shoot last night now just have to be smarter then him and hope he wants to present me a shot. I'm still on the hunt for my first buck with a bow. After last night though I need to figure out how to get the other deer in so I can get rid of the nerviousness. I was such a wreck in the stand. I was shacking so bad I could hear my heart beating and feel my knees knocking. Didn't have that problem on opener when I drew on a doe. Guess I experienced buck fever. Funny after hunting for more then 30 years and downing numerous bucks the excitment with a bow is total different.

Thanks to everyone on the congrats. I hope this buck doesn't spoil me for years to come grin.gif

Good luck to everyone else on the rest of the still very young season!!!

My adrenaline was pumping just reading your story. I must say you did a nice job describing the situation!!! Congratulations on a beautiful buck and a great first bowkill!!! Get back out and get another one!!! Can't wait for my first time out which will probably be Sunday!!! NICE WORK!!!!! wink.gif

Well I put #1 for the season down yesterday evening. Got into the stand about 5:30, saw the first deer about 6:00. A nubbin buck that was out in the combined corn browsing, he jumped the fence and walked about 20 yards from me. About 20 minutes later a doe walked the field edge browsing on the corn remains. Around 6:30 a 1-1/2 doe walked right under me heading for the corn, couldn't get a shot until she turned broadside at the fencline about 30 yards out. Drilled her a tad low but still caught both lungs and she only went about 60 yards. Best part aside from venison steaks is she expired right on the edge of the woods in the cut corn, no draggin required! Farmer even helped me load her in my truck.

First year using the Montecs and I have to say so far so good!

Nice job Stratos. I got out for the first time this morning, had a nice 8 pointer at ten yards. Probaby a two and half year old. I only saw it for about ten seconds. It came down off the bluff and then trotted right in front of me. I had a great shot before it jumped a panel fence, but my first instinct was not to shoot. It wasn't the big one I'm looking for. He will be a nice deer if he makes it another year or two. Although, he might look good in my freezer four weeks from now if nothing else turns up. Oh well, I feel I did the right thing in letting him go this time.

There was another deer that came down the bluff with him, he never hit the hill road, he stayed on the bluff and eventually wandered off. The 8 pointer was moving at a pretty good clip until it got to the fence. I'm wondering if he was being chased by another buck. I wish I would have gotten a look at the other deer. I could only see movement and then nothing. It happened really, really, fast. If it was another buck, it looked to me like the bachelor groups are starting to break up. Supposed to cool down this week, that should help.

Good work Scott! Now we'll both be able to be selective in the coming months. Call me next time and I'll help you clean it.

Crops are coming out very early down here, and I think it'll change the way the pre-rut is going to go. 3/4 of my old-man's soybeans are out, and corn is ready and waiting.

Joel

You gotta deal there! Yeah the boys are rippin through the corn down there, which is seemingly always better for me. Puts all the does in the woods for the pre-rut!!!! cool.gif

No pix, all I was worried about in the heat was getting ice on her, started butchering at 7:00 am Sunday.

I suppose I could post a pic of the fresh backstrap sittin in the fridge.... grin.gif

I suppose I could post a pic of the fresh backstrap sittin in the fridge....

Better yet could you post a picture of them frying in the pan with a few onion and then set up a scratch and sniff that will come to our screens. Technology is so great these days. LOL

Troutchaser, nice first bow buck, way to go. I have to say though, I shot a 150 class buck my second year of gun hunting and have only been able to come close to shooting a deer of that size a few times since. I almost wish I would have never shot him, I am so spoiled that seeing basket rack bucks since then is just another "passer by" these days. It's kind of funny how selfish and picky us deer hunters are after you put a big one down. You just want to top that big one and so you become uninterested in everything but the trophies.....which unfortunately are rare and hard to even get a glimpse of. I have a sickness and now you do to.....welcome to the world of trophyhuntingitis blush.gifsmile.gif

Thank you and funny you should bring this up. I also shot a 150-160 class buck the second season I hunted deer with a rifle, and I have not shot another one since. I think I have slid into the mentality that they will be bigger next year, and just haven't pulled the trigger. That was seven years ago, and when this one walked by it was "worthy" of harvesting. It will go nicely on the wall next to my rifle buck, and I guess getting one every decade or so it alright. I am not sure my wife would let me put many more than that up in the house anyway!!! grin.gif

I FINALLY got out for the first time on Wednesday!! Set up right on the edge of a thicket hoping to catch em heading to the corn. It was a beautiful night out and the wind was perfect. Had a buddy set up maybe 250-300yds from me and he had 5 deer around him. According to him, he was pulled back on one and was busted by one of the others and they all took off. We heard a storm moving it's way towards us and the next thing you know it was downpouring. I had my rain gear in the back of the truck of course and I held out for another 20-25 min. There was maybe 30 min of shooting left which is primetime of course but I was soaking wet and was thinking that if I did shoot one there would be no blood trail whatsoever so I decided to get down. Lowered my bow and gear to the ground and start my descend. Get to the ground, put my climber back together and got it all bungeed together and with all of the noise in the woods, I was able to get away with some noise, but as soon as I took two steps I saw two deer west of me maybe 60-70 yards. They moved off the other way and I think I exited the woods undetected. I knew I wouldn't melt in the rain and should have stayed in the tree for 30 more min and I may have had a shot. I also had my video camera with me and didn't want that to get wet. I will probably head back out this evening and set up closer to where they were coming from. Gotta love the experience and it was great to get some action that night!!! Looking forward to letting one fly very very soon. Maybe tonight. Good luck to all and safe hunting!!! cool.gif

Just got back from SD for mule deer. 1st day out got my 1st stalk under my belt on a doe. Success!

ChadSDMD2007.jpg

Last day (yesterday) I tried stalking up on 7 bedded bucks. Got to about 40 yards on them! But after drawing back my bow they bolted too fast and I missed them clean. Still a good stalk and an achievement for me!

Congrats on the kill. I had never been a very good stalker as it seems that I am always moving to fast. No matter how slow I go, I always find myself telling myself to sloooow down.

I didn’t go overly slow with the “getting there” part. It was very windy, so noise was not an issue. But wish I would have taken a few extra minutes to “visualize” the shot on the bucks. I think I might have been able to connect if I had thought about it a little longer.

I was amazed how close I could get out in that open country!

That is a true trophy. I shot a buck over 300# a few years ago but it was only a 10 point going 152 on the Pope & young charts. This buck beats that all to heck.

Nice job.