• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Info on Vizlas

bear204

My sister is looking into getting a vizla any info about these dogs would be great. The dog will mostly be a pet. Two kids in the house and they have plenty of fenced area for a dog to run. My brother inlaw might do some hunt training but thats a maybe.

Have her look into the Twin Cities Vizsla Club and contact the breed secretary for contacts to breeders. I personally have not owned a V. but I've seen a few and think they are very nice dogs. They seem like they have a softer temperament and are very family oriented, ie. they like to be with their people. They seem like they have a generally happy disposition too. They make a nice, comfortable hunting dog too. I think they just plain look cool. I like the sleek build and that they look like they can run 100 mph. Trainer/breeder Dale Meier up by St. Cloud would be a good person to talk to but I don't have contact info for him.

Dale Meier's phone is [Note from Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again, Thank You], he runs pine creek kennels but I don't think he has a litter comming up. The Twin cities Vizsla club has several rescue dogs right now, that might be a good option. Kathy rust of Kizmar vizslas recently had a litter. She is located in Eastern ND, and has some great show and family dogs.

I have some contact info for people in the area with pups and started dogs. I have had the breed for almost 20 years. I would give Mira Vizslas a call in WI, they have a web page. Just outside of Eau Claire. Post some more info when you have it and if I can help I will.

I'll second Pine Creek Kennels / Dale Meier. I got a V pup from him last March. His dogs have great temperment and solid pedigrees. If you stay in Minnesota, I don't think you'll find a better breeder/ trainer or better Vizslas. I've got his ph. # if you want it.

Whoever you go with, I strongly urge you to not buy out of the want ads. If you've been looking in the paper,( I often check out Vizsla prices and area codes) you may have recently noticed the TCVC (Twin Cities Vizsla Club) placing ads for Vizsla rescues. I spoke with Dale regarding this and he confirmed my suspicions that a large number of the "rescue" dogs are coming from people who've purchased Vizsla from "backyard" breeders that don't take into account the temperments, hip dysplasia history, health history, ect of the dogs they are breeding, or their descendants. They are also selling them "cheap", undermining alot of the work, time and effort of the consciencious breeders. They also don't tell you what a Vizsla needs in terms of exercise and what they can be like if not exercised. Thus, people are disappointed when their cute puppy grows up and requires more time and energy than they have to give, and they become anxious and even destructive.

You do pay more, but you also have a good idea of what you are getting. An honest & reputable breeder will do some screening and have you answer some questions before letting you buy one of their pups.

Don't mean to get on a soapbox, but I do think we need to think about more that money when buying a dog. We owe it to them, and the future of all the great breeds available.

I totally agree, and that goes with all breeds, not just Viszlas. Whenever buying a dog, regardless of what breed you want, for your sake and the dogs, do your homework and get one from someone reputable. Yes, you'll spend more initially, but you'll end up saving down the road on vet bills when you buy from a good breeder.

Quote:

Whoever you go with, I strongly urge you to not buy out of the want ads. If you've been looking in the paper,( I often check out Vizsla prices and area codes) you may have recently noticed the TCVC (Twin Cities Vizsla Club) placing ads for Vizsla rescues. I spoke with Dale regarding this and he confirmed my suspicions that a large number of the "rescue" dogs are coming from people who've purchased Vizsla from "backyard" breeders that don't take into account the temperments, hip dysplasia history, health history, ect of the dogs they are breeding, or their descendants. They are also selling them "cheap", undermining alot of the work, time and effort of the consciencious breeders. They also don't tell you what a Vizsla needs in terms of exercise and what they can be like if not exercised. Thus, people are disappointed when their cute puppy grows up and requires more time and energy than they have to give, and they become anxious and even destructive.

You do pay more, but you also have a good idea of what you are getting. An honest & reputable breeder will do some screening and have you answer some questions before letting you buy one of their pups.

Very well stated. Ragardless of breed, very good point and I could't agree more.

I believe they are going to check out Mira vizlas on the 8th of sept I will post what they decide to to do after then thanks for all the input

We have a pair of Vizsla. We'd be glad to share our opinions and breeder info with ya. Email me

Great to hear they are going to see some. Michel does a great job and will give you the real info for what you want to know.

Post when you hear more!

I love Vizslas, when I have a house they are on top of my list of dogs I want to get.

What do you guys think about vizslas as a family pet? I am not a hunter so the dog won't get trained for birds but I do want a dog that is good in the outdoors and that can handle a day on the boat and trips into the BWCA.

I know they need a ton of excersize, can anyone tell me how much you need to do on a daily basis to keep them happy and to keep them from getting bored and restless?

I want to get as much info as possible from actual vizsla owners before I decide to persue this breed.

There is a breeder/trainer with some good pups available right now..i think.

They are from Mitchell SD. Their kennel name is anderson country kennels i think. You can search that name and find them.

There are a couple of great books that are MUST reads if you want a great run down on the breed. The Vizsla by Boggs is #1. Others are good too. You can get links to them on the VCOI website(v club of illinois) As for exercise they do need regular exercise but you do not have to be a marathon runner to have them. I give them morning and afternooon/evening exercise runs in the yard or field a few days a week. Now this depends on age too. Young pups need different types of stimulation too. They are a smart breed and love people and families. So mental games are top of the list to keep them from getting bored. They mature around 2-3 years of age for males and less for females. In this I mean their brains catch up to the bodies. They are natural hunters and pointers and retrievers, if they have it in them from the breeding stock. Even if you do not hunt you can still exhibit them in the hunt test for Junior Hunter. This is a test that you only carry a blank pistol and fire it when the bird flushes after the point has been established. They also excel in agility and obedience competition. No matter what you get out what you put in.