• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

jams w/Rem 1100 auto/3 in shells

Has any1 else had this problem w/jams. my Rem. 1100 jams sometimes when i shoot 3inch shells but never when shootin 2 3/4 any thoughts on this thanx

my rem 1100 jams sometimes too. are you sure it can handle the 3 inch?

Well, i have 2 rem 1100s, and 1 rem 1187. i don't really have a problem shooting 3 inches in any of them cause the barrel did say for 2 3/4 or 3". Might want to check yours. Plus i make sure i keep all my guns clean. But i'm not saying i haven't had any jams with them using 3 inches, but when i do i usually just spray some rem oil on it and it works like new. grin.gif (ALWAYS HAVE TO CARRY A BOTTLE OF REM OIL.... NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU GONNA NEED IT smile.gif....)

The reason why they made the rem 1187 was because the 1100 had problems with jamming. I have one of the 1100's they made the first couple years and it jams way too often to use, and its as clean as a whistle. If its an older 1100, before remington fixed the problem it will jam, no geting around it. Iv talked to many others with the same problem. I dont use mine anymore for that reason.

I have been shooting my 1100 for 20+ years and rarely have issue with jams. I only have limited issues with very little 2 3/4 trap loads or light reloads.

What has worked for me is to clean it after every use, I break the gun down completely (aside from knocking out the trigger - that is only done a couple times a year). After cleaning, I actually keep everything pretty dry inside especially on the sliding portions inside the gun forearm. My personal experience is that Rem oil gums up in cold weather and hinders the auto action. WD40 is what works for me and like I said - I have been shooting the same 1100 for 20+ years. Maybe I have just been lucky with my particular gun.

My dad has a 1100 that he bought used and he has had it for 13 years. He has only cleaned the inside 1 time. The metal arm? or deal that stops the next shell from coming in the spot weld broke so it's a b#$%% to get back together. He is very rare and I go as far to say maybe 1 or 2 times jammed. He just cleans it as best he can without taking it fully apart.

Remingtom made 30 million 1100s and it sounds like a few of you got one of the dozen or so that worked. At one point I had 3 of those expensive canoe paddle single shots. They are all long since gone. BUY Beretta!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The Rem 1100s are great guns. My family has 7 of them and none of them jam unless they have not been cleaned properly. Although close attention to the type and amount of lube used is important especially in cold weather. In regards to jamming 3" rounds goes, 90% of these guns shot 2 3/4" rounds only. Unless yours is a 1100 Magnum it's not designed to shoot 3" rounds. However, an exception would be if you have replaced the barrel with the new Rem 1100 barrels which you can shoot 3" steel in the non magnum guns. Clearances for ejection are tight though so I'd expect more jams with that set up.

30 million 1100s? I don't think so. The 1100 is considered one of the best autos ever made. The technology is a little out dated but they are still a fine gun.

Might be good to take a look and see what that 1100 is chambered for. I have a 3" magnum, and a 2-3/4-3. The mag will not eject some low base or lower charged shells but does fine with heavy loads.

I have one 1100 thats 2-3/4 to 3" and I dont believe this gun has ever jammed.

Quote:

Remingtom made 30 million 1100s and it sounds like a few of you got one of the dozen or so that worked. At one point I had 3 of those expensive canoe paddle single shots. They are all long since gone.

Sounds like a severe case of operator error IMO.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.