• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Atv's and hunting

outdoor ran

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 4 wheeler. Its going to be great for plowing snow, ice fishing, and yard work. I hunt public land so I really don't think its going to help me with deer hunting. I do hunt off of some atv trails. I'm afraid if I leave the wheeler on the trailer for dragging that it will be gone when I get back out after dark. Not even sure I want to leave it on the side of the trail where it might get stolen. How close can you leave the wheeler to your stand without freaking the deer out so you can keep an eye on it.

Of course I would only use it where its permitted. Just want to hear some thoughts and experience from you guys. thanks.

I've hunted in areas where atv's are allowed and to be honest the deer activity just before opening day was awesome and soon as the atv's hit the trails in the morning the hunt went to complete scrap we could not buy a deer there was plenty out in front of the cabin after dark. So I would just leave it parked and only drive it out there to just retrieve your deer after you shoot one. That's just my 2 cents.

I usually park mine at least 3-400 yards from where I am hunting. If I know the deer may be coming that way...it may be further or not at all. I have had different reactions with deer. One time they walk right next to it and don't spook; other times they haul butt the other direction. If you respect others in the woods and only use them at the appropriate times; you shouldn't have any theft problems...also take your key out tongue.gif

I use to ride mine to the stand alot. I dont very often anymore because of the smeel left on your clothes. Gas, oil and exhaust odors will get on your camo.

I know its a great way to get to your stand and I use to get real lazy but it is rare thaT I will ride it to the stand anymore.

I used to park mine about 100 yds away from my stand, in a place I could still see it. Well the only deer I seen that weekend was standing right in front of my 4 wheeler, about 5 feet from it, I never got a clear shot, that my wheeler wouldnt have been in the way. It wasnt very afraid of my 4 wheeler.

I break it down like this. There are 3 responses that a deer can have to an ATV: it can attract them, it can scare them or it can have no effect. I think we can eliminate the attraction part, right? So that leaves us with no effect or it scares them. Likely some deer will fall into each category. So do you really want it near you if the BEST you can hope for is neutral? I leave mine about 3-400 yards away as well.

We have about a 3-mile hike to our stands from where we park our vehicles so naturally we like to use them. We have been using them for about 10 years. We actually park them withing a 100 yds. of one of our stands. Over the years I have taken three deer within 50 yds. of the parked wheelers.

I don't believe machinery bothers deer too much if at all. In fact, the ten years I spent in the logging industry seemed to support my claims. Quite often we'd notice deer bedding down within a few feet of our skidder trails and watch us go back and forth all afternoon.

How many times do we see deer standing along the roadside, stop our vehicle, open a window and talk or yell to them, and receive nothing more than a blank stare?

In my farming business I see deer all the time standing along the field watching me as I go about my business.

There have been countless times that I have noticed deer within just a few feet while out riding my ATV. They just don't seem to get concerned at all.

Bob

In some areas stopping by deer and having them stand there will happen. The area that we hunt, if you stop on the road and there are deer 300 yards out in the field, they are on the run before you will stop. I have never seen deer so skiddish in my life.

There is a fair amount of road hunters and nighttime hunters in the area that I hunt and I believe that they have been conditioned to the sound of auto's.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Are group parks them rate under are stand almost and in the last 5 years we have take 4 wall hangers. The wolves dont seem to mind them either which is odd i think.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Yep with my bow i would never park under the stand

I suppose that's possible harvey, but conditioned to what? A deer doesn't know that the crack of a rifle is harmful until it's too late to pass the experience on.

I have experienced occasions where I missed (yeah, I admit it) and the deer didn't even flinch at the sound. Or I shot one with others present and the rest didn't move. Do you suppose they can learn over time to just not like the sound and so they leave?

Bob

Not to get too far off subject but, If you could see the deer run away no matter how far you are away from them, you might wonder why. I have not been able to figure this out for years. They do not like motorized vechiles. Tractors are ok and dont bother them, only vehicles on the road.

There is a duck slough near my house that borders a corn field and a patch of evergreens. (It's the prairie, all trees are sacred grin.gif). I often drive my ATV to my duck hunting spot, unload decoys and guns, then stash my wheeler in the evergreens while I'm out duck hunting.

On a great many occaisions I've seen deer sniffing my wheeler. Once when I was walking up to my wheeler I jumped a small buck that bedded down right next to it.

Does the wheeler affect this particular deer herd? I don't think so. However, like Harvey Lee in a way said, the deer where he hunts do not like things with motors. Around my place I honestly think they are very used to wheelers. Prolly cuz they are as common as tractors on the farm. That's just a guess, tho.

During an atv riding trip in wisconsin, a deer ran along side one of the people in our group for about 100yds while driving down the atv trail.

I hunted with my grandpa for the first 10 years of my hunting career. I would literally drive my 4-wheeler and park it right next to my box stand. I would then cover it with a camo tarp and that would be it. I never went a year without shooting a deer in that whole time. Then when the DNR allowed people to take does with out having to draw the permits, I took anywhere from 2-5 deer in the first weekend. That would be the end of my season, but the ATV never scared the deer at all. Personally, I think most of the deer in MN hear motors running enough through out the year to not be scared of them.

The areas where they hear motors running are probably ok. Where I hunt, not to many times they see a car. In fact one area has not seen a car for 3 years. The road is closed off.

The township closed the road a few years ago and we gated it so there is no travel by vechile, wheelers only and not open to the public.

It most be different for deer. My cabin in Wisconsin, on the weekend may see 10 cars a day on the road , if that. It is a good 7 miles from any traffic. The deer there arent afraid at all of vehicles. They can be standing along side the road, you can drive right past them, they will look up at you, thats about it. I was parked at my cabin, right next to it with my truck, I had a tub of apples I was going to throw out to the deer in the back of my truck, inwhich I was going to do the next morning. In the middle of the night the deer tore in to my tonneau cover and ate some of the apples out of the back of my truck, scratched it up pretty bad. Lesson learned, to take apples out of the back of the truck when I get there. I realize they were lured into this situation, but they werent to afraid of us in the cabin, or the truck.

It is legal to bait in wisconsin! And this was before season anyhow, so dont jump my case!

we leave the wheeler in camp and only use it to retrive a deer. mainly because of other hunters maybe been sitting a couple hrs. don"t need a wheeler going past. In our camp when you hear the 4 wheeler you go to help the get the deer out.