• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What color base coat for a duck boat?

I'm painting a 14 ft boat and I was wondering what color paint I should use for a base coat.

We just used a basic white/gray oil based primer. Then put on olive in inside and marsh brown on outside. Turned out well. If you can get darker, you may want to try that, but ours turned out okay. Actually, did two of them all marsh bronw, and one brown outside and olive/green inside. I kind of think it is better darker final color on inside, but who knows smile.gif Others here have more paint experience than me. Ours has lasted a long time though, the oil based paint you can get at outdoor stores, though kinda spendy.

Good luck, take pictures as you do it to share here.

I used a primer and then put my coat on. You may choose to put one undercoat on, if I did that I would have gone with a gray or white.

Be sure to get a darker outer color. I tried for Olive Drab and it came out a little too light. It still works well and hunts well, but I still wish for something darker.

Good luck!

We used a light tan and a little darker tan and very little duck green. Cattails in fall are tan so should your boat. Too dark and you will stick out like a sore thumb.