• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Over/Under Question

RoosterRedneck

I also what an O/U this year. Have the new dog and want a new gun to boot. My biggest decision is 12 or 20. grin.gif Your right hitman they sure are cool looking. smile.gif

I do like my new O/U. It is also not cool enough IMO to justify one that is $500 plus. I'll still use my Browning Gold 90% of the time.

Still not sure if I REALLY need it, but I have always wanted one but they are so darn expensive. I think I would go Stoeger.

I got the Remington SPR10 as a gift last year. Hunted Pheasants with it quite a bit. Dang they are fun.

So far I think I'm just as good with it as I am with my other shot guns. I did see you thought you would go with the stoeger. That's what I was debating with too. Until I found out to step up to the auto ejectors you have to go with the Condor Supreme. Then it was getting close to the $500 range. It did fit me just as good as the Remington though. I can't remember if the condor supreme was able to select which barrel fires first. The remington has that ability.

I bought a Rem. Peerless 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel the first year they came out and have never regretted it, with the short barrel and improved cyl. chokes it is great for grouse, for pheasant I use mod. chokes and switch to 3 inch shells when they start getting up farther out there. This gun cost me $1100.00 but I don't baby it I bought it to use and that is what I do, for ducks and geese I have a Berretta 390 with a composite stock I have a couple other shotguns, a Win. Model 1912, 16 ga., and a Ithica mod. 37R, one I have had for 46 yrs. and the other for 40 they are both great guns but have been pretty much retired. When buying guns it pays to buy quality, take care of them and thy will last you the rest of your life, don't worry about a scratch here and there they just serve to remind you of past trips.

I agree with buying it right the first time. I still remember a buddy of mine that said, "Do you think I could "by" with a 42-pound trolling motor?"

I told him he could get by but spending the extra $125 was a no-brainer. He bought the cheaper one and replaced it next year and lost money on it.

I have learned from mistakes like that.

I assume the extra $125 was for more thrust. Trolling motor do have some features but if a Motorguide 42 lb thrust was $125 less then a Minnkota I would by the motorguide and vice versa. For an extra $1000 in say a Browning Citori is it going to guarantee I kill more birds? I looked at the O/U situation like this (This is just my opinion of course).

I'd compare it to a new truck.

Lets say the stripped down model costs 20,000 = a stoeger Condor (no auto ejectors, no fancy engravings, no selecting which barrel shoots first)

The next step up may have a couple extra features say CD changer, better tires and rims, etc., and cost $25,000 = My Remington SPR310 (auto ejectors, selective barrels, no fancy engravings, no nickle)

Top of the line new truck (leather heated seats, fancy paint job, CD, DVD player, GPS, every bell and whistle) $30,000 = Remingtons top of the line, I forget the name.

Deep down all the trucks are still the same you just need to decide which features you can live with and what you can't. Plus the price tag. I personnally went with the main features I wanted. Would it have been nice to have all the bells and whistles....sure. I'm sure someone will tear into this and be my guest. This is just one middle class person's opinion.

P.S. I would have compare the stripped down truck to a remington model also but they don't make one. I also know you have to consider the fit of the gun. Just for arguements sake say all the guns fit perfectly.

Buy a nice clean used Browning Superposed and be done with it. And quit worrying about whether it looks "cool". Its a shotgun. A classic, dependable, handsome and effective shotgun. It does not have to be cool. smirk.gif

D2Earth,

I follow what you are saying... but let me add this, there is a huge difference in how a gun handles based on it's balance. SO yes some may 'fit' right when it comes to length etc. but may not swing right.

There are also marked differences in the construction of each gun. Better wood, better blueing, better steel, tighter fit etc. With all that said, I have 3 Mossbergs that are O.K. and a Browning that is incredible. It is night and day difference when I shoot them... Not only in the 'fit' but the balance too. I also have an old Richland Arms O/U which is a great gun for me, but seldom gets used due to the full / full chokes. I had a Beretta 686 that just did nothing for me... I no longer have it. Fit / finish was superb, just could not shoot it worth a dang. Seemed to fit fine, just did not shoot it well. I've heard good things about the Remingtons and would've probably done the same thing as you... but don't be surprised if you find yourself looking to move up. wink.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

so, all-in-all -- What is the best options when considering money? Can everyone put a gun down and app. cost?

What can you expect for a $350-500 gun?

Thanks

Hit

Personally? I wouldn't look at those $300-400 guns... that's me. It's the difference between a really cheap pump and an 870.

If you can get into the $500 range you begin to get into some better guns... the Remington SPs, and the Mossberg Silver Reserve etc. They are backed by large companies, so even if they are made out of this country, you will have a leg to stand on when it comes to warranty or parts. My Mossbergs were 'good buys' as far as price and quality, but I doubt I will ever swing the 12ga. again due to buying the Browning. I'll still use the 28ga. Mossberg for grouse (nice and light) and my son will start with the .410 Mossberg next year.

That's my 2 cents...

Good Luck!

Ken

Hey LABS (Ken). Send me an private email (under my profile). Going to be up at BOTL with 4 other guys Wednesday morning of next week (cabin 10 again). One of the guys is bringing a young Flatcoated Retriever and we might be looking to let him chase down some grouse. Wondering if you had any info for us. Thanks.

Mark

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'd also add the KHAN doubles into the discussion. They also make the new doubles for Mossberg. Nothing fancy but solid guns.

The thing to remember is that many of the lower end shotguns that the mainstream manufacturers are selling are not made by them. The Remignton SP series are Russian made, (although I can't remeber which company is making the guns for them).

Quote:

I'd also add the KHAN doubles into the discussion. They also make the new doubles for Mossberg. Nothing fancy but solid guns.

The thing to remember is that many of the lower end shotguns that the mainstream manufacturers are selling are not made by them. The Remignton SP series are Russian made, (although I can't remeber which company is making the guns for them).

Bakail or something clost to that.

Correct, they are made by other companies, but when they shut down production, my guess is Mossberg and Remington will still be able to get you parts and service your guns should the need arise. Many small out of country companies have disappeared and no parts are available fo rthose guns.

Good Luck!

Ken