• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

scared of kennel

dashhound

I have a 2 1/2 year old GSP. He is a inside/outside dog. He goes out to his kennel when we leave the house and not home. He never gave us any problem doing this. He would usually sense when we were leaving and go in his kennel right away. His other option is a create down in the basement. He usually would prefer the outside vs. the inside kennel. Now he won't go in is outside kennel if he knows we are leaving. He will run up to the bedroom closet and hide. He even puts his head in the corner and looks away when he sees me coming to CARRY him to the kennel. What can I do. Why is he so scared of the kennel. It makes him shake when he knows he is going in there.

any advice would be great. Thanks

Did someone do something to him in the kennel when you were not at home? We had a lab that would go into the kennel and she would beeline for her doghouse. We never figured out what happened, we thought maybe the neighbor did something to her because he never really cared for her. It did get better over time though. Hope someone else can give you some good advice or that it gets better over time!

We did have a substitute mail man that never really cared for the dog. For the normal mail man the dog will sit and wait to get a pat on the head. With the other he just barks. We also have people that work at a near by factory try and take a nap in front of our house during their lunch. Maybe a little footage from the aqua view in the near future.

I think someone is doing something to Him in the kennel while you are gone. Maybe neighbor kids teasing him.

Go into the kennel with him. Sit and pet him and give him some good all over slobbering attention. Stay in there with the door open for a while. If he get's up and leaves coax him back in. Don't discipline him. This is the one time I would advocate treats... Get him to come in and go out on his terms.

As he goes in it use the command 'kennel' and praise him for going in. Let him know he's a good boy, when he leaves, just stay put and wait for him to come back in... It may take a few sessions, but I think you can turn it around.

While you're gone give him a big smoked beef bone to gnaw on. Don't let him have it anywhere but in his kennel. Then he can begin to associate something good with the kennel again.

I would set up a trail camera pointing down towards the kennel and see if you can catch an image or 2 of what is going on. Even if they aren't coming all the way up to the kennel, you will have a time stamp on it to know when something is getting him riled up. Get a digital with a 256k card and empty it each night to see if something is going on...

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs is right.

Shower him with attention inside the kennel. Spend a lot of time with him inside. If he goes out that is ok. Just keep working it slowly and he will be ok.

Put in toys, treats, rawhide etc. Work it slow and have small victories.

Somebody must have done something to him to make him that.