• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Guys Tagging Deer For Their Wives

chucker34

Quote:

Saw the Star Tribune article on the effort to keep increasing the number of women hunters. Good stuff. It was also interesting that the paper said the number of women purchasing deer hunting licenses has actually been declining but that the DNR says they believe that's because those women never existed. That those licenses were likely cases of men tagging for their wife who never actually hunted.

lcornice, thoughts or input on why that stopped happening. More available tags? More opportunities. Tougher enforcement by the DNR?

I wonder if you are going to see more of this again now that the all-season has been changed to one deer in lottery areas. I hope not, sucks big time for those who abide by the law and hope that by doing so, they'll be able to take 2 or 3 in a few years after the herd recovers.

It's along the lines of the guy who let's the little guy walk in hopes to see him as a big'un in few years only to hear him mowed down a few minutes later. Only in this instance, taking more deer that the law calls for, is illegal and will likely adversely impact the herd, which is what the new bag limits are trying to avoid in the first place.

Here's an idea to solve your woes if you really need another deer, though. Teach your wife or daughter to shoot and have her join you in the field this November. Problem solved.
grin.gif

Started in 2003 when most of the state went to either-sex over the counter and you could get a $14 bonus tag anywhere. Why buy a $26 license and risk getting caught when you can buy a $14 license and stay legal?

I have given this topic some thought overnight and I find that I have to yield to a part of it. I am embarrassed to admit this but hey, this is about sharing good information and insight.

Although this has happened probably only twice in the last 15 years there have been times when I have to admit that I have abused party hunting ethically or at the very least bordered on abuse. I live here in Osakis but I hunt in northern MN near Mt. Iron. I am usually only able to find time to take four days during the 16-day hunt. On those years when my schedule works out that I am hunting the first weekend and we take a deer, we tag it with my license. This way, after I go home my brother and his son still have both of their tags to use even though it may have been one of them that took that first deer.

Over those years it has been rare that we fill out all of our tags so in reality this practice has made little difference but this discussion we have been having has me rethinking what we do. So I guess with this I can now say that I have found one reason to outlaw party hunting.

I also want to offer or restate my scenarios in support of party hunting.

Dad and son are out hunting and instead of dad taking a doe and using his son's tag, let's consider the opposite. The son doesn't have the doe tag but dad does. The son has opportunity or multiple opportunities for a nice doe and takes one using his dad's tag. Now, you guys that think I'm selfish for suggesting that dad would take a doe on his son's tag can be satisfied. Anyway, due to party hunting the son can still hunt the rest of the season and in fact has opportunity to take a nice buck if it happens along on his tag.

How about the dad that uses his tag in the first 10 minutes of opening morning only this time it was the buck of a lifetime. Would he be selfish for doing so, knowing that his son's season would be over as a result?

By the way, for this scenario let's remember the age I intentionally suggested for the boy was 14. This means he can party hunt and sit in a stand alone. He has already graduated from having dad right at his side coaching so this scenario is not suggesting that dad would take the boy's shot away from him. I wouldn't be that selfish.

Fact is, party hunting actually makes it easier to provide more opportunity for the 14 and 15 year olds to hunt more. They are not allowed to hunt alone...but they are allowed to BE alone with a hunting party.

Bob

Im sure weve all been guilty of something or another! Im not trying to rip on you or your ways. Im only trying to show how a deer season w/o party hunting is better for the deer herd and makes hunters more appreciative and selective.... in my opinion.

My scenario....

I hunt with a party. We shoot our own deer. We pass on small bucks waiting for a mature buck (this often means waiting years). The deer I pass up go lay down and that group of hunters comes that you talked about, long shots, legs missing, not a care in the world, just a party of killers!! NOT doing anything illegal... but wrong... i think so! The deer dont deserve that! My young son who chose to pass on a small buck in hopes of a future trophy... watched it mowed down by a guy whos already killed 3 bucks, but still needs to "fill the partys tags". This is the crap I am sick of, and party hunting encourages it!

I think good ethical hunters like yourself BobT would have a quality hunting experience either way. I just want to see an end to slob hunting which seems to go hand in hand with party hunting confused.gif thats how I feel.

I think I understand where you're coming from and I agree under those circumstances. I guess in our party none of us feels the "need" to fill tags. We view party hunting as an increased opportunity for further hunting and better chance for a successful hunt where we measure our success partially by our experience but also by the prize.

Taking pot shots at running deer and risking wounding them is not demonstrative of good hunting ethics. My wife doesn't like deer hunting particularly because of what she has seen around here and I have to keep reminding her that what she is seeing is a small few hunters that don't use some etiquette while hunting and what I and the majority of rest of us do is quite different.

Bob

lcornice, thanks for the response.

BobT and Slimngizzly, good posts and good stuff. You both have a lot of good points and party hunting the way BobT does it makes for a great experience.

What has turned me off in the past specifically is party hunting doing drives like that Slimngrizzly described, not party hunting in general. Last year, during the close of our second gun season, I watched a group of about a dozen guys swing through a wood patch and alfalfa field shooting at everything in site. Mowing down some yearling bucks and fawns and exploding deer everywhere into the brush. It was similar to the old Civil War battle style where they marched forward in lines trying to hit anything they could in their paths. At one point they were not far from my property line so I got down with my bow and full blaze orange of course and walked over to the line to remind them of the boundaries.

Their last ditch effort to flush anything they could put a bullet in because their season was over shut down my bow season for the rest of the year. The deer went underground and I got a trail cam pic in the wee hours of the morning here and there from there out. They did nothing illegal. They did nothing unethical. They just left an even more sour taste in my mouth for deer drives.

Again, I think the lesson learned here is we have to establish the difference between well-planned out party hunting and carefully executed deer drives and all out shooting matches to mow down anything in your path.

Quote:

Again, I think the lesson learned here is we have to establish the difference between well-planned out party hunting and carefully executed deer drives and all out shooting matches to mow down anything in your path.

Very, very , very well said.

I am part of a group that party hunts. We always have and we always will. We do it legally and ethically. We always have and we always will. Like chucker so very well said. There is a huge difference between forming a mosh line and a good deer drive. Let's not confuse the 2.

Back when we had to apply for a doe tag in our area - everyone would apply, and at most only one would be drawn.

The person who has not shot a deer in the longest time period then gets first crack at a doe. (Sometimes it could have been 10 years between harvesting a deer). The person who got the tag just agreed - after all its not all about the hunt.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Finally, party hunting to me often = deer drives, which I have a great disdain for. Again, I can't see any reason to ban them and there's nothing legally or ethically wrong with them in my books, I just don't like hunting that way. I'm not saying its not as sporting as sitting and waiting in a treestand or blind. I'm just saying I don't like the feel of it or the safety concerns involved. Perhaps much of this is because I bowhunt pretty much exclusively now. But I think I'd feel that way even if I exclusively gun hunted.

Well said - I feel exactly the same way.. you just said it much more eloquently. Last year, rifle hunting opener on public land we had a group of guys come through DRIVING THE WOODS at 9am? You can guess how great the hunting was the rest of the weekend. Fortunately for those good 'ole boys, they filled several tags including 2 spike bucks. Ugh.

If I could make two changes to our state's hunting regs, they would be:

1) No party hunting

2) Earn-a-buck OR antler restrictions (3-pts a side)

Yeah, I'm one of those 'snobby' bowhunters. Thing is though, I want what everyone wants: A balanced, healthy deer herd with multiple age classes of bucks and does. I just don't think that others are willing to take the steps to do it (let them walk, antler restrictions, shoot does, etc).

Wow.. we've gotten off subject a little smile.gif

You guys keep saying you would prefer no party hunting but your descriptions of what you're apposed to sound more like you would prefer no drive hunting. There is a difference!

Bob

BobT is right on. I failed to make that difference known initially but later did. It's the drive hunting I don't care for. The main reason is the pressure if often so intense that it might as well be the last ditch effort for you and everyone on surrounding properties. When guys do drives nearby our land, its usually signals and causes the end of hunting for the year. The deer who are already spooked from stand hunting pressure go completely underground after that. But it is they guys' own land or land they have permission to hunt on, so what can you do?

Just because you do not "Drive Hunt" doen't mean it is bad. I have found it is the HUNTERS! not the laws that are bad.

To all the "Heart on their sleeves" go hug a tree - if you need to slam all hunters in general.

I party/solo hunt - I am driving deer to my father and odds are that the people on the stand get the shot.

I could go on & on but this thread is getting stupid.

B2

P.S. I shoot a 8 pt. almost every year; I also hunt on my private land.

Quote:

If I could make two changes to our state's hunting regs, they would be:

1) No party hunting

2) Earn-a-buck OR antler restrictions (3-pts a side)

Yeah, I'm one of those 'snobby' bowhunters.

Waitforit,

I'm a bowhunter and I don't want to be lumped into the same snob category as you. You sound like a snob. "no drive hunting" because it hurts your hunting. "lets institute antler restrictions and earn a buck because I, the great snob, want to hunt only big bucks". Don't lump all bowhunters in your category. I've shot a lot of does and small bucks with my bow and will continue to do so as long as it gives me an adrenelin rush.

You make all bowhunters sound bad.

"Just because you do not "Drive Hunt" doen't mean it is bad. I have found it is the HUNTERS! not the laws that are bad.

To all the "Heart on their sleeves" go hug a tree - if you need to slam all hunters in general."

Never said it was bad and wasn't slamming other hunters for doing it. In fact, I said I did think it should be allowed. Just that its not my cup of tea. If me preferring to stand hunt makes me a snob, then so be it. As the late Ricky Nelson said, "you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself."

BTW, I will be hugging a tree Saturday morning - at about 20 feet above the Earth.

lol. BTW, blackjack, I'm going to try and take the first respectable deer (i.e., not a fawn) that comes by my stand this year. So maybe my strategy/philosophy helps restore some of the humbleness of bowhunters. lol.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Enforce the laws we have now instead of making new laws.

If a guys shoots a deer for someone with a tag and that guy is home watching TV, its illegal. Whats going to stop that same guy from shooting deer for a party member that is hunting if you make it illegal?

If I want my son to shoot his deer and my deer thats perfectly legal but wrong in some eyes. If I have 5 tags and shoot 5 deer and donate 4 deer to a food shelf thats OK? I can't shot a deer for a party member but I can donate it to a stranger. Wheres the logic?

Heres another scenario. A group of 5 guys take two weeks to spend deer season at the shack. 4 guys get their deer opening weekend. The 5th guy continues to hunt and the other 4 turn into nature photographers. I Don't Think So.

Lets get back to the topic about using tags from someone absent from the woods. Its illegal, enforce that law, problem fixed.

My deer season is usually only two days long. Last year, it was longer.

We hunt on our own land. If you get a deer, you still hunt and can take another deer (unless we are doing extremely well, then it is large bucks only for you). However, you still hunt but now your main goal is to help someone else in the party get a deer.

We have 4 people in our party under 20 years old (out of 11 hunters). We have two members over 70. All are family. After the first morning, if you haven't shot at a deer...you get a choice of spots. If you shot but missed, you get second choice. If you got a deer, you choose last. Yes, you could build a deer stand for yourself...but could "lose" the spot and end up sitting on the ground if you got a deer.

Also, people with deer are responsible to make the drives for the other hunters. So, you shoot a deer the first morning, you will do a LOT of walking some years....

This encourages more selective hunting. This also gives everyone a chance at a deer. A successful year is not by all the deer we got, but who had a chance at a deer and the excitement.

We make drives every year that are well organized. Making a drive does not ruin the hunt. We drive a piece of woods, and can still post on it the same night...and we still get deer. If you have the right habitat, they will come back. Typically, half our deer are shot on drives.

More than two days to hunt improves selective hunting. Only two days, and you kill the first deer you see. I like the way it was last year.

The deer are plentiful and party hunting should stay in place. But, the person in the party has to be hunting and nearby.

Our best family pictures have deer hanging in the background. Both my parents, brothers, nieces, nephews, all hunt. It is a familiy tradition more than anything else. If you don't hunt, you are not welcome at the "hunting shack" unless you want to cook and babysit kids.

And yes, we shoot at running deer. Running deer can be dropped over 90% of the time if you know how to hit them. You don't just shoot at the deer either, you only take a shot if it is a killing shot. Unsure, you don't shoot. We have very very few "wounded deer" issues. And, if we do...we have expert trackers and great neighbors who will find the deer.

Our family has hunted the same land for nearly 100 years, and we know the land extremely well. We sometimes know where a deer is going before he does!

Thanks to a great and lucky family...we have 100's of acres of woods and undeveloped lakeshore that will remain that way for many many years.

It seems to me that most every body agrees, that if the person isn't out hunting, you cannot fill his licence, but if you are in a group and you have yours, why not help the other person get thiers as long as they agree to it and are out in the field.

We hunt pretty much the same way as Hammer Handle for the rifle season, on private land. Same thing, do a drive, can still shoot deer that nite in the same spot. As far as the shooting deer and choosing stands and walking on the drives, same for us, except for me. I have no problem walking on any of the drives we make, but i am the monkey of the group and there are places where we should have stands, but don't yet. that is usually my calling, find a tree and climb it grin.gifgrin.gif. ya i know i should wear a harness etc, but i have been climbing trees since i was a little kid, and i am still young an flexible enough to do it. i always use a rope for the gun, and i know my personal limits and tree sizes.

The argument here seems to be about whats legal and whats not.... and everyone claims to hunt "the right way" and its those "unethical other hunters" that make the sloppy deer drives and the rest of us good ones "look bad"!?!

Yes... the problem is people that dont play by the rules. But, to me, MN deer hunting regulations make it it easy for slob hunting to go on. Party-hunting, hunting the rut, not shooting does w/doe permits, not having any buck restrictions.... all of it is set up for simply killing deer! The state sets up legal ways for sloppy hunters to do a deer drives and mow down anything in their path, it allows people to shoot now and identify later, because as long as there is hunters in the group with tags, it doesnt matter what it is! None of this should even be possible! But our laws allow it, and therefore, in a way, promote it! It makes me sick!

This state manages strictly for quanity, NOTHING for quality! WHY confused.gif When it could so effectively be managed for both???

One hunter taking a walk with the hopes that a deer he might encounter happens to take a path past a partner’s stand is not driving deer. A drive is an organized group of hunters working together primarily for the purpose of herding the deer into a particular direction and in some cases to a particular point. Not too unlike the way we hunt grass and cattail sloughs for pheasants. There could be a valid reason for making drives. Those that engage in this method might be more interested in putting meat on the table than hunting. Don’t they have that right anymore?

One disturbing underlying theme I’m hearing from this thread reflects a lot of what has been happening to our hunting and fishing way of life in recent decades. That is that society, including some of us hunters and fisherpeople, have been moving these activities away from what they really are or at least once were and that is another means to put food on the table for ourselves and our families.

Both sides have merit. In fact if it wasn’t for the sportsmen we wouldn’t have hunting seasons, regulations, and efforts to preserve the wildlife populations for the future and likely no game to harvest. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying the hunt anymore than there is nothing wrong with enjoying the meal. What’s wrong is when we try to impose one philosophy on everyone else.

There are so many including hunters and fisherpeople that as of late have been pushing to convert our thinking so that these activities are becoming “sport” first and “sustenance” second. We manage our fisheries for the purpose of creating trophy lakes and look down on those that wish to take home a limit. We praise those that take the big buck of the year and frown on someone that takes a doe or fawn, which by the way taste a whole lot better.

I for one enjoy the hunt equally with the meal it provides. Forgive me that I have a bottom line goal of bringing meat home and personally I prefer younger meat. I may not get as much but it sure tastes better than some old beat down buck full of adrenaline and testosterone or an old slab of fish that tastes like it's spent its life in some warm water slew. That doesn't mean I'm out there to just blow away anything and everything I encounter for I don't and I am not a slob hunter nor do I engage in drives. I am a hunter/gatherer and I grow many of my own vegetables. It's in my nature and we have been given nature for our sustenance by a much higher power than anyone here.

Society, including a great many of us sports people, is engaged in an effort to turn it around into sport first and sustenance second. I’d like to propose a warning. If and when you succeed in inverting this philosophy, the anti-hunters and anti-fishing groups will surely get the upper hand. It is much easier to eliminate an activity that society views only as entertainment than something it views as necessary.

Bob

Well said bobt, I am all for having bigger bucks outhere, but for me I want a nice 2-2 1/2 yr old for the table, I will take a doe, or a yunger buck. I dont like when someone takes a yearling, but that is their choice. If a big 12 pt buck walks to me, I wont let it pass by, but, I am out their to get some meat on the table, so I wont let a 6 pointer pass by either. Sport hunting isnt what its about, atleast for me. If people want to sport hunt they should just use a tranqualizer gun, then they can release them after their trophy picture!

BobT, you explained it great.

(Applause)

For some, me included, it is about the family getting together and putting food on the table.

And, the deer are overpopulated now. I run into a DNR Official last year that was HAPPY I shot two deer, one being quite small.

"Sporstman" want to impose theirs rules on everyone. They have to understand that their is plenty of room for all of us. Taking home fish is getting hard, I hate the same to happen for hunting. Duck hunting is getting even worse as there are no "trophies" and people shoot ducks just for fun, not for the "food factor".

Yes, there are crazy hunters out there. Don't lump everyone that shoots a small deer in this group.

Quote:

One hunter taking a walk with the hopes that a deer he might encounter happens to take a path past a partner’s stand is not driving deer. A drive is an organized group of hunters working together primarily for the purpose of herding the deer into a particular direction and in some cases to a particular point. Not too unlike the way we hunt grass and cattail sloughs for pheasants. There could be a valid reason for making drives. Those that engage in this method might be more interested in putting meat on the table than hunting. Don’t they have that right anymore?

One disturbing underlying theme I’m hearing from this thread reflects a lot of what has been happening to our hunting and fishing way of life in recent decades. That is that society, including some of us hunters and fisherpeople, have been moving these activities away from what they really are or at least once were and that is another means to put food on the table for ourselves and our families.

Both sides have merit. In fact if it wasn’t for the sportsmen we wouldn’t have hunting seasons, regulations, and efforts to preserve the wildlife populations for the future and likely no game to harvest. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying the hunt anymore than there is nothing wrong with enjoying the meal. What’s wrong is when we try to impose one philosophy on everyone else.

There are so many including hunters and fisherpeople that as of late have been pushing to convert our thinking so that these activities are becoming “sport” first and “sustenance” second. We manage our fisheries for the purpose of creating trophy lakes and look down on those that wish to take home a limit. We praise those that take the big buck of the year and frown on someone that takes a doe or fawn, which by the way taste a whole lot better.

I for one enjoy the hunt equally with the meal it provides. Forgive me that I have a bottom line goal of bringing meat home and personally I prefer younger meat. I may not get as much but it sure tastes better than some old beat down buck full of adrenaline and testosterone or an old slab of fish that tastes like it's spent its life in some warm water slew. That doesn't mean I'm out there to just blow away anything and everything I encounter for I don't and I am not a slob hunter nor do I engage in drives. I am a hunter/gatherer and I grow many of my own vegetables. It's in my nature and we have been given nature for our sustenance by a much higher power than anyone here.

Society, including a great many of us sports people, is engaged in an effort to turn it around into sport first and sustenance second. I’d like to propose a warning. If and when you succeed in inverting this philosophy, the anti-hunters and anti-fishing groups will surely get the upper hand. It is much easier to eliminate an activity that society views only as entertainment than something it views as necessary.

Bob

Very well said Bob. How come guys like you never call my office?

This thread is really off course, but I won't buck the flow. I agree it's gotten ridiculous where some hunters are looking down on other hunters because they party hunt & do drives.

The ultimate goal of deer hunting it to shoot deer. If it isn't, why wait for season? go sit in the woods & look at them anytime you want, that's perfectly legal.

We've seen people in our area & not many, very few, but it sticks with you, who were driving down the road shooting at deer on land they didn't have permission to hunt, that's slob hunting, very dangerous & highly illegal. A well planned drive is simply effective & a lot of fun. Some of my family's best deer hunting memories are from drives. What other time is there when multiple guys get to be there & see the shot & the deer drop live? not on video, not a story, which are all great, but they get to share it with you or you with them. Those are great memories. The shot so & so made on the running deer is the one more than any other that will stick with you.

Quote:

I'm a bowhunter and I don't want to be lumped into the same snob category as you. You sound like a snob. "no drive hunting" because it hurts your hunting. "lets institute antler restrictions and earn a buck because I, the great snob, want to hunt only big bucks". Don't lump all bowhunters in your category. I've shot a lot of does and small bucks with my bow and will continue to do so as long as it gives me an adrenelin rush.

Its not really about big bucks, though.. its about better management practices = better hunting. I know a lot of guys that say "I dont care about trophies - I hunt for the table". These same guys don't want to shoot does.. they'll shoot a forkhorn just to say they got a buck. Let em walk!

For the record, I shoot a lot of does too smile.gif They taste better anyway.

I realize after reading mine and other posts that the discussion got a little off-track. I think I was just miffed about drive hunting based on what happened last year - in all fairness it IS a legal technique even if I don't appreciate it.

I don't know.. I think the bottom line is that many gun hunters only have one weekend, so it comes down to getting that kill any way they can- brown its down. I just dont think its the best thing for the deer herd, thats all. Its really not about driving the woods vs. not, party hunting vs. not. How do you make things better without harming the experience of another group of hunters? Maybe its fine the way it is?