• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Matt C

Wharf

Matt C

I hear its very shallow out of that resort? I will be staying up there Thurs through Sun. 18.5 Deep V OK? Or am I going to be pushing? Rocks to be aware of?

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!

Shack

Sorry I do not know how Wharf is.

It is shallow all over the state. I have heard of was outs at the end of launch's that have over a 2" drop on them. People back boat down launch and "bang", soon as the hit the very end of the launch concrete pad and their tires hit the water, down goes trailer. There is a post in one of the river forums about this. This is a launch that when the water is high, boats would just float right off. Now the water is down so low, you have to drive almost down to the end of ramp and if you do not look in water or check with a stick. Bang! Down she goes!

Bunt2k, Happy B-day.

Matt C

Thanks.

Fishermans Wharf in Isle, resort is what I meant. smile.gif

Paul Waldowski

I have heard that it is becoming very hard to get in and out of there harbor with the water as low as it is.

Matt C

Thanks Paul. I may just drive to your resort then to launch the boat.! smile.gif Looks like your right next door.

Shack

I think Appledororns will launch boat for you.

BemmaB363

Their harbor channel was pretty low when I was there at the end of June, so I would think it must be pretty sketchy by now.

walterking

during the day possible but you have to find the right line at night very very hard.

davesfriend

The reason you get that "bang" is from people power landing their boat. It pushes all the dirt back. I even saw a guy put his boat at about 1/4 throttle ,walk to the front, hook the boat, crank it up a little, then walk back and drop the throttle. The damage this does to the landings is terrible. I have a roller trailer, and it will roll off, but when you do it correctly it is not an issue. Please stop power landing! If you need help please ask someone!

walterking

davesfriend i will meet you at a boat launch and let you load my boat without power a 620 with a 250 4 stroke and a kicker is not possible to crank on the trailer we use the acceses also and when its your only option theres nothing you can do especially when the people behind you are trying to get in the water so if we didnt powerload and cranked it up everyone would complain about that give it a rest!

eyewarrior

I also need to powerload its the ONLY way to get my boat on a bunk trailer!! Maybe if enough people call the DNR they will come with a backhoe & dig out the hump. It worked at Farm Island lake! I think that the resorts on Mille Lacs have more clout with the DNR than we the people or there would be better public accesses. I may be way off base with that comment but I am entitled to my opinion.

Matt C

Launch was fine. They were dredging out the channel when we got up there on Thursday. 1.5FOW. Ended up putting in at Twin Bay Thursday and Friday though due to the mud they stirred up.

davesfriend

Is it really difficult to put a boat on a bunk trailer? I have seen guys put the trailer "under the water" and drive the boat on, shut of and crank er right up there. I don't have a problem with driving it up at a rapid pace, it is just when the boat is on the trailer leaving the boat at high RPM's in gear really messes things up. Maybe I am way off base, but if you have the trailer in far enough won't the boat go on there? And if bunk trailers are so tough to land on why are they so popular? I am not trying to pee in anyones cornflakes it may be I just don't understand. Either way you have just as much right to be there as I do.

Sorry for the rant, I just don't want stuff broken if it don't need to be...

gizmoguy

It has alot to do with how steep the launch grade is. If it is too steep (like the Wharf's) and you put the whole trailer in the only contact with the boat would be at the winch. In my case the nose of the boat would be under the bow bumper at that amount of grade. You need to have contact with the bunks to have the boat lined up properly. Side to side and lenghtwise. Very few boat ramps are at the perfect grade. In the case of the wharf, like a lot of ramps if you go to far back the wheels will fall of the concrete and then nobody will be using the ramp for the next couple of hours as you try to get your trailer off the ground. Most boats are sold with bunk trailers today. Especially the large fiberglass and aluminum walleye boats. When I fish alone I don't have much of a choice. One tip I will pass along to all bunk trailer owners is after fishing all day and the carpet is good and dried out after sitting in the sun all day. Spray a whole can of 100% silicone on your bunks. Be careful your bunk trailer will behave very differently. It will act alot like a roller trailer. So don't unhook the boat untill it's over the water! This can now be a pain because its hard to unhook the boat when it wants to slide off on a steeper launch. You hit a happy medium of slip and grip after a short while. Lasts about 1 year. I do it annually.

JDM

All you have to do is back the bunks all the way in to get them wet. I find that with my 18 ft deep V aluminum boat, I leave about 30% of the bunks out of the water, no matter the grade. With minimal power, I can drive the boat all the way up or within a foot. It is always straight as well. Another tip when unloading is to actually back your boat off of the bunks. It doesn't take much.

Bunks do a much better job of supporting your boat if you are a person who trailers a lot. Rollers can be hard on a heavy boat.

I do see a lot of people with rollers and bunks who really don't know what they are doing. They should watch how others do it to see what works and what doesn't.

davesfriend

Good point "JDM" I have a 175 sportfish witch may not be as heavy as some others but with a 125 2stroke and 9.9 fourstroke and 30 gallons of gas I am guessing it is pretty heavy. I have a roller trailer, and if not done correctly it will not stay on the trailer. Especially on steep launches. So far even on steep inclines I have not even had the motor running during landing. I have only had this boat about two months but have landed lots of times at all different landings. I bet that I could probabley land a boat on bunks with no problem. It stays where you put it. On mine it falls of immediatley. I guess it all depends on who teaches you to use your trailer....:)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Smoken!
    • smurfy
      so eyeguy.......you keep them? picklin material???????? to many bones for anything else!!!!   nice pictures.!!!!! how many line tangles already!!!😄
    • eyeguy 54
      Hello thursday
    • Smoker2
    • maxpower117
      No wake is in effect currently and will be for the weekend opener.  Spread the word. 
    • Pat McGraw
      I wouldn't read too much into the open water in Oak Narrows. There's been open water there for more than a month. There's clearly forces other than air temps or sunshine at work there. With that said, considering the data shared by delcecchi, and the current 15-day forecast I am not without hope.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Enforcement Division has promoted four officers – Chelsie Leuthardt, Brandon McGaw, Jen Mueller and Brett Oberg – to the position of regional training officer. They’ve been in their new positions since April 18.  The Enforcement Division’s six regional training officers are responsible for training the state’s conservation officers on topics such as defensive tactics, firearms and use of force. In addition, they train and work closely with the 6,000 volunteers who are integral to delivering the division’s education and safety training program. (The largest number of volunteers, about 4,000, are firearms safety instructors.) Regional training officers also spend a portion of their time performing the traditional field duties of a conservation officer. Following are brief bios of the newly promoted officers: Chelsie Leuthardt has been a conservation officer for four years and most recently patrolled the White Bear Lake area. “I’ve made strong connections with many instructor groups and look forward to working with them more closely,” said Leuthardt, whose area includes the southeastern part of the state. “I enjoy working with our user groups and helping to form how we train our next generations of outdoor enthusiasts.” Brandon McGaw has been a conservation officer since 2007. For most of that time, he’s been stationed in the Mora area. He’s also been a Conservation Officer Academy instructor, field training officer, firearms instructor and use of force instructor. “I really love teaching,” said McGaw, whose area includes 10 counties north of the metro. “I enjoy connecting with the students as well as the older adults who take safety training courses.” Jen Mueller began her career as a conservation officer in the Hutchinson-West station in 2012. Mueller, who was promoted after serving as an acting regional training officer, said she learned quickly that participating in the Enforcement Division’s youth safety programs was one of her favorite parts of the job. “I’m amazed by our volunteer instructor groups and how passionate they are about what they’re teaching,” said Mueller, whose area includes the southwestern part of the state. “I also enjoy teaching our officers and helping them become better equipped to deal with situations they may face in the field.” Brett Oberg has been a conservation officer for 13 years and spent much of that time in the Hutchinson-East station. He’s also been an armorer, field training officer and use of force instructor. “I really enjoy training others and seeing youth get excited about the outdoors, especially firearms and hunting,” said Oberg, whose area includes the south metro and south-central part of the state. “I also enjoy teaching at the Conservation Officer Academy and helping the new recruits become conservation officers.” The four officers join Regional Training Officer Mike Lee, who covers the northeastern part of the state, and Acting Regional Training Officer Greg Oldakowski, who is responsible for the northwestern part of the state. Bruce Lawrence is the Enforcement Division’s statewide recreational vehicle coordinator. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Calves mark successful introduction of Theodore Roosevelt National Park herd genetics With new bison calves expected at Minneopa State Park in the coming weeks and months, managers with the Department of Natural Resources Parks and Trails division are reminding visitors to keep calves’ safety in mind by remaining in their vehicles along the park’s popular bison range road.  “The bison cows are incredibly protective of their calves, and it’s tempting for park visitors to get out of their vehicles to take photos,” said Parks and Trails area supervisor Craig Beckman. “However, it’s important for people to remember to stay in their vehicles for the safety of these calves, their mothers and other park visitors.” The new additions are offspring of the bison bull that was introduced in December 2016. That’s significant, Beckman said, because the bison bull comes from Theodore Roosevelt National Park and possesses a genetic line that’s not well represented in the Minnesota Bison Conservation Herd. That genetic line will contribute to the herd’s overall genetic health and diversity. While Minneopa State Park is seeing its first successful additions to the herd, the bison herds at Blue Mounds State Park and the Minnesota Zoo are also seeing new calves this year. For visitors viewing the bison at state parks, patience can be rewarded. “Newborns need time for maternal bonding, and may be hard to see from the road for a while, but as they grow and mature, they become more visible,” Beckman said. “We tell visitors that they will be more likely to see the bison if they are patient and take it slow as they drive through the range.” Bison viewing tips: The bison drive begins near the campground off state Highway 68. A vehicle permit ($7/one-day or $35/year-round) is required to enter the park. Bison may be difficult to spot at times. Drive slowly and keep a watchful eye through the range. Remain inside vehicle while driving through the bison range. Bison should be given clearance of at least 75 feet from people and vehicles at all times. Dogs can make bison nervous, so pets must be kept on a leash while in the park and hiking around the bison range. Bison get nervous around loud noises or lots of activity, so keep voices down and movements to a minimum to help keep the bison within easy viewing. Hiking is not allowed inside the range, but there are hiking trails all the way around the outside of the range that can provide some fantastic views of the bison. The bison are part of the Minnesota Bison Conservation Herd, managed through a formal agreement between the DNR and Minnesota Zoo. The partners are working together to preserve American plains bison and plan to grow the herd at several locations, including Blue Mounds and Minneopa state parks and the Minnesota Zoo. The goal is a 500-animal herd at multiple locations. Genetic testing of the herd from 2011 to 2014 found them largely free of any genetic material that would have come from cross-breeding with cattle. Less than 1 percent of all American plains bison tested so far have been found free of cattle genes. Visitors at Minneopa can check the park website for updates on the bison herd and its new calves at mndnr.gov/Minneopa. The site also provides more information about the park, including a virtual tour. Minneopa State Park is located off U.S. Highway 169 and state Highway 68, 5 miles west of Mankato. The bison range road is open Thursday through Tuesday each week from 9am to 3:30pm. For more information about the Minnesota Bison Conservation Herd on the Minnesota Zoo website or visit mndnr.gov/bison. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has scheduled an auction of confiscated hunting and fishing equipment for Saturday, Aug. 4. The auction, which is open to the public, will include items from people who forfeited their equipment after committing serious game and fish violations. More than 200 firearms, over 40 bows, and a variety of other hunting and fishing-related equipment will be available.  The auction will be at Hiller Auction Service in Zimmerman. Public inspection of the items will be available in advance of the auction. All equipment will be sold as-is, including all defects or faults, known or unknown. Once they’ve been purchased, items cannot be returned. Background checks are required of anyone who purchases a firearm. Revenue from confiscated equipment auctions goes into the Game and Fish Fund, which is the DNR’s primary fund for delivering fish, wildlife and law enforcement programs. Details about the auction will be available as the date draws closer. For more information, see mndnr.gov/enforcement/auctions/index.html. A list of equipment to be auctioned will be posted online approximately one month in advance of the auction at www.hillerauction.com. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Some anglers go above and beyond to make fishing better in Minnesota by purchasing walleye stamps that help the Department of Natural Resources add walleye to lakes where there otherwise would be none.  “Buying a walleye stamp is a concrete way to help maintain fishing opportunities in Minnesota,” said Neil Vanderbosch, DNR fisheries program consultant. Funds from walleye stamps go toward the cost of purchasing 4- to 6-inch walleye called fingerlings from private fish farms for stocking into lakes. A walleye stamp is not required to fish for or keep walleye. Anglers with a fishing license can purchase the walleye stamp validation for $5, and for an extra 75 cents can have the pictorial stamp mailed to them. Walleye stamps can be purchased anywhere Minnesota fishing licenses are sold, online at mndnr.gov/buyalicense or by phone by calling 888-665-4236. Alternatively, anglers can download a form found at mndnr.gov/stamps and return it to the DNR to have the stamp mailed. The DNR raises and stocks walleye, but also buys walleye fingerlings from private producers to be stocked into lakes – walleye stamp sales help pay for these fish. Since 2009, funds from the walleye stamp have purchased over 40,000 pounds of walleye fingerlings that have been stocked in the fall, all over the state. Walleye fingerlings generally are stocked in lakes that do not have naturally reproducing walleye populations. A vast majority of the walleye Minnesota anglers catch come from waters where the fish reproduce naturally – about 260 larger walleye lakes and in large rivers. But because of stocking, walleye can be found in an additional 1,050 Minnesota lakes spread throughout the state. More information about habitat stamps can be found at mndnr.gov/stamps. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.