• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new Hunting dog

fisher

Just started the obedience class. My lab is 7 months, he is full of it, and he was very excited seeing all the other dogs. It helps to have a good instructor, they know all the tricks. The class is not just for the dog , it trains you too! My dog made progress by the end of the class, dont get frustrated, its a slow process.

I have a 8 week old yellow lab, hes been with us now for 3 days. He already knows his name, comes when call, sits when told, walks on left side. and sleeps the nights with no whining. I am very lucky i got a great pup from a great breeding.. Sire is Goldberrys cold drake,check it out online hes beautiful.. and dam is Baileys lu von blue. Windy Ridges Baliey's hunting drake is his full name, call name is Hunter. He for the second time has came to me whining and running back to my daughter and back to me, right before she has a seizure.. It might be just nothing but 2 times now? Who knows.. Dustin who i bought Hunter from, raised these pups since the dam passed away from problems with her c-section.. He did a super job.

Thanks for the family member Dustin..

Quote:

I have a 8 week old yellow lab, hes been with us now for 3 days.

He for the second time has came to me whining and running back to my daughter and back to me, right before she has a seizure.. It might be just nothing but 2 times now?

Thats pretty cool to hear!!!!

"Seizure-alert dogs, as implied by their name, are dogs that can sense and notify their human companions of an oncoming seizure. This alerting behavior has been reported to occur several seconds to 45 minutes or more before the onset of the seizure. The dog does this by exhibiting marked changes in behavior, including close eye contact, circling, pawing, barking etc."

I need to read more on this. I wanted this from the start hoping he would react to her, but i really thought they needed to be trained for this.. and Hunter just did it. He is only 8 weeks old, well almost 9 weeks now.. but can it be? isn't that a bit young? I will just wait and see so far he got all the ones she had while he was inside. It's just something, its a wondeful thing, and i am very happy he does.

The info I posted is just from an article I read after you posted that. Hopefully this continues for you!

Here is more from the article on epilepsy.com

Do a search for: Seizure-Alert Dogs--Just the Facts, Hold the Media Hype

"According to Deborah Dalziel, research coordinator for a University of Florida Veterinary Medicine study on seizure alert dogs, “There is this misconception that any seizure dog can be trained to alert, which just isn’t true. A dog can cue in on minute behavioral differences, but can't be trained to alert”. She points out that there are no scientific studies to support the many theories on how dogs detect an oncoming seizure. "What we know on how dogs can alert to a seizure before it occurs is still a mystery. From a scientific standpoint, there is still so much that remains to be determined," said Dr. Basim Uthman, Associate Professor of Neurology and Neuroscience at the University of Florida College of Medicine and Brain Institute.

In the 1998 study conducted by Dalziel,Uthman and colleagues, a qualitative questionnaire was completed by 63 epilepsy subjects. Of the 63 subjects, 29 owned pet dogs. Of the 29 subjects, nine reported that their dogs responded to a seizure. These dogs remained close to their human companions, either standing or lying alongside them, sometimes licking the person’s face or hands during and immediately after the seizure. Of the nine dogs reported to respond, three were reported to also alert their human companion to an impending seizure.

While the numbers of the study done at the University of Florida were too small to be conclusive, they did suggest that the dogs’ alerting behavior is not breed, age or gender specific. Also, the study indicated that the dog is more likely to alert to a person with a certain type of seizure; a person who experiences migraine headaches and a person who experiences certain types of auras."

I am searching more everyday on this, and from what i have read so far, your right, they just have it in them, and it isn't trained.

I also been reading about dogs knowing their owners have cancer as well, they sniff it out.

Thanks for all your help

Don't forget about the ones that can tell when a baby may be coming!! I still have a year or two to see what happens with that!! blush.gif

LOL Hemi let me know when that time comes..

I took Hunter out today just to more or less go walking in the woods.. I have my shotgun as well in case i saw any grouse.. Went down many gravel roads down fernburg, saw at lease 30 grouse on the road down snowbank. I didn't shoot any, and the reason was.. i am unsure if i should, hes 9 weeks, and having a great time, and i wasn't sure if i should fire off any shells, cause of him being so young..Is he to young?

my 11 week old did not take his eyes off the bird when I shot a 410 and then a 12 over him. but the say you should still start the the 22 and work your way it I don't rely see why.

I had my 410 today.. but i just didn't want to get him gun shy by doing it to early..Hes not scared at all of my quad and thats kind of loud.. so i don't know...I just wanted to get a bird and let him smell it, and use the feathers on a bumper.. I been hungry for grouse too. LOL

I did ask this one guy here in ely who has black lab kennels, and he said.."your a girl leave the hunting to us men".. LOL.. i grew up with 12 brothers, i can rebuilt a engine lol.. but its ok i do understand.

I heard some use paint ball markers to train as well in the beginning.. I have 3 of them as well.. I love to go paint balling lol..

anyone has any suggestions?

Quote:

but the say you should still start the the 22 and work your way it

And even with a 22 (or stater pistol) starting a little ways away and making sure the pup is distracted and having fun as you get closer.

Quote:

I don't rely see why.

Just food for thought and not singling you out, but for everyone in general. Have you ever seen a gun shy dog? Any ideas how it happens?

This can happen by shooting a gun over or close to the dog when it's never been introduced to them.

Now....many may get by fine with just going out and shooting over the dog with no intro (I don't recommend it), but the ones that don't (and end up with a gun shy dog) will then bash the breeder saying it's the dogs fault (when it's their own fault). Dogs are not born gun shy.

Are you really in that big of hurry to shoot over your dog (or 9-11 week old puppies shocked.gif) and risk your potential hunting partners career (or a LOT of time trying to fix it)? What do YOU gain by not properly introducing them to gunfire, because I don't see what they gain out of it?

Sorry if that comes across in a harsh tone....I just don't understand why someone would not take the time to do a proper introduction. confused.gif

Quote:

"your a girl leave the hunting to us men".. LOL.. i grew up with 12 brothers, i can rebuilt a engine lol.. but its ok i do understand

Kallista,

Actually for me this is not okay. To me that man's statement was backwards, closed minded and an insult to women. You would have been well within your rights to give him a good piece of your mind.

The outdoors, including hunting and fishing, is for everyone. There are women out there that can outshoot most men and also know quite a bit about hunting. It doesn't sound like that man's statement is going to phase you at all but if it bothered you don't let it get you down. You keep going and learning. You are doing something that I hope my girls will do when they get older.

gspman

I echo the same thoughts.

As far as the gun introduction I wouldn't rush into anything. There is no reason not to properly introduce your pup to the shotgun. Patience is a key ingredient in all training. The tips for gun introduction have been noted many times before. Use the advice. My new setter (14 months) is by far them most skittish, timid dog I've ever owned. Stomp your feet, drop a pan on the floor, etc. and he darn near goes running. However, you fire the shotgun and to him it is the greatest thing in the world. Absolutely loves the sound of a shotgun. Why? I can only attribute that to proper gun introduction. I've trained dogs before, but I still used this forum for advice, new tips and just plain old reminders of the basics. Good luck and have fun!

Quote:

LOL Hemi let me know when that time comes..

I took Hunter out today just to more or less go walking in the woods.. I have my shotgun as well in case i saw any grouse.. Went down many gravel roads down fernburg, saw at lease 30 grouse on the road down snowbank. I didn't shoot any, and the reason was.. i am unsure if i should, hes 9 weeks, and having a great time, and i wasn't sure if i should fire off any shells, cause of him being so young..Is he to young?

I have a 10 week/11week puppy and I have will not shoot near her for another couple months after more training and shooting with a starters pistol.

I started 20 yards out with the 410 my 11 week out lab did not think any thing of it. but he was playing with a live bob white. Then we did the 12 and the bob some thing I just dont see what so bad about this. Im going to look in pointing lab to see what she thinks. also I cant use a starting pistle in down town st. paul where I live so this make it hard.

Hunter is a pointing lab..

My inner senses told me not to so i didn't , and i am very happy i listen to them for once LOL

But if unsure don't do it, i think when it comes to your buddy. Besides theres so much more to training before that.. but we all get excited, and we all want the best bird dog, and sometimes over training or to much just pushes the dog over the edge.. i have 12 years plus with my yellow lab, we have time.. till then i go and fetch my own birds like i used to do.. but now i know i have a tail wagging for me when i walk in that door till the time comes when i know for sure hes ready.. And no it didn't bother me.. i just laugh about it.. life's to short to worry about that sort of thing.. i don't care what others think.. i just mind my own.

Oh btw i did get that 4 wheeler from Artic cat as well..

I have it all now.. my gun, 4 wheeler and my dog..

thanks for all your advice. i am sure i will have lots more to come