• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new Hunting dog

fisher

I just got my first hunting dog his name is luca. He is 7 weeks Old. Im looking for good books and DVDs to start the training. I know that there are lots of people out there that have trained dogs and I need your help. also Im feeding him diamond dog food how much should I be giving him? I trying to keep him in a kennel at night and when were not home for a wail tell he will go out side to pee but he just crys all night is there any way to help this?

thanks

Jeff Krop

what breed is he? Be sure to take it slow at first. The first thing you want to teach him is his name.

the crying at night will get better as time goes on. He is just missing his mom and litter mates. One thing we have done with our pups is to put a radio out with them, sometimes just the noise helps to put them at ease when they are all alone.

I would like to post some Pics but I don't Know how can Anyone help with this

First you need to upload the pics onto a hosting site like photobucket.

Then I usually open up two browser windows - one on this site and the other on photobucket.

Then highlight and copy the direct link code on photobucket.

On the FM site click on the "Image" by the Font Color and a popup box will come up. Paste your copied link into that box and click OK.

Then you should be able to post and the pic should come up.

my best trick ever to stop the whining is to take a old 2-3 liter pop bottle and fill it full of hot water..wrap it in a towel and put it in his kennel with him. He'll snuggle up to that thing as tight as he can get. you might have to refill it with warm water a few times through the night but in a few days he'll realize as the water cools off that he's still alright.

p.s. if you can find a small old school alarm clock that ticks every second, wrap that in the towel with the water bottle.

simple way to imitate his mothers warmth and her heart beat.

just my 0.02

Get the book: "Training the Pointing Labrador" by Julie Knutson

Don't let the name of the book fool you....this is a good book for all retrievers. Just do a search for the name as it's only offered on the authors site.

I second the book by Knuteson. It's a very straight forward and simple training book, and 311Hemi is right about it being for all labs. I read all the Wolters books, Lamb, and this one was the best.

anyone ever used Butch Goodwin’s Retrievers From The Inside Out? There was a mention in outdoor life this month.

Quote:

I second the book by Knuteson. It's a very straight forward and simple training book, and 311Hemi is right about it being for all labs. I read all the Wolters books, Lamb, and this one was the best.

And this book was just updated/completed a few months ago, where as Wolters and the rest were written many years ago. Not taking away anything from Wolters books, they are good reads.....I just think this new book gives trainers a lot of detailed info to train from puppy to well beyond where some will go with their retriever. And it does so with a little different perspective (getting the trainer to think like a dog).

From a another board:

Quote:

It's sad to say that the pointing side is going to scare a lot of people off, because this is one of the best retriever training books that I've ever read. I'd highly recommend it to any retriever trainer, whether you have a pointer or not. If you truly want to become a better trainer, you have to learn how to think like a dog, and she teaches you how to do that. The book will make YOU think, how many dog training books do that?

Ok I'm going to get that book. But in the mean time I have lots of questions for you all.

1 the pup has been with me for 3 days he don't respond to his name vary well and I have been saying it to him 100 times a day.

2 is the puppy biting Ok? if not how do I stop it?

3 Am I just worrying for no reason I'm stressed about the fact that I'm trying to train a hunting dog. That will be with me for a long time. I hear to many story's about people that don't spend the time and ask the right questions. Then end up with dogs that are unable to hunt.

thanks for all you help

Jeff Krop

Mike Lardy's videos and training manuals are great teaching tools. They show how to do the drills and also the progression for training your retriever. His track record is second to none.

Fisher,

Slow down and take a deep breath! grin.gif You got a long time to work with your pup!!! Don't expect too much too quick or you will be in bigger trouble than the guys you speak of. Take every thing one step at a time. When your dog masters one thing move onto the next. Slow down and have some fun... let the pup have some fun too! Get him to be your buddy and want to tag along every where with you... let him investigate things over the next couple weeks. Take him for walks in the meadows and woods... let him swim in some warm shallow water, go in with him.

As far as his name or any other drill, he will pick it up. At 7 weeks, he's just getting used to his new surroundings and who you are. Let him get comfy. The puppy biting thing is also going to take some time. Don't instigate to much rough housing or you will only bring it out more. Over the next couple weeks correct him if he bites. Don't worry too much about hunting training right now. The next 4 months will be mostly obedience drills with some introduction to hunting skills thrown in.

Get at least 2 or 3 books and / or videos and read or watch them to get a grasp of training and a protocol to set some goals. Once you understand a series of training regimens and you begin to see your dog pick each series up, things will progress smoothly.

Remember he is a pup! He's gotta crawl before he can walk and he's gotta walk before he can run. Take your time and polish up each level before moving to the next and you will have the dog you desire!

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree with Labs.....you have had this pup 3 days....no need to worry. Take a deep breath..relax...and enjoy the little one. The rest will come with time.

A few notes:

- He is a pup....let him enjoy it. Get him out for some walks in fields, grasses, woods. I would do this daily. No words...no leash...just let him follow and explore with you. Stay away from dog parks.

- Take him where ever you can and let everyone hold him. Get him socialized with as many people as possible.

- His name will come...just give it time.

- You can correct for him biting by just holding his mouth shut lightly and saying no. This pup is very young so this will take time for him to begin to understand it. No tug of war.

- Don't worry about much of any training besides potty training and crate training. You will have plenty of time soon enough to start basic OB. I personally don't start thinking about more formal OB until around 6month. Sit and come and some others can be started earlier. Potty and crate training should be the focus right now.

I'll 2nd what Labs and 311 stated. Remember he's still just a puppy-puppy. Patience is everything.

ill second these fellas too!

just remember what ever you do do be consistent, and like everybody else said He's only a puppy once so enjoy it and let him enjoy too.

I picked up a 7 week British Labrador last December, like you, I was new at training a Lab. Friends at work recommended the Wolter books. I followed that book pretty closley, it gives you training exercises from 7 weeks onward. Tells you what to expect from your dog at each level. The book took alot of confusion out of training for me. At 10 month's old now, I couldn't be happier with the results, she's truly a remarkable dog. As always, great advice from everyone on here, I'll have to pick up "The Training the Pointing Labrador" book also. If you are interested in the Wolter's books, let me know, they're yours.

Wormdrowner

I could use all the help I can get if you are will to pass them books on it would be great. I would use them and then do the same for someone else

Email Me

[email protected]

thanks

Jeff

Quote:

Wormdrowner

I could use all the help I can get if you are will to pass them books on it would be great. I would use them and then do the same for someone else

Email Me

thanks

Jeff

Library also has some of these book...and video. Just don't do like I did and forget to return them and rack up a LARGE overdue fine!! blush.gifmad.gif

My black lab pup is 12 weeks old now and there will be lots of frustrating moments, but like everyone has said "patience is the key". Its like the old saying "2 steps forward and one step back". Remember to use one word commands and stay consistent. Sign up for an obedience class with your pup. My whole family goes. The one we signed up for is 8 sessions, once a week and it cost us $60.

FYI- biting for lab pups is pretty normal and ours still likes to do it occasionally at 12 weeks.

Nels

My yellow is 6 months and I've had the same concerns. I have to say with age she is getting better about listening. One of the main points stressed in Game Dog by Wolters - SIT - STAY - COME, have those down first, then move on. I saw it for sale used online from one of the big bookstores for around 9$ if anyone else recommends it.

This is my first pup and had all the same questions. The guys here know there stuff and have had my ears open!

The pup is now 6 months old and she has come a long way. The biggest thing I read over and over was be consistent with your training. You have to enforce the consistency and don't give up. A puupy is a dog no matter how cute it looks.

My wife allowed the pup to do things earlier that she nows sees was stupid. Hoever the pup thinks it can do the things it isn't suppose to because my wife allowed it to. Don't make that mistake smile.gif

Hope you are enjoying the pup. I didn't know how much work my pup would be, but it has been worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the puppy biting what i would did was let him chew on my hands Then when he would bite too hard, I would also whine telling him "ouch that hurts" (in dog talk) then say "No" when he chews softer "Good boy soft bite", I would fold his lips on to his own teeth and sqeeze a little bit. If he bite really hard I would sqeeze back a little harder.

Training the Pointing Labrador is the best book you can get for training dogs. this book has it all. I got it yesterday and I have read 100 pages. I started today with the walk I think it will work good thanks 311hemi

Thanks for the tips on the pointing lab book I'll pick that up as well. I am preparing for a new pup as my current one is on her last legs so to speak.

One tip on the dog food, I fed my lab diamond for a few years and than I found that my dog was having an allergic reaction to it. She always licked her belly till there was no hair left. I switched to a different brand and problem solved. Probably not a problem for you but just in case... The gal at the pet store said it was somewhat common due to one of the ingredients in Diamond. For what its worth.

I'll also add to relax and enjoy your pup. I did all kinds of stuff wrong with my dog and she still turned out to be a great hunter. I purchased her my last year in college and didn't start training her using the Wolters method till she was almost 2 blush.gif

Quote:

The gal at the pet store said it was somewhat common due to one of the ingredients in Diamond.

I don't feed Diamond...but just thought that I would mention that it is entirely dependent on the dog as far as food allergies go. Each dog can thrive (or not) on different foods, and I don't think you can point out one brand that causes more allergies than others.

Fair enough and I am certainly not an expert! Maybe the gal at the pet food store wasn't either. She did point out one of the ingredients on the bag and I wish I could remember what it was so I could pass that along but that was a few years ago and I just made sure to look for it when I was looking at different brands.

My first try was to switch her over to the lamb and rice still by diamond. That didn't help so I went to a different brand and that worked.

Nor am I.....but have done a decent amount of reading on it as my dog has some allergies so I thought I would throw it out there. Some people get upset when others say something bad about the food they feed!!! shocked.gifsmirk.gif

The most common foods that dogs have reactions to are: beef, dairy products, chicken, wheat, chicken eggs, corn, and soy.

The Lamb and Rice you switched to most likely contains the these other products which were affecting you dog. That is where you may try going wit a holistic feed which does not include these ingrediants.