• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow mount versus Transom mount trolling motor

IndyEFI500

Question

Looking for thoughts and opinions of which would be better. I currently have a 36 pound transom mount and was thinking of going bow mount. I have a guy that want's to trade me a 28 pound bow mount even up. I had been thinking of going to a 40 pound since the 36 seems weak on how it moves my boat. I have just a small Lund S14. Not terribly big but I pretty much have to run the motor 3 out of 5 to keep control and move at 1MPH. He thinks the 28 would be better since it should be easier to pull the boat than push. Any thoughts or words of wisdom.

8 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Both Minkotas? I'd take the bow mount. Sounds like the transom mount doesn't have maximizer either. 28 lbs is plenty and should move your 14'er just fine. Yes pulling a light boat is better, main reason is its steering the bow and pulling at the same time. In a wind its night and day difference.

Another huge plus is you can get the battery out of the stern and into the bow. That weight transfer on a small boat will get you on plane faster and increase your top end.

I've got a pretty barebones 16' crestliner with a 30# transome minkota and a 28# bow minkota the bow out preforms the transome,I'd swear the bow is almost twice the power!my transome is also the 5 speed,was out yesterday and only used it to keep a drift going on a edge,if I had a troll destination it would be the bow!

The 36 is the Minnkota Turbo model. It is a decent enough rig but I spend most of my time watching it and with two small kids, that is a pain. I haven't seen what he wants to trade yet. it will have to be foot operated so I can run it from the back of the boat before I'll take him up on it.

I much prefer a bow over a transom motor. The 28 pounds will cut it on a calm day but if you like fishing for more than a few hours even when its windy or in current you might run into battery life problems. Ive got a 14' lund with a 25hp and a 40lb bowmount and there are times when Ive got to run the speed pretty high to hold my location in the wind. I dont know if a 28 would cut it at those times.

How old is the 28lb? Its probably an old model... Make sure you check shaft length. You will probably want a 48" (42" might cut it).

I would probably keep an eye out for bow mount with more power and keep the transom.

I'm too lazy to move from the back seat to the front to control a bow mount. Transom for me. Try removing the screw holding the head of the motor to the shaft and rotating it 180 degrees. (put the screw back). This way, you can backtroll with the motor running forwards. Much more efficient. I have a 27# M-K on my 14'. Works fine. There's only been a couple of days I wished I had a bow mount. (Trying to work docks in the wind.)

BOW MOUNT! I have a 14' too.. and finally upgrading from a transom mount to a bow mount trolling motor totally changed the way I fish.. all for the better!.. and now I am always up front.. you have MUCH more control in winds (windy this summer).. and you go faster for the poundage.. and you go straighter.. and I cannot tell you how much better foot control is while fishing vs. hand control... can't fish while you are fussing with the motor with your arm!

I can't emphasize how much this improved my fishing experience... I think it will even delay my buying a 'bass boat' for a few more years...

See these pix.. very stable too. I only go in back to make major moves. I got a 40# and it's great.. but it's more than necessary... I can go 3.5MPH..

If you have any questions... post here and I'll reply soon!

bm1.jpg

bm3.jpg

I bought a bow mount with Auto Pilot. Now THAT is the ticket! Truly is like having another person running the motor.

Any Minn Kota with power drive will allow you to run the bow mount from the back if you wish. My old boat had this setup and it was nice since all of my electronics were in the back. Only had to go up front to raise or lower the motor if I was alone. Sometimes hard to see which way it was pointed when someone else was up front however.

Yep.. when I have a guest sitting up front.. I bring the GPS and pedal to the back and control it from there. The sonar (in my small boat) is STILL close enough to be fairly useful.. smile.gif