• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lightweight Duck Boats

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with or could recommend a lightweight duckboat. I typically go hunting by myself on smaller lakes / sloughs. I would like to transport the boat on top of my car or minivan, so weight is an issue. Something I could put on and off myself (38 yrs old, decent shape) I suppose I could put on a hitch and lightweight trailer if necessary. FWIW, I have a canoe and have hunted out of it, but would like something a little more stable. I have looked at the Herters and Otter boats on-line and they seem to fit the bill. Any feedback? Also, I would like to have an option of bringing a second person along or maybe a dog- so a little extra room / capacity is desired.

Has anyone else looked for the same thing as I am or currently have a set up like this? I appreciate any feedback or insights you could provide. THANKS in advance!!!

I've owned a Carsten Pintail for some years and it's a nice duck boat. It's about 125lbs or so...if you want to call that lightweight. I can load it onto a vehicle with roof racks to slide it and secure it.

They are very stable, and I always hunt with my lab and several trips with another person with the dog/decoys/gear. It's a tight fit, but it works..

I have never used one of the Otter boats, but I've seen them up close and they seem just as stable and roomy as my Carsten.

I don't think you will regret this boat purchase at all...I love mine over a canoe any day. I found that using a kayak paddle is best in these low profile duck boats.

I just purchased an otter stealth 2000. It is icredibly stable and easy to drag, but i dont think i could lift it up onto the top of a mini van. I haul it in the back of my pick-up and have no problem leaning it up there and sliding it in. I still have not hunted it, but i plan on hunting two people and a dog once in a while. I am not sure if the 1200 in any lighter, but that would be a good option if it was just you and another person or just you and a dog. The reason i liked the 2000 more is you can sit sideways in it to shoot since it is wider then the 1200. Personally if i was going to be lifting it up instead of just sliding it into my pick-up i would look for something else, but if you are willing to put up with a little more weight the boat is awsome! So stable you could dance in it, can float in 4-5 inches of water, moves through the water as good as a canoe in my opinion.

We have two Carsten Puddlers, only ***EDIT*** 10' (not 8') long and you could (fairly) easily put it on top of minivan by yourself. We load two of them in back of short box pickup easy. About 70# I think.

They are great! The ony thing you may not like, is you pretty much want to wear waders as your but can get wet if you get in and out much. But it allows us much more access, and very easy to drag, even with 2 dozen+ dekes and gun and shells in it.

Also, you can get it cheaper than the price you see in catalogues, etc. if you know where to look, and are in MN and willing to drive. Same with Otter boats, actually. I talked to guys with Otters and they really like them. But I love my Puddler smile.gif Might even get another... for my Grandson.

The Otter boats are great, I don't think I've ever felt so safe in a boat before. They are incredibly stable!! Maybe a tad bit heavy though to put on the roof of a vehicle alone.

There are a lot of companies that make lightweight duck boats now- Carstens, MoMarsh, Mighty Layout Boys, 4 Rivers Layout Boats among others I can't recall right now.

You also can't rule out the trusty old jon boat.

To pricey for me but the poke boat might be worth a look. For a single hunter it looks like the orignal poke boat would be ideal. It weighs 28 lbs in fiberglass, 22 lbs in kevlar, and 18 lbs in carbon fiber. The problem is the fiberglass costs 2,000 the kevlar is 2500 and the carbon fiber is 3600. To much for me but it sure would be nice to have a 12' boat that is more stable than a canoe and weighs less than thirty lbs.

I am actually planing on building a 7 foot "dingy". I have plans and tools, so now I need time. I will use 1/4" plywood and fiberglass it. It should have a final weight under 100 pounds, and I can put that on my cars roof solo. I am also contemplating using an old 15hp Johnson for the lakes I can motor on, but need to check the USCG recommendations of HP for a small boat. It will have a price tag under $300, maybe under $200 depending on wood prices and if my tools are all able to handle sanding fiberglass.

I have a Gheenoe, and it is a great boat for 1-2 hunters, a dog, and dekes. It is incredibly stable. I have had 2 hunters standing to shoot, and my dog going over the side to make a retrieve at the same time. Only problem is that they are a little heavy for car topping, at over 100 lbs. I used to carry it on the top of my pick up, but now just slide it in. It is also very low profile, and you can paddle, row or put a small motor on it.

Hope this helps,

dukhntr

Thanks for all of your responses and GREAT ideas! I certainly appreciate this bulletin board as a resource.

What about some sort of stabilizers for your canoe? Might be worth a look & much less money.

Just a thought.