• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I’m going to be on Shagawa for the first time Aug. 31st – Sep. 4th. I’m looking for any information that you can give me about the lake. How is the fishing been, (walleye especially,) on the lake? Is this a good time to fish the lake? Where and at what depths should I fish? If we have no luck on Shagawa, where would you suggest that I go in the area to find some fish? All the help is appreciated! Fish on!

CyHawk, welcome to FM. Great to have you here. Believe it or not, in the four-plus years since moving here, the only times I fish Shag have been in ice season, so I'm no help on this one. But Great Outdoors and a couple others probably will chime in with some useful info. What resort you staying at?

How come you don’t fish it in the boat’n time? I assume it is a good ice fishing lake then? I’m staying at Shagawa Inn.

Well, I'm mostly a lake trout guy, and I spend most of my open water season on Burntside after lakers, with an occasional side trip to Vermilion for muskies. I target walleye and pike (sometimes on Shagawa, sometimes on Birch) on early ice only until winter laker season opens in January and then switch to lakers.

Cyhawk,

I am headed up there tomorrow (18-23rd) and will let you know what I learn and also will keep my ears open for any other hot-spots.

CyHawk

Shagawa is a very good fishing lake, but walleye have been slow. They have been taking some very nice (if that's possible)Bass and Northern lately.

I'll have a better handle on the walleye situation tomorrow and get back to you.

Stay flexible. If the walleye aren't biting try for something else.

I was there a couple weeks ago and did very well on NICE (yes, thats possible G/O grin.gif) northerns and some bass. Find some weeds for the pike. Suckers and bobbers if you don't mind sitting still. Throw big baits if you're searching. Keep an eye out for surface activity.

I like the idea of topwater baits for smallies. The big ones anyway. Besides its just more fun that way! Prop baits and PopRs.

The sunsets, the islands, the loons.... I dig that lake. Just watch out for the floatplanes!!!!!

Never fear... "The Fish Master" is here!!! grin.gif

I am getting my new boat on Wednesday and I will be out there doing some recon later in the week.

Being out on Shag early in the morning or late evening has been my key to success out there.

Later,

Justin

Oh yeah,

The key to your success!! wink.gifcrazy.gif

I do not consider a Kipper Snack or a coupla rock bass very successful!! smile.gif

But then again, for you.... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Well, I guess every locker room has an old sweaty jock strap laying around, just waiting for the right moment to pounce! In my case, I have the Great Outdoors! grin.gif

Justin

Great Outdoors

Did you find out anything else on the Walleye front? Sounds like if they don't heat up in the next couple of weeks that there are plenty of Northern and Bass to catch which is fine. Keep me posted on whats hot and where. Thanks!

We fished Shagawa the 25th-28th and had no difficulties finding Walleye with Smallies filling the void in between, the highlight of the trip was when the wife had one smallie that was ~3lbs. up to the boat and the biggest freaking Musky I have ever scene decided to make it dinner. She was able to coax it to the boat 3 time and had it on for a few minutes before it decided to show her who was in charge and broke the line. This thing was a MONSTER!!! at least 60" and would have easily hit the mid 40-50lb mark!!!

I would suggest if you can find larger leaches in your area to bring some up with you becuse they are non exisistent at all the Ely bait shops, they do have the smaller "Lake Run" but nothing of any size.

That's great news! Sounds like you had a great time with a bit of unexpected excitement. Thank you for the tip on the leaches. Anyone else have any luck lately? I'll be up there on Friday.

Can't wait!

A 60 inch Muskie in Shags? I thought Jackpine Bob told that story in his final April Fools edition of the Echo.

Now there are some big pike in there that would attack a smallie, but 60 inches? 40-50 lbs?

Dude, that's a good one.

Leaky,

There are Muskies in Shagawa in very small numbers. Some guy caught one out there a few years ago and it was over 25 lbs. They figured some Muskies escaped from a DNR rearing pond a few years back during a flood.

Justin

Yep, I caught one about 10 pounds last year. It was mixed in with all the pike. Kinda suprised me.

Justin, it was last summer, I believe, and tipped the scales at about 35 pounds. I put a pic of it and a story in the paper. Justin is right on the rearing ponds. DNR figures some got out and made their way downriver into Shag, and I'd suspect that's happened more than once. I also expect Leaky knows that, it's just the size of the fish in the report that's a big fish pill to swallow. Not saying it's not true, just that it's a he!! of a big fish story. grin.gif

The fish a couple autumns ago on Vermilion that probably nudged the 54-lb state record (released after length and girth measurements were taken) was about 54 inches, so a 60 inch muskie in Shag would be something phenomenal.

That being said, it's certainly possible enough muskies over the years have made their way to Shag that some breeding could be going on. Interesting thing to speculate on, eh?

Yeah, I'll speculate!

I'll speculate that I'll be looking for that submarine every time I'm out there now! blush.gif

In fishing stories I just say the fish made a 60" or 50# impact on the teller! If there's already been a 35 caught, well there could be another +/- 5#. An unexpected 40 would blow my socks off!!!

Anybody want to trade a lot on the Kiwishiwi for one on Shag???? grin.gif

P.S. Tiny leeches don't spur the confidence much, but in my experience up there, you don't need jumbos. Mediums have worked all right. JMO

Well, there is a thunderstorm going on here right now!!!! Gosh, its been a long time since it has rained a fair amount here. I can almost hear the grass growing again!

I suppose it is safe to assume the walleyes will have their noses stuck down in the rocks for the next 24 hours. The boat is all fixed up, the wife is out of town this weekend, and I've got 3 dozen crawlers, 2 dozen leeches, and a dozen ciscoes in the fridge as we speak. I think I will be heading out to Shags this weekend after work! grin.gif

Justin

The fish was caught not last fall but the fall prior. I viewed the musky at the local bait shop hanging on the wall last fall prior to these guys getting back in town to pick the mount up the following week. Guy on the right caught the fish and the one on the left fell half way out of the boat trying to net same. Locals from my neck of the woods.

Dave

TimHartsel-Muskie-Shagawa.jpg

Yup, that was the fish caught on Shagawa that I read about in the newspaper. They are out there.....

Justin

The pilots from the Forest Service were standing on the dock and watched the guy flop out of the boat but his leg was stuck in the seat. Guy with the fish on had to hold the rod in one hand, and yank the guy with the net back in. They're still laughing grin.gif

Yep, that's the fish. There goes my ole memory again. The years fly by and what I think was last year was really the year before. It won't be long now until I'm as bad as Great Outdoors, telling lies about how big all the fish I caught were and how they all happened yesterday.

I'm gonna slip my boat into Shagawa this year and try for some Walleyes. These guys do pretty good for them on this lake. They have many years experience on this lake. Keep hearing something about a Fish fry smirk.gif

This year though I will be bringing my Musky lure box and wing a few out there. If anything to get the dust off them as they have been left at home the last couple of years.

Can someone tell me the location of a public launch on this lake with ample parking ?

Dave

Zoot, the best public access is just east of Grand Ely Lodge on the same road. Coming into town on 169 from the west, turn left at the first stoplight. A few block up, the road will make a broad curve to the right and Grand Ely Lodge will be on your left up just a little ways. The boat landing also is on the left not far past the lodge, and has the usual sign. They just rebuilt the whole landing and paved a big parking area there.

Not to hijack this thread but speaking of big muskies, I saw a 15 yr old kid caught a 55 incher recently on Vermillion. It was in last weeks Outdoor News. What a fish!

Yeah, I gotta think the next state record's coming out of V or Mille Lacs. Probably from a fall trolling outing when they're jammed to the gills with whitefish.

Serious guys I do get out fishing for Musky a few times a year and my biggest was 48" and have been in a boat were a 52" was caught so I do have a pretty good idea on the size of these fish, and this thing was a freaking MONSTER. The thing that totally had me in awe was the girth on it, it easily would have doubled the 48" that I caught. I stood there with the knees shaking and gave the wife a "holy sh*t hun you have the biggest fish that I have ever scene in my life on the line", I thought something was wrong with it at first because it seemed kind of lethargic when it allowed her to pull it to the boat a few times but on the third try it showed the true Musky form and gave us both a face full of water and then the line snapped. Probably all for the better due too the fact I knew it wasn't going to fit in our butterfly net and I was pondering if I had large enough cahonees to put my hand down there and try to "gill" it.

Even though we don't have the fish we do have a really cool adventure and story we will always be able to share, and trust me when I say next year I am bringing the heavy artillery with and will cast till my arm falls off to even get a follow out of that thing.

Hit shags 2 hrs last night on aug 29th. One 19 inch eye and 2 smaller ones im guessing about 15-17 iches fell off at the side of the boat. All on a ratl'n rap in 1 1/2-4 feet of water. windy sides of island on the tips of bars and points