• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm heading up to Rush Lake this weekend to go bass fishing confused.gifwith a friend that lives north of Rush City. I've fished a couple of bass tournaments on Rush Lake in the past 3 years, I've never done well on this lake. I normally focus on West Rush, around the islands and some of the dropoffs. Any ideas on how to catch some decent bass on Rush? Thanks.

Generally... Shallow, and then fish shallower! If you can find some green weeds you might find some better fish.. I had a tournament out there a few weeks ago and weighed 13 lbs for 5 fish... all caught on a jig pig in about 5 feet of water.

Thanks for the info, Dietz. Can you tell me what areas in particular you fished, i.e. West Rush, islands, etc. Thanks again. smile.gif

caught fish in both lakes, I spent more of my time in East, but again... caught fish in both lakes... Pretty much kept to shorline stuff, and again, looked for any green weeds I could find. The pattern may have changed however!

Dietz, was that the Extreem Bass tourney? I saw quite a few tourney guys and a girl flippin docks on West and never saw a fish caught. The water was very warm and scummy but it is clearing up with this cooler weather and rain. I bet they are going to be moving around.

Ferny.

The water is horribly green like pea soup again!

Here I thought it would be clearing up soon.

Saw another tourney out there saturday.

Ferny

Try a weightless tube in shallow. Late in the day or early morning is best. Deitz is right go shallow. The only way you can go to shallow is to go on shore. Try finding an inside edge with a hard bottom with sand or glory be some rock or rubble then just keep after it. Once the cooler temps start getting rid of the scum switch to big willow leaf spinner baits and buzz baits around reeds not cattails. The cattails have never held as many bass for me as the reeds. Sand bottom rather than a muck bottom I'd guess. Rush in spring and fall is a good bass lake. In the summer I'd rather fish a lake that doesn't skunk up so bad. It doesn't give up bass as willingly in the summer but still has good bass in it just a bit more work to get 'em going. Have had days on the lake that are just to easy and days when I'd have better luck fishing in my toilet. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though. Rush wouldn't be my first choice for fishing for anything in mid summer.

• 1 month later...

I've fished Rush a few times in the past couple of weeks. First of all, there are HUGE bass in Rush! I've caught some very nice fish using topwater baits in and around lily pads recently. But, the biggest fish seem to be under the (I don't know what it's called) green film in shallow water near lily pads. This "film" looks like tiny clovers when you pull it off your bait. It's bright green and starts from the shore line goes out about as far as the pads do. I've been pulling a Sizmic or Ribit frog over the top of this stuff and big bass have been attacking it! The only down side to this is that only about every other fish actually hits the bait, the others miss it...sometimes by as much as a foot or more. I had one fish (this was near some reeds on West) that jumped 2-3 feet strait out of the water at my frog but missed it by over a foot. This fish jumped strait, never even wagged its tail in the air and landed back in the water tail first...weird but cool. Anyway, Dietz is right about shallow water...if you think you are too shallow, you can fish even shallower! Some guys I fished in a tournament against on Rush this year caught most of their fish in 6 inches of water. They said they were actually seeing the dorsal fin out of the water and sight fishing them. Anyone who has fished Rush knows that sight fishing isn't really an option because you can only see down about a foot at most in the summer.

I wanna get back on this lake... But I need to just find the time... Excellent bass, crappie, buffalo, and walleye fishery by the way.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.