• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

arrow enters target at an angle

mrjigger

I know, I know, I should have started shooting my bow along time ago, but I just started shooting again on Sunday night. Just never seemed to find the time in between family obligations. Anyway, I have noticed that my arrows are entering the target at an angle instead of going straight in. Accuracy is good however. Is this a form issue? Any Thoughts?

Your bow could be out of tune. It could be a hard spot in the target... quite a number of things.

You can still get good "accuracy" if it is out of tune. However in the woods you probably want the arrow flying as straight as possible so you have less possiblity of deflections.

Take a few minutes to tune your bow.

Yep, sounds like your bow is slightly out of tune, possibly that your nock/string and your sight are out of line slightly. Where is the fletching located compared to your field point? A paper test at your archery shop will also show it.

When your bow is that out of tune, a broadhead (which is now engaged in steering the arrow) can take your flight way off course.

Mr... take an old picture frame 8-11" and put a normal piece of paper in it... NOT NEWS PAPER!!! and shoot through it(make sure you will still hit your target. Frame should be about 5 feet in front of target and about 10 feet from you. If your punching bullet holes, its your target, many targets will kick an arrow... Paper tune is the way to go.

Could be hand torque as well. I would paper tune first though just to make sure it is not a tuning issue.

Do they all fly that way or is it just a few out of let's say a dozen or so?

Exactly, what type of rest do you have? If it is not centered it will tail either left or right depending on which way it is set to far from riser or to close, hand torque will have the same effect. The sight has absolutely nothing to do with it.

did the paper test, arrow went straight through and hit target. I am thinking it is just my block target. Didn't notice it happening last year though. But it is getting kind of old, had many arrows hit it. It definitely is not stopping the arrows as quickly as it used to. I think it is just the target though. thanks for the tips.

I have a Arrow brake bag target and some arrows will hit at an angle due to so many shots in the bag. Normal for my target. I have also checked with paper tuning and my arrows hit fine.

Must be the target.

is it left and right angle or up and down? or all of them? left and right only is your rest. i thought my bow was out of tune this spring but it was really my quick spin vanes on my whiskerbisket rest. i glued them on and i didnt get them exactly perfect. another good way to see how your arrow is flying is with a luminok. at dusk. hope everything works out for you.