• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Why the Twins Stink?

Flash

Here is the combined stats for five of nine in the lineup last night for the months of July and August. They include Bartlett, Punto, Tyner, White and Casilla.

Avg. AB Runs Hits HR RBI

.234 401 43 94 2 22

These are the combined stats for all five. Sad thing is these guys are in the lineup every day. I love to watch baseball a lot but I cannot even stand to watch them play.

Nice summary.

Exactly right.

Although now we must bash you, like Santana, for pointing this out, you communist, Bonds-loving defeatist! tongue.gif I've loved this team since I was carrying around my orange AM radio on the handlebars on my bike but this is one of the most frustrating seasons I can recall. If I have to watch Punto come up in a one more critical late-inning situation...or worse, watch L-Rod come off the bench to hit for him...makes my butt pucker to watch...

Quote:

makes my butt pucker to watch...

At least your still watching...no tar and feathers for you...YET.... grin.gif

I've watched some realy bad Twins teams over the years. This one is not even close to the worst, but our expectations are so much higher now that this is probably the most frustrating I can recall. But I still watch...

Back in the early 80s a local radio station had a "Put a bag on your head" night at the dome. Anyone remember this? It may be time again.

Sports only provide entertainment, no product, no substance but entertainment. The Twins seem to be keeping a lot of people entertained even though not meeting the expectations of some. shocked.gif

I didn't realize the twins stink. I thought that smell was coming from the guy in the row behind me who ate 4 dome dogs before the 2nd inning. tongue.gif

Nobody makes you watch . Its frustrating but my opinion is you gotta take the good with the bad . I hear the Yankee bandwagon always has room , if you need a team thats always going to be good , but me ... I'm a Twins Fan - even when they aren't playing well . If you get sick watching the Twins , turn em off . I wish I could get a game now and then but I live in Wi. and only get them when its national but I get them on the radio and rarely miss a game . I'm a Twins fan cause I choose to be - good or bad .

Win Twins !

Skol Vikes !

You want to know why the Twins stink? The've lost that swagger and do not really have any players that seem to get fired up. Seems like the M & M boys have also lost any chip that they might have had on their shoulder. As talented as those two are, they sure aren't conveying any "We're gonna kick your butt!" body language that I've seen lately. Both White and Kubel look like they couldn't care less if they were playing baseball or not. The other young guys are about as mellow as it gets, the only guy that seems to have an attitude or fire these days is Redmond. Cudd and Hunter can show some gumption at times, but those days are rare. To win in sports you have to have swagger, confidence, and talent. The Twins are short on all three.

Muskycrazy, before you go running your mouth about me being bandwagon and such. I just said it wasnt entertaining when they lose every other game 1-0. I still watch them even when they lose. Yes its frustrating when their offense sucks, but I have been a twins fan since I started watching baseball. I will not cheer for any other baseball team, even if Minnesota ends up without a club someday. Since you live in Wi, cheer for the brewers and the fudge packers. I almost forgot, go write empathy cards for Tommy Kramer.

I don't think they stink, just grossly underachieving. Their core group of guys like Mauer, Morneau, Hunter, Cuddyer have been VERY inconstent lately and no one else seems capable of filling in. Look at Punto, Rodriques, Whites batting average. Why is White even on the team? They trade Castillo away to save $2million, while White sits on DL for 3 months and then comes back to bat 0.149. Put Ford back in his place for crying out loud. For as bad as they've been at the plate, they could easily have 6-8 more wins, with just one clutch hit a game. Frustrating.

I don't think they're underachieving this year, they overacheived last year and everyone thought that was normal. This year they are doing whats average for most of them and you just can't win consistantly with those average players

Train-

agree totally. Rincon has been a bust. Not much clutch hitting, and they seem to score 10-11 runs one night and 0 or 1 the next. The close games decide a season, and this year the Twins seem not able to get a clutch hit in a close game. Biggest Twins fan, but this year is over with the W.C and DIV liklely outta reach. I felt differntly 2 weeks ago, but it's a real long shot now for the playoffs. White--- get rid of him and get a real 3rd baseman. With a bat at 3rd base and the current pitchers getting better, next year is our best shot in some time.

Muddy

I think White is playing because of his fat contract. He was on the DL for so long they just want him playing so we haven't wasted all our money. He did respond well last year when put in the outfield, so maybe that will happen again, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm a huge Twins fan myself, and I won't quit being one because of this season. We've had plenty of bad ones before. This season is just more frustrating because of the success they had last year, and that it really feels like we are one or two people away from a great team.

the bats came alive last night. they have had alot of close games this season that have ended in losses rather than wins like last season. it's just disappointing to see good pitching wasted in those low scoring one run losses.

Quote:

the bats came alive last night. they have had alot of close games this season that have ended in losses rather than wins like last season. it's just disappointing to see good pitching wasted in those low scoring one run losses.

It's been painful for me. I don't think I have ever seen a team lose so many 1-0, 2-1 games. Last years nightly hit attacks were a lot of fun to watch. The pitching has been a pleasant surprise lately. I like our future as long as they can pick up a little offense in the offseason. I don't follow the farm system well enough to know if we have any 25 homerun guys ready for next year.

Quote:

I don't follow the farm system well enough to know if we have any 25 homerun guys ready for next year.

I will help you with that one. NO!

We will need to either bring in free agents or trade to get offensive help. Our farm system right now is full of good pitching prospects, but as far as hitters, the well has about run dry in the high minor leagues. There are a few guys in low - high A ball that could become nice hitters. but they are a few years out for now.

Well that sounds like a correctable situation to me Willy, because I can think of about 20 teams that hit better than they pitch. I'll be expecting an offseason trade or two if our hitting woes continue the rest of the season.