• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Polaris indy 500

opsirc

Question

my son picked up a 92 indy 500 to use this winter. I charged the battery and was hooking it up, without the key even in it, there is a bussing noise from the front of the motor. thought maybe electronic primer, but none of the positions on the switch may a difference. perhaps a short somewhere? any ideas? thanks

O

16 answers to this question

Is it a fuel injected model? If so, not to worry----when you connect the battery, you are also energizing the computer, and the fuel pump will load the rail. The buzzing sound quits as soon as the fump has built pressure. BTW, when you are starting this machine, pull the rope once, and wait for the buzzing soud to stop. then pull the rope once more and you are running.

Hope this helps.

dukhntr

My 92 EFI started first pull I don't remember any buzzing then again that was 93...DOAH~!

Oh the old black and hot pink EFI Indy 500.....man that was my dream sled back when I was a teen, I wanted one of those in the worst way......things sure have come a long way in last 15 years

When fully warmed up, EFI starts on first pull. When started cold, that is the coolest thing about EFI. It starts on the second pull no mater what. Carbs on the other hand are a differnt story. grin.gif

Quote:

Oh the old black and hot pink EFI Indy 500.....

The Pink came off first thing...man that P'd me off they went with that color.

thanks for the info guys. it is EFI, and you are right that pink color does stink grin.gif soon as I can get the key from my son, I will try starting it.

Sam

Only Artic Cat would put John Deer Tractor Green on theirs.. lol

J/K grin.gif be nice grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hope I didn't start something here.

Back then what Polaris did to that sled with the hood pin stripe and coloring made it seem like they were targeting girls. Also I remember my buddies refering to the 500 as a Grandpa sled. I do remember they were good over all sleds.

Back then, I was into Yamaha. Now I have sank into the relms of Arctic Cat. They have been great sleds, but the reason I have them is because of the great deals I got on them.

Back then hot pink and neon green and such were pretty popular colors. If can think back to the hot pink air nets for tailgates, hot pink wipers for your truck and all the other things manufactures were sticking it on back then, I think Polaris was just trying to cash in on what was popular then. Lets not even start talking about the colors and graphic packages that AC has come up with. I always did want to be a fighter plane pilot and AC gave me the chance to have a sled that looked just like one, I passed. I think every brand has tried some questionable graphics and colors to pull people in. As far as the 500 being a grandpa's sled...maybe now they are but back in the early 90's the 500 was one of the most popular sleds around.

Early 90s, it was definitely the Indy 650 up against the Wildcat 700. It was all about the big triples.

Then it was the Storm & Thundercat.

Ditch Pickle green is not such a bad color. grin.gif

hansoncat2ol.jpg

Before AC came out with the all green sled. This was our idea of a "Ditch Pickle" grin.gif

b4.jpg