• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting around Benson, MN

TrophyEyes

I am looking at buying some land out by Benson, MN. Does anyone know how the deer hunting is out that way? I have primarily hunted up by Grand Rapids or down in Houston County the past 8 seasons and have been spoiled by the numbers and the size of the deer. I am actually trying to find a spot that has a little bit of everything, Pheasant, Waterfowl and Deer. I would say that most of my time would be on Deer, but I am wondering if the numbers around Benson, MN support good deer hunting. I am not looking for land, I already have some picked out, just looking for area information. Information about the other species would also be helpful in making my decision.

the numbers are traditionally higher, as well as buck quality, the farther north you get from benson, into the rolling hills. lots more land thats not black dirt. i grew up west of benson 10 miles, and still hunt there every fall, and we get our deer, but work pretty hard. if your prospective property has good heavy cover, as well as water and is near a feeding source or can provide for food plots, then you should be able to have quality hunting. take into account the neighbors land as well, maybe get to know them, and find out if the adjacent properties are hunted and if so, how is it hunted. minnesota deer hunters association chippewa valley chapter could be a usefull source of more specific info, as well as the dnr.

the pheasant numbers have been great the past few years, and waterfowl hunting depending on your location can be awesome. but that all depends on the water, weather, and the fall flights.

Trophy I am from the Benson area and woudl agree with what carpshooter said. As you go north from benson it seems like the deer #'s get better and the size also gets better. However I have friends that hunt south of benson and they have shot some monster bucks too. It all depends on the quality of land you own, what kind of land is around it and how the neighbor's hunt. If you are buying land on the river you should have very good luck.

Pheasant numbers have really came back in the last couple of years and there can be some awesome pheasant hunting too, if the land is right for the birds. I have seen a lot more birds along the roads this summer and last summer. We also had a lot better luck seeing and getting birds in the past couple of years than we did 5-8 years ago. If you put the time in with a good dog you will have no problem shooting some speed chickens.

Duck hunting has fallen off though in my opinion. The smaller sloughs have dried up and the flyway has moved west. There are some ducks around but not near the numbers there was 10 years ago. I still do some duck hunting around here but usually head west to get into areas with better numbers.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot. We are heading to check it out and meet the neighbors later this week. I will let you know what happens because I may need some pointers on hunting this type of country. I am used to the river valleys of Houston, MN and the big woods of Grand Rapids, MN. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up getting (leasing) 323 acres of land in Benson. It is broken out into 3 different farms and all are CRP lands with water and woods on the property. We are heading up on Sunday to put up some stands and figure out a game plan. I don't hunt western MN as stated above on the thread. I am wondering if leaving the heavily wooded strips as sanctuaries, where the deer feel safe is the best route and get them on the edges or in the fields as they come and go. Or is it best to get in there with some stands and be in the middle of the woods. My guess is that the woods are 50 to 80 yards across and pretty dense.

Here is my ignorance when it comes to western MN hunting, where are they bedding? In the CRP fields or in the woods? I don't want to jump them in the morning on the way out there. I am going to look around this weekend, but any help in strategies that work would be much appreciated.

Usually I see the beds in CRP but I have also seen some in the woods. Another good spot is cattails, if you have any cattail sloughs on the property I would be sure to put a stand up by them a lot of the time the big boys will hang out in there.

There are definately some Cattail sloughs. There is at least one per property. I am thinking tucking a ground blind on the edge of the CRP just above the slough or would you suggest putting a tree stand on the edge of the woods that is about 75 yards away from the front edge of the slough. It would be about a 150 yard shot to the far end (fairly long slug/muzzleloader shot). I can make the shot with confidence, but the answer may be cover that slough with two people now that I think about it. One could also watch the woods and the other guy could watch the fence line as well.