• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best lighted float/bobber?

MuskieJunkie

What is the best lighted float you guys have used?

Here is my experience.

The Thill “Lite Bright” – The good, it’s bright, and is a center slip. The bad, the light is a pain to turn off and on, the one that I have owned the battery died after a month of letting it sit (no I didn’t leave it on), did I get a bad one or what?

The Glow sticks – The good, they’re cheap, and they work on a lot of different floats if you put the rubber band on first. The bad, there is no way to test the old glow sticks you left in your tackle box so to be sure you have to buy new ones for each trip (I’ve been on the losing end of that deal and had to call the fishing quits for the night).

I am sure this topic has been talked about but I searched back and couldn't find anything. Thanks for the help.

Not a big fan of the Thill's....

Gamakatsu lighted bobbers are a lot brighter and they last way longer... a little spendy but well worth it.

I get rid of the chain and just go through the plastic hole.

firetip_grid.jpg

I completly agree with the Gamy!!! They are awesome. Bright and the battery is simple and lasts forever.

the thills are a nice bobber but I have to say that i hate the lighting system....I have purchased about 20 of the batteries and they all have died after one use....untill I gave up and said everytime my buddy grabs one they work multiple times so I had him pick one out and amazingly that worked 2 nights in a row but the one he grabbed for himself did not work after the first use........I wish there was another center strung lighted bobber!!!

This one cast just as good as any center strung float it cost a bit more but well worth it.

Gamakatsu Night Flyer Float.

night_grid.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The Gammi's are the best available lighted floats available in the states. National floats are as good or better but you can't find them here. Last time I bought them I had to order them from Japan.

Definitly the Gamakatsu bobbers. I've had the same problems with the thill batteries. Unless you crack the package the night you head out, they're toast.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I use Thill and the batteries last for a very long time I also use them on my tip-ups in winter and one will last a whole season and I fish 2+ nights a week. Are you sure you are getting them turned off all the way? If you do not they will burn out but is turned off and you need to check them in the dark as sometimes you can not see that they a still on a little bit. Most you have to pull out and give a little twist to get all the way off. They should last you many nights. I just wish they would put a collor in the top so the line won't cut into the bobber.

most of the times the darn light won't turn off no matter which way I twist, turn, pull, or push. It stays a light glow then I know I need a new one next time.

Tested all mentioned. I use ESB bobbers (brass insert) and tape (electrician) thill nite brite lite to it. Sometimes they are sticky or hard to shut on and off. But they last so long it is worth taping them on to your bobber.

This has worked the best for me.

I have had many problems with the line cutting into the top of the Thill bobbers, preventing the line from sliding through. This can be a real problem at night when you can't see the bobber stop to know if the lure is all the way down.

Stick with the gamakatsus, or get one with a brass insert and attach a light that way. Just my two cents.

I had so many problems with Thill after buying 6 and all leaked,bad light tubes,line did'nt flow free through,I emailed and complained!! Tagasaki got back to me and stated they were having problems with them and were repairing said problems 2 months later I got a delivery of 1 doz.bobbers with extra lights!! there still sitting in the box they came in! I havnet done any night fishin. cool.gif

Quote:

This one cast just as good as any center strung float it cost a bit more but well worth it.

Gamakatsu Night Flyer Float.

night_grid.jpg

I'll have to try that one. I have not had a problem with the Thill lights other than the cost.

BTW Pier, what is going on with your avatars? You go from Premium beer to what looks like a Walleye? The cat guys are going to get you in for an Intervention! tongue.gif

Jon

massed produced led/battery combo's are so junky...some arrive at the store DOA...some never turn off -> really only last 20+ hours...some do actually work the way it's suppose to work...

Lucky Jacks - better bobber construction, rubber o-ring sealed. Uses same battery type as Thills. A little heavier, but great for walleye night fishing.

Big Thill stick (whatever it's called) - one comes weighted, one doesn't. Pretty good for night cat fishing. Then again, a catfish strike is usually really hard and strong, so even a regular bobber wouldn't make a difference.

Separate battery and led floats work so much more reliable...problem is for center sliding float preference - just don't exist - or I haven't seen one.

Bluefox Firefly (no longer made)- quite small, really good for crappie night fishing.

Last thing...improvise

reflecter tape on bobber grin.gif need a flashlight

little flashlight in a bottle blush.gif

tape on ice strike indicator led light on bobber smile.gif the ones by HT tackle.