• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Area wolves?

river huntfish

Can anyone confirm some stories I have heard about wolves in the st. stephen and st. wendel area. I know their are coyotes and foxes but a guy who hunts coyotes told me they moved out because their are now wolves out there. Can anyone confirm this?

I live in sartell with the county as my back yard. Early this spring I was out for a walk and saw a black wolf. It was definetly a timber wolf due to its size. It didn't run off very far when it saw me. The next day i went out to the area and saw that there was a deer carcus where it was.

I grew up right accross from Lake Rebeca Park Reserve on the Delano Side and have seen a wolf in the reserve before, I used to go out there in the fall and sit in trees and watch the deer to learn more about them for hunting, lot's of big bucks out there.

You know we can shoot them down here without any reason, even if they do not show they are threatening, because down here this is not their home range. Unlike anything north of Highway 200 where they must show that they are a threat to you or your pets/cattle. I have seen alot of wolves ice fishing in the BW's but thats pretty common.

I really don't think you can shoot them here for any reason... I'm quite positive if the DNR were to hear a person say that there would be some major ramifications. That's like saying if you see a Lynx, Moose, or Mountain lion south of highway 200 you can run in the house and get your highpower rifle and start blasting.... R U kidding me. Please disregard previous posters comment about just go ahead and shoot a wolf if you see one. You'll find yourself in trouble. If you see one of any of the formentioned wildlife south of theyre natural range contact the local athorities or you neares Minnesota DNR office. For god's sake just Don't go shoot something for no reason. Besides, you need a small game licence for any type of predator hunting (Fox, Coyotes)...

Yeah you can only shoot them if your in danger or something along those lines... last year bowhunting in Rice i saw a couple wolves at about 50yards or so. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a few out in that area.

Fever please read:

Quote:

Can I shoot a wolf to protect my livestock or pet?

Owners of livestock, guard animals, or domestic animals may shoot or destroy wolves that pose an immediate threat to their animals, on property they own or lease in accordance with local statutes. “Immediate threat” means the observed behavior of a wolf in the act of stalking, attacking, or killing livestock, a guard animal, or a domestic pet under the supervision of the owner.

Additionally, the owner of a domestic pet may shoot or destroy a wolf posing an immediate threat on any property, as long as the owner is supervising the pet.

In all cases, a person shooting or destroying a wolf under these provisions must protect all evidence, and report the taking to a DNR conservation officer within 48 hours. The wolf carcass will be surrendered to the conservation officer.

Conservation Officer Phone Directory Leave a recorded message 24/7

What’s the difference between Zone A and Zone B?

Outside the wolf's core range, in the southern two thirds of the state (Zone
B)
, a person may shoot a wolf at any time to protect livestock, domestic animals or pets on land they own, lease, or manage. The circumstance of “immediate threat” does not apply.

A DNR conservation officer must be notified within 48 hours, and the wolf carcass will be surrendered to the conservation officer.

This is what is posted on the DNR website, I will even post the link of where I got this information:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/wolves/delistfaq.html

There is also a highlighted link you can click on for the DNR wolf management plan, which tells you the difference in rules for Zone A & B.

Maybe I should of specified my response, but the St. Cloud area is not the wolf's core area as we are in Zone B and the "immediate threat" circumstance does not apply for down in this area of the state. So basically how I understand the rule is you can shoot a wolf ANYTIME to protect yourself, livestock, domestic pets, and the like, WITHOUT having the "immediate threat" circumstance/rule to apply. That is the big difference between here and up north where the "immediate threat" circumstance applies. But the least you can do if you see a wolf is to scare it off so it does not become familiar and friendly with humans or pets thats when trouble starts. I never said you can just purposely go out and hunt and seek wolves, that is against law obviously. So please don't disregard my comments, I should of specified my response better.

According to an article in a recent issue of the DNR's own publication, the "Volunteer" magazine, the furthest south documented home range of the wolf is the Fort Riply area. The article went on to document how one of the packs broke away and began to move south a few years ago. There were documented reports of these animals as far south as the LaCrosse, WI area, and I believe that I saw one myself in the Buffalo area. Of the 8 or so animals that went wandering, only a couple made it back with the others victims of roadkill or other means of demise.

If you want somme interesting reading, look up the article.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

There is some in Shereburne wildlife refuge and i am fairly sure it is a pack that stays near year around seeing i live only 2 miles away and see these wolves fairly often. Also Carlos Avery has wolves too and has had them for a long time and that is south of ripley. Just because the dnr has not tagged them yet. Also a wolf was shot in Missouri a few years back. I deer hunt in the arrowhead and I dont mind wolves. I would not be shooting wolves just because you see them or you may end up with a nice fine and jail time.