• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shooting High?

Knute78

I went to the range tonight (as I usually do 3-4 times a week right now, I hadn't shot for a week up to tonight) and it seemed that every time I shot I was shooting high. Not like an inch high but like 4-8 inches depending on the pin. I could not figure it out.

I always mark my main sight housing macro adjustments to make sure they do not move and they hadn't. None of the pins had moved on the micro adjustments either. All the allen bolts were still tight.

I made sure everything was the same in my shooting form as always, I am really anal about this... drew back the same...anchored the same with my kisser...looked through the peep the same...released the same... high shots would follow each time.

Before tonight I was so confident in my shooting that I had my 6 pins sighted in all the way out to 70yrds...the longer pins simply to work on my form as minor release problems show at those distances. Same results on the longer shots as the under 40 yarders, high every time.

The only thing I can think of is that my sring is fairly new...like a month old...but it probably has had at least 750-1000 shots thrown through it...

Can a string streatch that much between practice sessions of 1 week? Could the humidity have anything to do with it these past few days? My bow has been in the garage as the lady took it out of the house when I was gone for a work trip? I usually keep it in the house.

I now have it re-sighted properly after tonight session, out to 50yrds...everything is dead on again...do I need to worry about this changing again? What should I do?

Most likely a combination of small things. Something that comes to

mind with me is the movement of the peep sight. I've found mine to do this on occasion. Its instinct to put your eye in the peep so you do it and don't notice if you're head is tilted a half inch or whatever. CHanges like that are a big deal at long distances. I dab a bit of permanant marker where my peep goes and I can tell if its moved. The string can stretch and creep a little bit, but I'm thinking not that much.

I'm with stroke on this one.. Either your peep moved, or maybe the knock point.. you didn't happen to shoot it through papaer to see if your arrow as still in tune?.. I had the same thing happen to me once, and that is what it was... nock had moved.

i would suspect the nocking pt.also ! buy a cheap bow square,use a pt on the bow that is solid to estabilsh a refrerence; put a mark on the square in where your nock pt is.. then all you have to do is snap it on and check ! del

Thanks guys, those are all things I checked at the range today and everything seems to be normal and nothing had moved... Like I said before, I am very anal when it comes to everything being exactly the same for every shot.

When it comes to anchor point I use a three check system. I shoot a loop with a kisser tied in above it, the tip of my nose on the string (it is marked with a small 1/4" serving) to line me up each shot, and then the peep sight.

I talked to some guys in Sparta today at the Reinhart 100 shoot and they came up with this possible thought. I had completely forgot that I had just put a STS on my bow before leaving for my work trip last week. The Mathews guys theories were that more energy was being transported to the arrow since the string was no longer moving past wherethe STS stopper now stops the string forward momentum, esentially causing my arrows to shoot high because of the new energy being transported to the arrows. Does that make sense to you all, just curious if it is a valid theory.

I guess I will take their explination and your alls. Thanks for all the responses. I am not to concerned after getting re-sighted in today...I shot really well at the 3-D shoot, on the 12-10-8-5-0 scoring scales I avereged 9.96 per shot at the 50 targets. Not to shabby for myself.

P.S. I have the day off tomorrow, I think I will take your advice and head to the archery shop to make sure my arrows are still in tune as well. Thanks again.

anytime you add something to a bow.. even if its just string silencers can make huge changes at 20 yardes.. the STS system you put on could easily be the culprit... Check that arrow to make sure you are still punchin bullet holes.. I still would guess its off to be off by that much, if I had to guess, your rippin a fletch low hole.

All good tips and ideas guys! Just a thought, I waxed my string for the first time in a while this winter. It made about a 2" differance at 20 yds. The string was a high quality custom made job. The guy who built it said this is quite common. He recommended no wax, or constant waxing. Maybe this is your problem?

I agree with all the suggestions mentioned above. I'd second the moved peep theory- a likely culprit. I'd guess it's not the STS. The company says it doesn't impact point of contact and I'd have to agree with this claim. I've seen a dozen or so of them added and they've never impacted the point of contact at all. I can take mine off and put it on as much as I'd like and it doesn't do anything to the point of contact.

Anyway... keep snooping. Something has changed, just gotta figure out what it is.

Thanks for the responses guys. I really swear everything is the same with my mulit check anchor points, my peep alignment, how I am shooting, etc...

Well whatever I am chalking it up to... the STS by Duravane I put on...the String Tamer...it claims to increase arrow speed...idk though haven't ran it through the crono since I put it on...before it I was shooting at 292fps.

I do have the "rippn a fletch low hole" though. I will have to take care of that next time I go to the shop.

Thanks, Chad