• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waskish area, how's it looking so far for bear?

JohnD

We hunted that area last year, and had a hard time getting bears to come into baits with all the acorns and natural food on the ground, how's it shaping up this year? Hopefully better than last year, we'll be up opening day.

There has been some pretty intense bear hunting pressure in this area the past 5-6 years so I FEEL that the bear numbers are still way down from years ago. 60% to 70% down??

I hate to say it but I'm expecting another year when it's going to take alot of work or good luck to get a bear.

I don't think it was natural foods last year that slowed things down as we were in every oak clump in the area last year and the bear just were not there either. frown.gif Too many areas that historicly have had bear now have zero bear or only a little yearling wandering around.

People don't understand that with the number of timber wolves we have in this area if the sow is shot the cubs are given a death sentence. I'm afraid that too many sows have been shot the past few years for us to have good bear numbers now. frown.gif

Great post Kelly!

Unfortunatley we've seen and heard of many sows shot up there the last few years... the usual excuse is given "it had cubs and I was afraid she'd attack me, so I shot her". Lame excuse! They just don't want to admit the fact they were greedy and shot the 1st bear they had an opportunity at. May as well shot the cubs too! There ought to be a preety good penalty for anyone shooting a sow with cubs, unfortunatley nothing would change, they just would say they never saw the cubs and shoot her anyways.

I think there are way more bait stations and hunters up there too. I've only been hunting up there 5 years and the traffic and pressure has increased every year. This drives the bears back deep. Much more work to keep an active site going.

Here's hoping for another good season!

Good Luck!

Ken