• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scrape ???

GRH

Went out and hung a few stands today, and we saw 7 scrapes. They were all at main intersections on the deer trails. I've never seing them before mid sept before. Anybody have any Ideas why they would be scraping already?

I have many times seen scrapes this early in the woods or on the perimeter of the woods or trails. I think its just those young dudes trying out the new headgear. I have never watched one make a scrwpe this early though.

Thanks Harvey, But these were ground scrapes not rubs on trees. and you could tell they were pawed at.

I understand. Deer will paw with thier hooves and also use thier racks. Sometime look very close at a scrape and you can see tine marks in the dirt.

From what I've read about scrapeing the early ones are more territorial. They are telling and finding out who else is in the area as other deer will most likely use them. Some people start mock scrapes in AUG and then let the deer start working the scrapes so it's active for the bow season. It also sounds like the most likely candidate to make those early scrapes is a mature buck so hang a stand close. Good luck.

For me, scrape hunting has been a huge flop. I have tried several times and never had any luck locating any larger deer. Who knows, it could be that I am not going about it correctly.

Most scrapes are done at night but it atleast means you have a deer using the area. I have better luck with rub lines myself but on the other hand I seem to find a big primary scrape close to a good rub line or on it.

Deer have been scraping around in this area. Little deer normaly, guessing it is young bucks trying out the new goods getting ancy to show the ladies how tough they are...wait till they try that trick next to the big boy. laugh.gif

I agree with surewood. Most scrapes this early are mature deer. Don't believe many bucks have lost their velvet yet so I don't think horns are involved in these early scrapes.

This is some information I found in regards to deer size and who makes what scrape where.

Deer Trail - A buck will rarely make a scrape away from a main deer trail. Typically the scrapes can be found where two trails intersect or in a funnel area. Mind you, a mature buck usually has his own trail which is downwind of, and parallel to, the main trail used by does and immature bucks.

So from that statement, I would assume that if the scrapes are on a main trail its smaller bucks and if a different trail, then a more mature buck is working the ground.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I didnt look really close, for antler marks, as I wanted to keep scent to minimum around the area. Hopefully it's the big one my brother saw last season. After he shot his 1st pope & young dear. He said the other one was bigger. Or it could be a small deer to as we saw at least 9 smaller bucks last year. I'll find out in a month I guess. I just have never seing them so early and thought it was interesting

I've found early season scrapes great spots to set up a trail camera . Usually these early season scrapes are in high-traffic areas and are social scent posting locations. Set your Cuddeback up and you'll probably get a wide variety of pictures--and, I bet at least one is a big guy after dark.

Quote:

For me, scrape hunting has been a huge flop. I have tried several times and never had any luck locating any larger deer. Who knows, it could be that I am not going about it correctly.

Find the right scrapes and that are active and you will find exactly what you are looking for grin.gif

Brings me back to one year we were hunting some untouched private land the second weekend. It was a short notice thing. I went in the afternoon before for a short scout walk and right away found a HUGE scrape which appeared to be very fresh. Next morning went in and set up a ground blind close and at day break I saw the monster that most likely made it coming right toward me. I blew it but at least I got to see him. Just like everything....they can work give the right everytyhing.

Thses early scrapes are usually the work of mature deer, not small deer. Hunt them the first two days and leave them alone until Halloween.

From Halloween to November 5 or 6, I only hunt scrapes at mid-day. Try it, you'd be surprised.

Reminds me of my first deer ever, about 25 years ago. Had gotten home from California and the Navy, decided to go deer hunting. I had never been deer hunting before. Found a big scrape, about 3 foot across. The next morning I was walking in carrying my chair, I remember I was running late it was already getting light out. Set up about 40 yards off the scrape. Less than an hour later I see this buck walking into the scrape, I stand up and start hammering at him with the slugs out of my dad's 16 gauge. Got lucky and got him on my fifth shot, right thru the neck. He did a summmesault and that was it. Turned out to be a 10-point, still one of my best deer ever. The gutting was an adventure, I had never gutted a deer before, or even watched one being gutted.

Good memories hunting over that scrape!!!

well we got a trail camera and put it out. Got a picture of a real nice 10 point buck smile.gif. Standing at one of the scrapes. Now I really cant wait for season to open.