• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fly rods for bass

Andrew Erickson

i am wanting to get into fly fishing for bass.I dont want to spend to much money but what weight rod should i get and what are some good starting flies.Thanks

Hi RinCat,

I would suggest an 8wt rod, preferably in the moderate/fast to fast action as you'll be throwing bigger flies. Usually price goes up the faster the action gets though. I have a St. Croix Priemer 8wt combo that was one of my first fly rods. Was a good starter, but not at all happy with it now. Actually have a Gander Frontier Series 8wt made with IM6 graphite blanks that I prefer more than the St. Croix rod. I picked up the Gander rod for pretty cheap, but that was when a Gander store was closing down.

Not sure if you're going to be close to Rochester any time soon, I hear there's a Gander upgrading stores down there, and they don't move anything from one store to another, so everything gets discounted. Happened a couple times in the Twin Cities area here, and picked up some awesome deals.

For flies, I would recommend Dahlberg divers and poppers for topwater. Poppers of either deer hair, or foam/wood bodies with rubber legs. Foam/wood bodied poppers seem to stay afloat longer. Subsurface...bigger clousers, decievers, big wooly buggers, and wooly worms. I personally have a place in my heart for subsurface flies with rabbit strip for a tail. The rabbit strip moves in the water with great action, similiar to a twister tail on plastics.

Size flies usually in the neigborhood of 2/0 to size 6.

Bass aren't usually too fussy, but can be at times. If it's big, and moves, usually they'll eat it. It is a blast seeing them hit the topwater flies though.

Good luck!

I live in Rochester and have been to Gander a lot and almost all there fly rods are gone.

I would get a 9 ft 8 wt. I fish with a RL Winston XTR for bass which is actually a salt water rod with a super fast action and it does a great job throwing heavy flies a long ways, it also provides backbone for when mr toothy hits. The XTR is a little spendy, but any fast action 9 ft 8 would be a good choice. Another rod recomendation I have for bass would be the TFO Ticr or for an even faster action the TcirX.

Hey RincRat,

Come see me at Gander in E.P. have some good deals right now & there are some 9' 8wt's on clearance right now that would probably fit the bill for what your looking for.

I'm there 5-close Mon, Wed, & Fri. ask for Chris the "Fly Guy".

Best Regards,

SportFishin'

I've been flyfishing for about 4 or 5 years, if I were you, I would invest in a Gander Mountain 7 or 8 wt 9' rod, I usually use an 8wt for pike, bass, and carp just to name a few, a 3wt Sage SLT for winter stream fishing for trout, and a 6wt Sage Launch for smaller bass and trout fishing. So if I were you I would definitely purchase an 8wt or 7wt, nothing heavier.

• 1 month later...

Never fly-fished before...what are the best flies for bass and which of the online megastores carry these? Some of the terms fly-fishing afficionados here are the same as the ones used by online stores.I know there are a lot of info here but the terms used don't appear much on the stores.

Greatly appreciate some help.