• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River anchor with 14 foot aluminum boat in river?

I have a 14 foot aluminum boat with 14 horse motor (it's light). I am using a 16 pound river anchor without a chain. It doesn't hold in current. It just drags along a gravel bottom. If it's windy on a lake, it doesn't hold either.

What can I do to correct this problem?

Thanks.

1) Add 4' of chain

2) Let out more line (at least 3x your depth)

3) Get a heavier anchor

Quote:

1) Add 4' of chain

2) Let out more line (at least 3x your depth)

3) Get a heavier anchor

Good Info Ralph....I would suggest a 25lb Richtor anchor if you want to spend some money and not move off of your spot on the river.

I just ordered a product called a Drop-n-Stay. It is designed to fix this exact problem. I will let you know how I like it after I get a chance to use it. They do have a neat video of it on their website. I hope I am not violationg any policies by posting this. Let me know if it is a problem.

just watched that video and its one of those products that you say why didn't i think of that. soooo simple

Ya I guess if your a rocket scientist you would get a couple bungee cords!Seems like their video would just lose sales for them,for the do it yourselfer.

Let out more rope. I use a Roloff 12# river special on a 14' aluminum with a 25HP and have never had it not hold. If the current is really flowing, I let out more rope. I usually let out about 20+ feet to anchor in 5' of water.

TC

Quote:

Let out more rope. I use a Roloff 12# river special on a 14' aluminum with a 25HP and have never had it not hold. If the current is really flowing, I let out more rope. I usually let out about 20+ feet to anchor in 5' of water.

TC

Ditto, you shouldn't have a problem holding. Use more rope.