• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Huntin&Fishin

Does any one have a Mojo Wing Thang and if so do you like it (does it help) does it work for geese? or what motion thing in your spread works for geese?  How about ducks? Thanks

carpshooterdeluxe

stay away from anything spinning for geese. they will flair. when we set a mojo in our field goose spread for mallards its shut off and taken down as soon as geese are seen on the horizon. stick to motion stakes for your field dekes, and get a flag. if you hunt water for geese maybe set up a jerk string or use some of the little hockey puck shaped wobblers when its legal.

You can get more information and ask more questions in the waterfowl, duck & goose hunting forum by clicking here.

We used them on water for geese last year. Did'nt help and did'nt hurt. I personally did'nt see geese flair due to the wing thang. We use two of them where we can during waterfowl season. In my opinion I've hunted over a mojo duck and it does'nt work any better than the wing thang. Excellent addition to anyone's spread and at twenty five dollars it's very affordable, buy one or two you'll be glad you did.

river huntfish

Personally I don't like using it for hunting geese. I have used and yes the geese will often flair. I use it when the sun is going down and the ducks are really starting to fly.

Huntin&Fishin

it a spinning wing decoy, but on a pole. Look for "Mojo wing thang" by clicking here and also start your own topic to share information. That ought to help you.

Actually, I believe it rotates back and forth, doesn't really spin. I don't own one however so I could be wrong.

It takes four AA and it's a spinning wing decoy. You can get them from cabelas.

• Thanks 1

The wing thang actually spins on a vertical axis unlike most spinning wing decoys that spin on a horizontal axis. Hope that helps. I use two wing thangs along with a spinning wing decoy in my field spreads. I think they work great for ducks. I've used them in water on homemade extension poles too but had trouble with it falling over. Dried it out and it still spins!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Rick unlocked this topic
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Anyone still using these?

If you want more information on how well mojo wing thangs work, Click here and go to the hunting forums (green bar) then join in on the - MN Duck Hunting - Geese - Waterfowl-Sandhill Cranes discussion.

I've read about using the Mojo Wing Thang for geese, which can flair geese at times. What we really want to know is, how well do they work for you on ducks and how do you use them?

Thanks everyone.

Also, how do you set the Wing Thang(s) up most effectively? 

• 4 weeks later...
Wanderer

Honestly not sure what the Wing Thangs are - if it’s a new model or not - but I might find out in a few minutes at Fleet Farm.

After today I finally had to say we needed at least one spinner today.  Getting one on the way home from the lake for tomorrow.

leech~~

Last time I went Goose hunting with an Outfitter. They said that they use flags but the spinners seem to flair the Goose off.

The flags did seem to work well to turn flocks that were a ways out.

Wanderer

Are we talking about the goose flappers for wing thangs?  I’ve hunted over flappers in a duck spread before.  No geese came around that morning so I don’t know if they do their job.

Flagging has been a staple tactic for years and it does work.

I think my new mallard spinner did help us get teal yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1

I definitely could see them being effective as spinning wing decoys do work. The spinning wing decoys seem flair geese although there has been times where I've got a lesser or two with them on. I have noticed that motorized decoys seem to be less effective than they use to be, seem to still work good in fields but definitely have seen them flair ducks in water. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick G
      To renew your Fishing license before going out...New ones were due March 1... Also going into effect March 1 New sunfish regs on Horseshoe chain..  Possession limit is now 10 fish.  Long overdue in my opinion ♥️
    • Rick G
      This is the spot I have chosen...  Second pic is the 22 "winter" access.. It's located about a mile and half south  of Richmond Mn on hwy 22.  Last pic is of the route from winter access to the Fishing spot.  First pic is of actual spot I picked.  From my scouting missions, this seems to be the area with the most active fish.  
    • PSU
      Hello again friends. Island cabin in Frazer / Smarts Bay area. We have used AT and T for many years and usually get decent cell coverage due to cell tower proximity, but as usual get buffering when the lake is busy. That being said, we burn a lot of data streaming tv through our hotspot and computer to a large computer monitor. I am considering buying a 32 inch smart tv, an antennae (not sure which networks would be available) and an Apple TV with storage. By doing this I think I should get local network broadcasts (may even be able to get a cheap portable DVR/ bring Apple tv downloaded from home with content to view non-streamed (no hot spot). Has anyone tried this scenario to save on data and perhaps reduce buffering from a low cell signal?
    • Rick G
      We are about a week and a half out yet... As of now, Ice conditions are very good holding at a little over two feet thick yet, we have about 5 inches of new snow on top of it. Hoping we don't get quite as warm and windy as they are predicting the next week as this will eat the ice quick... I will keep an eye on things and keep updated.
    • monstermoose78
      We got prizes!! Working on a few other things as well
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall.  Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.   Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service. A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st.   
    • Hookmaster
      Averaged 18" with a range of 16"-20". Starting tomorrow I should get out everyday while the access holds up.
    • gimruis
      I am sure there will still be safe enough ice to venture on next weekend.  The forecast looks way more like spring starting tomorrow than winter though.  As far as I can see, its nothing but 40's and even 50 in a week.  Its going to make for a sloppy mess out there, but it will still be safe enough to walk on.  The access point could be in rough shape though.   Bear in mind that most game fish seasons have now closed as of yesterday.  The only season open now is panfish.  Specifically targeting a walleye, northern pike, or bass is illegal and could get you in big trouble.  There are exceptions (mainly on some border rivers), so I would encourage you to check the regulations ahead of time.
    • Fishing DA Range and nort
      i skipped the first weekend since 2021.  My kid went out and caught 4 pike sunday.   Shallow.
    • Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)   Thanks and enjoy your adventures.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.