• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Truck Bed Setup

kooba

Would like to see some pictures of how you guys have the back of your truck set up for your dogs and equipment for hunting season. How was it built. I am in the process of making my own and would like to see what others did. Would like to see some equipment boxes where you store your shells, guns, equipment. Any of you have the watertube for your truck? Did you build it yourself? thanks, kooba.

I would also like to see some pictures as I need to get to work on my setup. I would be interested in trucks with toppers.

My plan as of now:

I am planning to make a raised platform that two Large kennels will fit on that will roll from the front to the back of the bed (and can be secured so it does not move). This would then be stored up against the cab side during transportation but allow me to roll it to the back to open the kennel doors without climbing in (I have a large tall truck thats a pain to climb into, and my side windows don't open enough to put my arm in).

This will allow storage under the kennels also, which I think I may make a rolling platform the size of the whole bed that I can pull out to access the rest of the stuff stored on the bottom of the bed.

I also thought of doing something with some drawers that pull out.....but not sure how that would be. Might be to hard to remove if I need to the bed for something else.

Quote:

Any of you have the watertube for your truck?

huh....please explain

Seabass, a watertube is made out of PVC about the length of your truck and hangs on the side of your bed. Its filled obviously with water and there is a two way to either empty or fill. I believe I saw a picture in some ourdoor magazine. I was just wondering how it worked and if anyone made there own and how did they attach it. ITs tough to see from the picture in the magazine. kooba.

For my first full-size truck about 15 years ago I built a storage unit that fit between the wheel wells, had two drawers that held the shells, case of beer, etc and then I put the dog kennels on top. It worked ok but finally fell apart. On my current truck, with the topper with side opening windows, I built a shelf that is level with the top of the box, slid up against the cab, its about 20 inches wide. I can open up that side window, put my gun on that shelf, extra clothes, shell box, etc. Then set the dog kennels to be accessable from the tail gate. I won't buy another topper withhout the side opening windows. My pickup also has the 8 foot bed and no extended cab, I wanted more space in the back of the truck.

Look up a post on kennels last replied to 3/26. Has a picture of my travel set up. Thinking about doing the same thing to a H2 but have to get to a dealer and take measurements to make sure the kennels will fit.

I dug the one out form above the garage that I used when I had my S10. I don't use it anymore and it doesnt fit real well in my fullsize but you can get the idea. I used some 6" pipe I got at work and added a wye for a filler. The four inch filler was handy because I could put a few bags of ice in to keep it cold. Now I have to put the darn thing away. mad.gif

I had a short hose on the valve to fill a bowl at the back of the truck.

100_0711.jpg

On my s10 the dog box was sat on a rack right on top of the pipe.

watertube1.jpg

Four inch filler came up beside dog box

fourinchfiller.jpg

Here it is pulled out for an overall veiw.

100_0712.jpg

Hope that these help,

CW

• 1 month later...

I just thought I would update this post with my progress over the past week. I finally got around to building my setup and this is what I came up with. I have a few small things to finish up on the top deck, but you get the idea. The top deck and the drawers are on wheels so they slide decent. I tried to make it as light as possible without sacrificing too much strength. The top deck will sag a little in the middle with a couple dogs/crates loaded..so I am trying to come up with an extra wheel setup for the middle to support that.

The top deck is supported on the backside (towards the truck cab) so when I pull it out it will not tip if all the weight is at the rear.

This whole system is removed/installed in less that one minute by one person. Top comes off, then the two drawers, then the base.

Everything closed up:

Picture147-small.jpg

Top rolled out part way:

Picture149.jpg

Decent size drawers: Picture150.jpg

That is an excellent design. A friend of mine has a similar cabinet in his truck and it works great to haul guns, clothes, dog dishes, e-collars, etc. Very, very handy.

Thanks for posting those pix...