• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rubber boots or Hunting boots??

UMDSportsman

Last night i picked up a pair of cheaper camo rubber boots, 400 grams of Thinsulate, and I also have a pair of camo hunting/hiking boots, a $75 sale item from cabelas a year or two ago. What do you guys use/prefer and why? i think i will use a mix of the two, depending on how far i am walking and how comfortable the rubber boots end up being.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Muck Boots!

Lightweight, warm, and very comfortable, so comfortable you'll enjoy slipping them on.

I wear my regular Rocky boots, the lightweight ones early in the season and then heavier ones later on. Rubber boots are overrated. Early in my bowhunting career I watched a pair of deer sniff my trail that I left with rubber boots on. Plus you sweat too much in rubber boots. Sweat plus cold weather = cold feet.

I wear lightweight early in the fall and heavier come the cold weather. I've heard rubber boots make for better hunting and my sister actually tried it to make a point. But when comparing rubber boots to hunting boots, neither of us had a problem filling our tags, bear or deer hunting.

I have worn rubber boots for years while archery hunting and will continue. I do believe that if they are good boots, they will be comfortable and keep you dry. When the weather turns colder or snow cover is a concern, then the Rocky's come out.

I have heard that the Muck boots are the ones to have. Not one person I have talked to that wears them have said anything other than very good things.

I pretty much exclusively wear rubber on morning hunts, to keep from getting my boots wet in the dew (on the outside not the inside). Evening hunts I wear whatever fits the temps & what I have to cross to get to my stand. I've shot plenty of deer wearing both & had my trail smelled, or crossed & not smelled, in both. If the deer won't tolerate any human scent you're probably out of luck anyway.

I picked up a pair of Georgia 18" rubber lace-up boots last year from Shooting Sports Outlet and loved them. Usually had to wash the sweat out of them once a week but they were as comfortable as a regular hunting boot and let me get to some tough spots in the Swamp.

I think it depends on the terrain that you plan to hunt. If you are going out west I can't imagen the rubber boots can be anywhere near the comfort of other hunting boots. Maybe I am wrong but I am going into the rockies and I think that added support is needed.