• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Info on Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

BassAkwards

I am looking to buy my first hunting dog within the next year and I am interested to hear what are some thoughts about these dogs. I will be hunting mostly pheasants and some waterfowl. Also, I spend many hrs during the summer fishing and am wondering if they are good boat dogs? Any one with any experience with this breed?

Thanks

I have heard they are challenging to train. I havent tried, but a training partner used to hunt/train them.

Very stubborn dogs. They are also strong and they like water. They make good waterfowl dogs. If you do a lot of waterfowl hunting, it might be a good choice.

There are better choices for upland game, though.

Not so good as a family dog, either. If you have kids around, think twice about a Chessie...

4 pages of posts on page (2) of this forum on this very subject.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1102495&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The right dog is the dog that you prefer! But if I may ask, if you MOSTLY pheasant hunt, why a Chessie? Not that they can't upland hunt, but there are many other breeds that come to mind before a Chessie, if you're primarily a pheasant hunter. A friend of mine used to hunt his on pheasants and it did better as the season wore on... it plain got too hot hunting in the early season. Colder weather and colder water is where his dog(s) excelled. He quit duck hunting and ended up going to a Wirehairs as he didn't need the 'water' portion any longer.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have had two labs and I must say the are very easy to train.My dog now is 9 years old.And decided to get a chessie she is 1 year old and I must say they are a different then a lab.But she is a very good dog not aggresive at all.Good with kids and other dogs.I have only had here for 2 weeks.Just started to work with her.So far she will retive dummie and bring it back and give it to me.I did a lot of research on this breed.They bred out alot of the negative traits out of them.Just my 2 cents.

"Not so good as a family dog, either. If you have kids around, think twice about a Chessie..." I would disagree about this I grew up with a Chessie and I have one now have had no problems kids. But they are very protective when it comes to there family.

I think the Chessie got a bad rap about being "bad Family Dogs". My cousin had two of them both had a excellent temperment. A friend of mine has one and it is a very calm well mannered dog.

Please.....do yourself a favor and do some serious thinking about another breed. Since this is your first dog you will face many challenges and opportunities to learn about dogs and training. A dog of more moderate temperment would be much better for you. Starting right off with a Chessie might be VERY difficult on you....and the dog.

A well bred black Lab female would be a nice way to start. Have her neutered so her mind is always on YOU and your family.

Be kind to yourself and a future hunting pal. grin.gif

I will not disagree with this comment. Chesapeake’s are very stubborn and take a certain kinda love to train!

Yes is this your first dog I would say no.But as I have had this dog for 4 weeks she has been fine.I have around kids and she fine.Also she was a kennel dog and now a house dog after few a potty problems she is ok.So far training has been ok and yes they are not a lab.But as beaning protective yes I want a dog that will watch my house just as my male lab does.Also they are very affection.Just my 2 cents.She also love water but will all the low water and the blue sum have not been able to take out much.

You really need to do some research of your own. A lot of guys are going to post "what they heard" but really have zero experience with them. I have just a little myself. I helped train two. I thought they were awesome! Outstanding family dogs. Not at all bad around kids except they are a bit protective of them. The ones I worked with were second to none in the water..unreal actually. They were solid in the field but have seen better. They actually got a bit hot. Better suited for later field work. They were both big, around 95lbs. I prefer a little smaller. Again, those are just my experiences and that isn't a whole lot.

[Note from Admin. - Please read forum policy before posting again] - no links

My research was not on this site on chessies. I spoke to her breeder and he gave me a lot of useful information-the point about many of the negative traits they are known having been bred out, which we have found true. Our chessie is very good natured and very nice, even with the many neighbors and friends that have come to see her-so social problems at all. She came from a home that not hunted her, but within minutes was retrieving the dummy and seems very willing to learn. Not as anxious to please as our lab, but definately trainable and just seems to need a firmer tone and more repetition.Just my 2 cents.

My experience is based on a Chesapeake that we had on our farm when I was young. My brother and sister were both younger than me...the dog was great around the family. Very protective. Too protective, it turns out...he wouldn't let anyone out of their car if they came in the yard, even if we were around to try to calm him down. He ended up taking a big ol' bite of a UPS man.

In fairness, that would have been 25 years ago, and just one example...a couple generations of breeding might have adjusted their temperments.

I love the breed...if I was a hardcore waterfowler, a Chesapeake would be on the top of my list. But as another post mentioned, while they can do well on upland game, they tend to have a hard time with that much running...particularly if it is hot out.

As I mentioned before, for a family and upland game type hunting, I would suggest that there are better choices.

I had the carpet installers over yesterday and he had a chessie in the back seat of his truck with the window down. I was talking with him and then walked outside. I was by the truck and going to take a look at the dog (just cause I like all dogs) the installer came out and said don't try and pet him he will bite you. He's very protective of the truck. But at break time he had the dog out in the yard and it sure listened well.

I just put my 12 yr old chessie down a few months ago. Typically known as a 1 person dog. They are loyal to their family and can be very protective of what they consider theirs. If you socialize them right from the beginning they do well with people. I found that he really had more aggression toward other dogs than people. Their drive to hunt is unbelievable. If you plan to hunt upland birds they will do it well, but they are a waterdog and excel in the marshes. He never gave up on a retrieve and you could see that he only wanted to please you. An extreamly smart dog. You could actually watch him think things through. Take into consideration the size of this breed ours was over 100lbs. As the others stated chasing pheasants all day will take its toll. I have noticed that some breeders have been producing a skinnier version of the chessie but I prefer the big block head kind. I bought mine from a breeder in Waverly who I think is no longer in business. If you get one as with any dog you need to work with it and you will get the results in the field you are looking for. He was a great hunting buddy and though I already have my next duck dog he will never be replaced.

FnF

• 3 weeks later...

Let me say all the crap about these dogs are bs the only thing I have a problem with. I have to say she does not like any body messing with her dog dish.And I took in a one year old pup and I have a 9 year old lab.Not to say she is mean about her dog dish.Also she is great with kids and people that come to my house.But I also want a dog that will let you know when somebody shows up.Just my 2 cents.

I have 2 chessies right now. 1 10 yrs old and 1 2yrs old. I have trained them both and I will say this about the breed, patience! In my experience, this breed takes alot of patience to train properly. Make sure you do alot of research b4 you bring one home. This is not your typical retreiver (if there is such a thing). Chessies often think that they are smarter than their trainer, and often times takes longer than expected to train properly. If you are set on a chessie, and get the approval from the rest of the family, then by all means, get one. They are the most loyal, hard working, smart dogs I've ever owned. Once you go chessie, you'll never go lab! If your not experienced in training a Chessie(retriever), make sure you find a local trainer that will work with a chessie, as many will not take one on. A hard handed trainer will ruin a chessie. You have to love them into doing things your way. Forcing or physical abuse to get desired results will shut this breed down!

Best of luck to you!

Bret

One of my friends has a chessy that the family didnt have time to train to hunt or train for much anything else. Nice dog loves attention but like every one said he is block headed. He's protective of the yard but hasnt bite anyone. He snapped at my friend one time while trying to get him to move. They also have a really oily coat and can smell pretty bad... That is something to consider if you want him to be a house dog. But for waterfowl that probably your one of your best choices. I have heard stories of those thick headed dogs not giving up on retrieves that most other dogs would have gave up half way through. If you hunt alot of big water and can dedicate alot of time to training a chessy should be at the top of the list.